xisto Community
deepod

Databases On The Net

HI,, I am about to attempt my first database project. I want to create a small community that is similar to a myspace application but there will not be more them maybe a hundred friends in it. I am trying to figure this out. I would need to create a database for this. A few questions.1. there will be a login becuase it will be members only, is this a completely seperate database or should the database be one whole unit.2. there will be a place for a picture, a few songs, a couple links to different websites that they like, maybe a short video, ....this should all be in the same databse i assume.3. I am using godaddy for my hosting, do i create the database then use php to put things in and take things out or should i use php all together to create the tables as i go, which brings me to my final question.4. if say i set this up with 100 slots, and then a 101st person joins, how do i work this in.I know its a lot but i have been using this forum for years and have always gotten the help i needed and also learned a great deal. :rolleyes:

HI,, I am about to attempt my first database project. I want to create a small community that is similar to a myspace application but there will not be more them maybe a hundred friends in it. I am trying to figure this out. I would need to create a database for this. A few questions.1. there will be a login becuase it will be members only, is this a completely seperate database or should the database be one whole unit.

2. there will be a place for a picture, a few songs, a couple links to different websites that they like, maybe a short video, ....this should all be in the same databse i assume.

3. I am using godaddy for my hosting, do i create the database then use php to put things in and take things out or should i use php all together to create the tables as i go, which brings me to my final question.

4. if say i set this up with 100 slots, and then a 101st person joins, how do i work this in.

I know its a lot but i have been using this forum for years and have always gotten the help i needed and also learned a great deal.

;)

1. I think it's good to keep all tables (e.g. Videos/users/pictures) in the same database.

2. Yup.

3. If you're using MySQL for databasing then I'd recomend that you set up the database with something like PhpMyAdmin so you can see what problems may occur whilst trying to setup. Once this is done you should definately automate the site to input data to tables using Php, much faster.

4. Data is stored in tables vertically, you can add as many rows as possible. It is possible to limit the amount of rows but that's a strange thing to do, if you don't set it the moment a new user joins it will just add another row.

I don't know how much experience you have in this subject area but I'd recomend getting a good book on the subject. My personal recomendation would be: PHP an MySQL by Larry Ullman. Good luck. :rolleyes:
Edited by elaks (see edit history)

but I'd recomend getting a good book on the subject. My personal recomendation would be: PHP an MySQL by Larry Ullman. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Also, Php and Mysql For Dynamic Web Sites, Second Edition, by Larry Ullman. Same Author.
Includes information about Log-in/Registrations, Error-handling, File Uploads, etc. Excellent source for scripting.

But it really helps to have some php coding experience before you tackle the Mysql side.