xisto Community
MiniK

Software Dilemma

Well, I'm making a social networking site. A bit like MySpace, Bebo, Facebook and such sites, and I'm having trouble finding certain software that I need to integrate to make certain parts of it. OK, let's get on with the list..WYSIWYG - I've found lots of WYSIWYG editors (e.g. FCKEditor and TiinyMCE), but I don't know which is the best to use. I will use this on certain parts such as when users send a message to another or edit parts of their homepage. Has anybody got any suggestions as to which one I should use? :rolleyes:Content Management - For the main page, I am looking for a simple content management system on which I can post news and be RSS-ed(is that even a word?) so that people can subscribe to receive the latest news and to be the default RSS feed on a user's homepage.RSS Integration - Every user has a section of their homepage which shows an RSS feed of their choice. Do you know of any software that will display that feed easily and efficiently? I've seen other websites using SimplePie (http://www.simplepie.org/) but I don't know whether it is worth using.Thankyou. I hope yu can help me..~Ryan

1) With snews, is it easy to integrate into a layout I have already created? 2) I only need it as a front-page but I find Wordpress too hard to integrate into an already-existing design.

Yes to both, but the second one requires a Mod that is avavilable at the sNews Forum through the above linked site.

Well, I'm making a social networking site. A bit like MySpace, Bebo, Facebook and such sites, and I'm having trouble finding certain software that I need to integrate to make certain parts of it. OK, let's get on with the list..
WYSIWYG - I've found lots of WYSIWYG editors (e.g. FCKEditor and TiinyMCE), but I don't know which is the best to use. I will use this on certain parts such as when users send a message to another or edit parts of their homepage. Has anybody got any suggestions as to which one I should use? :rolleyes:

Content Management - For the main page, I am looking for a simple content management system on which I can post news and be RSS-ed(is that even a word?) so that people can subscribe to receive the latest news and to be the default RSS feed on a user's homepage.

RSS Integration - Every user has a section of their homepage which shows an RSS feed of their choice. Do you know of any software that will display that feed easily and efficiently? I've seen other websites using SimplePie (http://www.simplepie.org/) but I don't know whether it is worth using.

Thankyou. I hope yu can help me..

~Ryan

For WYSIWYG I recommend TinyMCE. It's certainly the WYSIWYG industry standard.

For Content Management I'd say go with CuteNews. A license costs 20 bucks, but it's very versatile and integrates in a snap.

For RSS Integration, I'd go with the following: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ -- It isn't a pre-coded software, but it's probably the best method for displaying an RSS feed. It's built directly into PHP so it's undoubtedly efficient, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.