xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bradley908

What To Look For In A Pc... Youre going to buy a pc but what do all those numbers mean?

Ok, you need a new or just a computer, but dont know which one to buy...

I will give you a few tips on what they mean to help you choose the right one for you...

Use the chart below to choose what computer you may need.

Key

1024MB = 1GB

Everyday Use:

Check e-mail, surf the net; etc.

512MB Ram

1.1GHZ CPU

Inbuilt graphics

Video Editing:

Making home videos; etc.

1GB Ram +

1.8GHZ CPU

Dedicated 128MB Graphics +

Gaming:

Playing the latest online games; etc.

1GB Ram (Minimum)

1.8GHZ CPU

Dedicated 256MB Graphics +

Web Designing:

Designing websites; etc.

512MB Ram

1.1GHZ CPU

Inbuilt graphics, (Dedicated 128MB for animations)

Hope you have fun, choosing the correct computer for its need.

PS: If there is any other computers for specific things to be added, let me know.

:rolleyes:;)

i would have to say for almost anything now-a-days you want at least 1GB of ram. and dedicated mem for graphics. and at least a 2GHZ processor, dual core being better and quad core even better than that. for games i would definately suggest quad or dual core with 1.5GB RAM + and 256MB dedicated graphics. with the different needs for every program becoming more and more demanding, better specs are neccessary. so those are pretty much out dated, especially if you have Windows Vista, you *BLEEP* wont run.

I would have to disagree with 1.1GhZ CPU it still seems a bit bit slow for everyday use and since your given up RAM you want speed and so I would have to go with 1.5-1.9 GHZ. Speaking of RAM with the updated looks nowadays with most of the email services it will take a bit more RAM, and with vista 512MB is very obsolete; XP might pull that off if you have nothing installed and have fully updated with patches and stuff. I will agree with the on board graphics for the non-gaming, non-vista users as they wouldn't really need it, of course on the opposite side a gfx card would be needed for heavy gaming use and some motherboard on board gfx will not work with vista aero affect. I know that piece of information on hand because the motherboard I have the gfx can't handle the aero look so I get the standard look if you don't have a powerful enough gfx card.

With home video set up your still given up speed, although depending on if a person is just simply making a small video for youtube or converting a video to dvd then it would be ideal. Of course again if your really getting into video editing then expect to have a little more kick 2.5-3 Gb of RAM and 2.5-2.8Ghz, and with the gfx card you can either double up on 128 MB you might have to bump it up to 256 and or if you got some pockets 512MB gfx card.

Although I don't do any gaming, I would say the specs have changed just a bit and that you will need at least 2GB to run a game smoothly, especially the graphic heavy monsters that have come out in the recent years. As for Processing Speed I would say that will vary depending on how many games you install on that computer, but I would say 2.0Ghz+ would be more suitable just because of the graphics. 256MB would seem reasonable as well just depends on the right scenario of course you could just double it up and enjoy your gaming needs.

The Web Designing specs are all wrong especially if your computer is running the new CS suit on it, a computer needs at least 1-2 Gb of RAM to ruin this suite smoothly, a much larger processing speed, 1.5ghz+ would be more suited to prevent any hang ups especially when when several programs at once. I will agree for the most part on the on board graphics card just because people don't go insane building complex designs in photoshop that take a few hundred MB of space to design a website. I would say over the specs you are presenting would seem more about having the computer set up with nothing more then those specific specs, nonetheless, today's computers can run most of those specs and software installed. Of course I wouldn't say that you could get everything to run smoothly unless you get programs that due what you need them to do at have the memory some of the big name software takes.

For some reference for those who want to build a computer from scratch I would check out the tutorial I made a couple of months back about how to start out in computer building, modifying, repairing, and troubleshooting, and here is a link to a computer that a built a few month ago that more or less correspond with what I been talking about in having a good computer that is both fast and can handle a lot of power while being able to handle pretty much anything; however, I have yet to test this computer since it was my first but will be useful in future builds. Also if your trying to look for bargain computer hardware make sure to check out neweeg's website as they pretty much have everything you need on either building, adding, or replacing a computer with.

here[/url]

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Games like Battlefield 2 have already been known to use more than 1 gig of ram, and it's not a latest game. I recommend 2 gigs for Windows XP because ram is pretty cheap these days. I personally have 3 gigs. 2 sticks of 512 and 2 sticks of 1 gig, and the 2 gig set now cost me less than the 1 gig set did ($55 vs $80), and this isn't cheapo ram, I got myself OCZ platinum since I overclocked my cpu.

These specs look outdated. I have a desktop next to me at 1.5Ghz. It's horribly slow, even just for chat and internet; however, it does only have 390 MB of RAM. Even so, I would never suggest a system under 1.8Ghz, even if it was just for chatting, and if your getting a new computer you will need more to run Vista than just about anything else you'll do.

Remember, GHz means nothing if you're comparing 2 different types of CPUs. A 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo will outperform a 3GHz Pentium D Dual-Core.I suggest getting a futureproof computer, the specs don't have to be that good but it has to be future proof:P35 Chipset (ASUS Blitz Extreme) or X38 (if you want to wait)45nm CPU possibly the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 (US$300-US$400)2GB+(DDR2 800MHz+ DDR3 1333MHz+) (2x1GB or 1x2GB)Atleast 160GB of hard disk space, and make sure you're getting one with 7200RPM or if you really want to 10,000RPMNOTE: A 1TB 7200RPM HDD will have better seek times than a 150GB 10,000RPM HDDA good graphics card is essential to games, 3d applications, and even vista...I recommend the 8800gts 320mb if you have a monitor with lower resolutions (1650x1050-) but with higher resolutions (1920x1200+) i recommend the 8800gts640mb, but if you can afford that monitor an 8800gtx/ultra shouldn't hurt that much...If you're really poor (or just don't play that much games, or don't want to spend all your money on a gpu) then I recommend the 8600gts, it is alot better than ATI's HD 2600 and would still allow you to consider turning on some of the DX10 effects...So yeah, if you want a computer, I'd go for future proofing first then try if you can squeeze out a little more money to upgrade your components...

Thanks for the topic and info guys. This stuff has been really helpful for when I plan on buying my next computer. I just got one with a ton of memory and space, but still didn't know what a lot of the numbers mean. This will be good for when I want to get one focused on just video editing and media production. Thanks again.

I have a desktop next to me at 1.5Ghz. It's horribly slow, even just for chat and internet

One of my computers is a Celeron 600mhz (not my best, of course) and it performs the tasks of surfing the net and IM'ing perfectly fine. Has 256 mb of ram and runs Windows XP. I think the problem is more tied to you than to the actual computer, ie. you might have lots of background crap running that you absolutely don't need. Perhaps I'm wrong, but seriously, you got a 900mhz advantage, it should perform better.