xisto Community
Liam_CF

Vegetarianism Vegetarian, Nature Food, arguments for eating meat

I'm vegetarian, so this is a very serious issue for me. There are lots of viewpoints for people. Here are the main ones that I know of:

Arguments for vegetarianism:

* Efficiency- Sun --> Plant --> Human is a more efficient energy transfer than Sun --> Plant --> Animal --> Human

* Morality- Animals are brutally slaughtered, trapped in a cage and not given basic rights, etcetera.

* Weight loss- I know of people who've gone vegan/vegetarian to try to lose weight.

* Sustainability- That carbon footprint site. The argument that we as a species cannot continue to eat meat, simply because it will cause CO2 emissions which will screw up the Earth majorly.

* Personal Preference- The "I don't like the taste of meat" argument.

Arguments for eating meat:

* Personal Preference again - "I like meat, it tastes very nice."

* Protein: Fallacious, in that protein can be derived from other sources.

* It is a cheaper lifestyle to adopt and I'm poor. (this is debatable, it may or may not be true.)

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

1. Eating meat doesn't necessarily entail approving of how the meat is produced. The reason why animals aren't killed humanely anymore is that the demand makes this impossible. Solve the problem of overpopulation and you have perfectly moral meat.2. I know of people who've gone vegan/vegetarian to try to lose weight. This is idiotic and self-refuting, since V People will argue that there are no important food qualities missing from a vegan/vegetarian diet.3. Simply by breathing we create carbon emissions. So even if people didn't have to eat, only process oxygen, we'd still reach an overpopulation point at which the Earth wouldn't be sustained. So, again, solving the problem of overpopulation is the course of action which I conclude from that argument.

1. Eating meat doesn't necessarily entail approving of how the meat is produced. The reason why animals aren't killed humanely anymore is that the demand makes this impossible. Solve the problem of overpopulation and you have perfectly moral meat.
2. I know of people who've gone vegan/vegetarian to try to lose weight. This is idiotic and self-refuting, since V People will argue that there are no important food qualities missing from a vegan/vegetarian diet.

3. Simply by breathing we create carbon emissions. So even if people didn't have to eat, only process oxygen, we'd still reach an overpopulation point at which the Earth wouldn't be sustained. So, again, solving the problem of overpopulation is the course of action which I conclude from that argument.

1. If you don't approve of it, in my opinion, then you should stand up for it. It's like saying wars are wrong, then going and joining the army. You're a complete hyprocrite if you eat meat but believe in animal rights.

2. You can easily find replacements for the protien lost by not eating meat. I eat lots of quorn and things like that. I like the sausages, burgers, nuggets, fillets etcetera!

3. The non-eating of meat is still better than nothing. Yes, overpopulation is a big problem and is contributing to climate change, but so is eating meat, and vegitariansism is a solution.

I am a vegetarian for several reasons:1. I do not really find the taste of meat that appealing, the idea of eating an animal's cooked flesh makes me grossed out. 2. I get sick when I eat meat, maybe it's because I never ate it a lot growing up so my stomach is unable to adjust to it, or what but it makes me physically sick.3. I like animals and think that if we can live without eating meat (which we can) than we shouldn't really eat meat, animals shouldn't be eaten because people like the taste of it, they should be eaten because we NEED to eat it. But since we (unlike other animals) can live without meat, why eat it?

Many vegetarianism is for belief in china, i think. They don't eat animal and fish for mercy. But many animal is grown by man for cooking. if we are all vegetoriamism, so many people will be fired. they will have no job. Society will have havier burden. we will waste more resource. Many recource will not be able to be used. Since with the develepment of science, animal might be changed in to oil run the vehicle. Now man is facing the lack of resources, if in the near future ,we can use animal energy as a kind of resource. If we have no skill to grow the animals ,what shall we do ?

Actually, if everyone was a vegetarian, then we'd have more resources. It takes less space to grow vegetarian food for twenty days than to grow animals to last for twenty days. (twenty is a number picked randomly, basically it takes less space to grow veggetarian food).Also, we can run cars on vegiatable fat. In that way, we would save time and money in not having to kill animals, and spend scientific brainpower on figuring out how to make meat = energy.

i eat meat and respect me for that smile.gif

Eating meat doesn't attracts dis-respect from my side. I respect all animals (including social animal).

But do you respect others, the meat you eat, comes after killing animals, who lost there beloved ones. Do you have respect for them.

Have to sit on the fence on this one. But I do tend to agree I dont really understand why some people went Vegie to lose weight, only to likely to go back to eating meat once they lose a particular amount of weight. Thats presuming a well mentioned sickness related to weight loss doesnt effect the people concerned. Yes, the food chain may illustrate that many would eat meat, but some may not follow it for various reasons.

Great to see another veggie. :rolleyes:
I've been veggie since I was born, so I dont have a clue what it tastes like.

My god.. No delicious bacon, no fried chicken. Don't even try it man, it's very likely you'll enjoy it. And I imagine it would be hard to quit..
Yeah- I eat meat because I don't have moral issues. The majority of the meat I eat is from small family butchers and Sainsburies free range (Tastes better). Whilst Sainsburies may not treat their animals with absolute respect, the small family butchers will definately buy from country farms.
I also eat meat because I enjoy the taste. I'll admit that what I enjoy the most is tampered with quite alot (Sausages, Salami) but there is nothing more delicious in my mind than meat. I'm not saying this to appear a hard man, I dislike steak for instance (Too plain).
Whilst I have friends who are vegetarian- I don't hold alot of respect for them. I would understand avoiding fast food resteraunts; but there are so many ways to get meat from a humane source that looks after it's animals. Alot of supermarkets for instance, use the fact they treat there animals well as promotion for products, e.g. Free range options are always the most advertised on shelves.

* It is a cheaper lifestyle to adopt and I'm poor. (this is debatable, it may or may not be true.)

I find that eating good quality meat is expensive. Alot more so than vegetable stews, soups or lentils..

I respect all animals. But i don't understand eating meat implies disrespect them.Many animals eat meat too. you should respect animals diet. It means animals can eat meat. Furthermore,in the food chain animal of eating meat is vital. They can keep the balance in the amount and species. Otherwise the amout of eating-grass animals will increase rapidly.The animals' world will be out-of-order. There will be no space for men. In the world there will be no plant since eaten up by animals. circumstance will be polluted where men can not live in . In fact , men ,as a part of food chain ,is vital to the whole world. man can not control the world but a part of the world. men can not change the world , but men has been suiting the world since he appeared.

We are not a vital part of the foodchain.We are in a completely different foodchain to any other animal, because we farm our own animals. If we stopped eating meat then it would not make a single change to a foodchain. This is because we supply our own animals, we don't hunt them. Therefore, there would not be any more cows or anything because they are SPECIFICALLY grown just to feed humans.That is all.

Human being did not know how to farm their own animal at very beginning . Only with the socity's develpment of human being ,and poulation was increasing ,food from the nature is limited. Men began to farm their animal. If food from the nature is enough for man. We won't farm extra animal. However human being will kill wild animals for eating too. If we did not farm the animals , people will hunt the wild animal. Thus the circumstance and foodchain will be damaged more badly.

If we did not farm the animals, then we would not have to eat them. Therefore, we would not be a part of any foodchain.I am saying that human beings should not eat meat, and grow our own food in farms.You can still eat quorn etc.