xisto Community
silver_wolves

Mkportal Help need help with php in mkportal

before i explain what i need, here is what i am using. I am using MkPortal 1.1.2b and SMF 1.1.4 (that doesnt really matter) and i am trying to edit some things within. the things i want to edit dont necessarily involve MKp but im doing it within, so its probably good i told you im using it.i am making a website for an alliance in a game, and we have 2 teams. a strike team and a diplomat team. i made internal pages made and links in the nav bar, but i want to make it so that the leader and members can post on it, kind of like a forum board, but on the page. so it would be like a shoutbox or comment box, but also like the news block. i would want it to be divided into different sections, which i can take care of. but i need help making the news-type thing where members of the different teams can post news about the team, who is the next hit, requirments and all those things.basically a comment box like the news block, where there are different levels of authority of the news. announcments from the leader and comments on that from members. and members can also post things, but not announcements.then i also made a block, which i need help with, because i want it to take the announcements from the different pages, and display it on the block. the block should be divided into announcements and hit list.thats about as good as i can explain it. if someone could guide me along, that would be great because then i can learn. or if someone just posts the whole thing, then i can just put it in Dreamweaver (i dont copy and paste, i actually program it all, it help me learn)Thanks in advance for your help.

I am just curious what game are you playing or is that for? I dont use mk portal and have no idea what smf is but i find what your doing is interesting. Im making a custom management system myself for ffxi online RPG. At this stage its only going to feature news, scheduled events, recruiting and attenance for members. It will handle points/hours farmed and distrobution of drops too. But im not merging it with any CMS or forums because that would be pretty hard its pretty much a stand alone system for now.If im not mistaken MKportal is a cms and has forums etc? I've never tried adding any new features (or custom ones) to a CMS but Im guessing if you want to extend it you'll have to understand how they work and how their databases are layout. I was using a CMS for my old forums before it was called fusion(if i can remember correctly), I wanted to customize myself with tools for managing my ffxi game community but when i looked through the source code (lol) it was too much to understand for me. There was code i'd never seen before and so many includes. Eventually I gave up on that idea since I dont fully understand or know enough to be able to modify it. So thats how I got started on writing my own from scratch it was much easier then trying to extend it on to something i hardly understood. I think if you can view the database in myphp admin or w/e then you can get a good idea of whats being stored and what you need to store to include your custom features.Good luck Im sorry I cant think of anything else that will help.

yea, i posted there, but i thought since there are so many people here that are good with php, they might be able to help. and i like that phrase in the context. that was funny.@sonesay: im using it for Dark Throne. MkPortal is a CMS with forum integration. and yea, i agree, the stuff is complex, but with some guidance, its actually easy to understand.