xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zamaliphe

What Is Dns? Domain Name System (DNS)

Y'know a really annoying thing about Internet Explorer (possibly not 7.0+ though) almost always when there's a faulty internet connection or no connection at all and you try to load a page, IE attributes it to a DNS server error. Although, I suppose it is because it can't connect to a DNS server to translate the domain name in to an IP address. Still, very annoying if you're a newbie to the whole computer thing and are trying to figure out why you can't connect to the internet. [nostalgia}Ah, the long gone days of n00bdom...[/nostalgia].

DNS can also be known as Domain Name Server though the process and so on, are the same. Well, afterall, you still copied and pasted it? You could prolly as well put in quotes and start giving your thoughts about it. No offence here.

Man, I remember trying to host myself off my own computer, using Apache and Dynamic DNS redirection to my IP Adress. That was a long, labor-intensive experiment, and sadly I never got it to work. (Oh well, now that I have Trap 17, I don't need to worry about that anymore).

Y'know a really annoying thing about Internet Explorer (possibly not 7.0+ though) almost always when there's a faulty internet connection or no connection at all and you try to load a page, IE attributes it to a DNS server error. Although, I suppose it is because it can't connect to a DNS server to translate the domain name in to an IP address. Still, very annoying if you're a newbie to the whole computer thing and are trying to figure out why you can't connect to the internet. [nostalgia}Ah, the long gone days of n00bdom...[/nostalgia].

yep

will i think that is because you have the tcp ip ver 6 enabald

try goning to

control panel > network connections>local area connection>properties

and uninstall it

O_o.You know something scary about DNS admins do with this is actually use this as a last minute device so as to find out the internet provider of an unruly and almost unbanable user who keeps returning to one's forum. One of my best friends had to use this as a last resort against a young lady who wouldn't stop harrassing him about how he role plays on an rp forum so he finally used this information to track her internet provider down and complained to them via email, within 6 weeks later he heard no more harassing emails from the young lady again. I suppose this sorta thing is useful when in the right hands but publically displayed....I don't know it just seems *too* good a resource for those in the wrong hands. At least that's my take on this.