xisto Community
deepod

Graphics Card Aperture Size Change

HiI just got this computer last week and its running great , bar a few small probs.Today i have noticed that my AGP Aperture size is set to 64mbMy card is a nVIDIA Geforce 6200 256MB AGPI was just wondering if it is at all possible that i can change the aperture size to 128 or 256.I just done today a bios update ,but i still see no setting for me to be able to configure this option.I just manage to get the agp slot running at 8x ,as it was at 4x when i got the computer. I think the bios update fixed that ,but am still not making any progress in fixing the Aperture size.There is no options in the bios to fix this and also no options in the nVIDIA control panel to adjust this .Any tips or info on this matter will be greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

Why would you want to waste so much ram? For a card like a 6200, 256 mb of video ram is overkill. Why? Well, the usage of more ram typically means the video card is running better-quality stuff. A card as weak as a 6200 will probably be fine up to 128mb of video ram, past that, performance will be so slow that it wouldn't matter if you had 256 gigs of video ram, performance still wouldn't change. I highly recommend setting the aperture size to something like 16 mb or lower if you can, there's absolutely no reason to have it with this card. Now if you had something like a 7950gx2 256 mb, then it would be a different story.

Some games require more AGP aperture size to run more smoothly. I remember the time I was playing DOOM 3. And I was trying to set the game at its maximum screen resolution, I got a warning that unless I have up to 256MB of aperture size, the game might have performance problems and when I finally increased my aperture size to 512MB (it was previously on 128MB), I noticed a considerable increase in performance at the increased resolution. Though I was not using the GeForce 6200. It was a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 128MB of video memory. But, yea, it surely did help to have the higher aperture size in there with that card.I think you should consider setting your aperture size to about 128MB with your card if your mobo BIOS supports this kinda tweak.

Some games require more AGP aperture size to run more smoothly. I remember the time I was playing DOOM 3. And I was trying to set the game at its maximum screen resolution, I got a warning that unless I have up to 256MB of aperture size, the game might have performance problems and when I finally increased my aperture size to 512MB (it was previously on 128MB), I noticed a considerable increase in performance at the increased resolution. Though I was not using the GeForce 6200. It was a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 128MB of video memory. But, yea, it surely did help to have the higher aperture size in there with that card.
I think you should consider setting your aperture size to about 128MB with your card if your mobo BIOS supports this kinda tweak.

Do you have evidence to support it? I think the video card you ran D3 on would allow about a low detail setting, therefore, not using much video ram in the first place. Setting the aperture size that big is a complete waste of system ram that could have been used elsewhere.