xisto Community
paulmason411

Limit Browser Download Speeds looking for a plugin to limit my download speed

Hi Guys,I'm trying to test a site for a client who doesn't have broadband. She has told me that it's taking too long to download. I'm currently on broadband 2 so for me the page loads in under a couple of seconds. Is there a way I can emulate 56k speeds on my browser so that I can see how long would take to download.Cheers.

You know, this is a pretty good topic.I do not know right now how to emulate slower speed. However, you can manually calculate the total speed per page.Text loading is about the same it's either a broadband or a dialup. After that you can add seconds to load every graphic residing in a page. Adobe Photoshop can calculate how long it *may* take to load a graphic, when you go to SAVE AS > Compression rate, and it will show how long to load per downloading speed (option information at the bottom of SAVE AS dialog window). Calculate for each graphic to load (in seconds) and find the tally. Obviously, you can select the loading graphics, in seconds, using the 56k dialup option.If anyone can emulate or come across download speed calculation per internet connection speed, please post it here. Otherwise, it might be something for Annex Script page and coders to come-up with something. Sounds like a next new project, jlhaslip :rolleyes:

I've looked around the 'net and I cannot find a reliable and free service to tell you how long your page takes to download at various speeds. I'm not sure you can emulate a slower speed, but you should be able to calculate how long it takes. An old 56K modem has an average connection speed of around 4kb/s. So, get the size of all your content in KB and divide by 4 to get the number of seconds that site will take to load.

I'm sure there is a far more technical way to do it, but that'll at least give you an estimate.

Otherwise, it might be something for Annex Script page and coders to come-up with something. Sounds like a next new project, jlhaslip

Definitely something to look into. It shouldn't be too tricky to do it with calculations.

Ok so you can either use the method they describe above or you can download some software to do it for you. There are numerous programs available online (some free, some not) that will tell you the performance of your website. Also, there are a few websites that will do this as well. Just google dial-up website speed test or something along those lines and you should get numerous results to help you out.

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to test a site for a client who doesn't have broadband. She has told me that it's taking too long to download. I'm currently on broadband 2 so for me the page loads in under a couple of seconds. Is there a way I can emulate 56k speeds on my browser so that I can see how long would take to download.

Cheers.

i was doing a search on google on SEO and ran across a website the told you how fast a website would load at different speeds. i forget which website. i will try to do a quick search for it and ammend this post if i find it. otherwise, i was searching for SEO at the time or search engine optimization. if you perform this search, with a little research, you may be able to find it if i can't quickly. btw- it was free and web based

BAM!!!!! here ya go :rolleyes:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

I've found the rite software that can perform the task for you :rolleyes:

There is a Freeware called "SpeedLimiter" can simulate the various TCP/IP Speeds, read about this here, http://www.downloadcollection.com/speed_limiter.htm

Download it here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I cant figure out how this functions, but its description matches what you needed. I'll tinker a little with this and let you know.

----------------
I found another great tool at Source forge,

Network Speed Calculator is a tool to calculate the speed of downloads over various speed networks (including the internet). This program supports network speed, data size, number of simultaneous users and networks running under their intended speeds.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/netspeedcalc/
Edited by delivi (see edit history)

Isn't there an option on dreamweaver to do that? It one of the option when you want to preveiw your page. Also, on Photoshop at the bottom of web page saveing preveiw. You can see how long that peice would take to load on 56kb/s.

You can find the download time of the page in the Right-bottom of the Main window in Design Mode. This download time is only for the page and it doesn't denote the time of download for the images, and JavaScript files.The Photoshop displays the time that an image will take to load in a 56Kbps speed , but this cannot be used to analyze a site.

There used to b a tool in dslreports.com about speed test and speed emulator. I lost the page link however speed test is very reliable.Another site speakeasy.com is great for speed test