xisto Community
shadowx

Movie Review - Saw Four - Oh Yes!

And so here we are again, another addition to the series of genius, comical and somehow comforting torturous games of the man himself, Jigsaw.As of yet i havent seen the film, however in 24 hours i will most likely be watching the end of the trailers and the start of what is set to be a legendary film. From what ive heard the story line is rather interesting, i havent heard much except...Maybe not a spoiler but it does have a little of the story line so if you want it to be a surprise then dont Highlight, otherwise highlight the black area below

The man himself, and of course his jealous accomplice Amanda are both dead, there is no doubt about this, ive heard that Jigsaw planted a tape inside himself and during the autopsy it is discovered and the games begin. Im not sure who is involved but ive heard rumours and we suspect that the man from the last film, forget his name, must search for his daughter and from the trailers it seems there will be more characters new to the series and possibly more answers abut Jigsaw and the games and the characters involved.And that is all as far as i know!

Its being advertised as the greatest game yet and i expect it will be as the games have been getting better and better with saw 3 being the most genius and clever one yet. Saw 1 was good with the psychological factors but the plot wasnt as clever as the second film with the by in the safe, which i thought was VERY genius and also shows how jigsaw isnt a bad man, perhaps slightly mad but still a genius man who makes rules and enforces them. Saw 3 showed how he does want his "victims" to succeed as Amanda broke his rules by first making un-winnable games and of course by killing the wife/surgeon which eventually lead to the death of Amanda which would have been averted if only she had followed the rules as Jigsaw is keen to point out. My expectations for the fourth film are great. I expect an extremely complex, genius yet understandable plot involving very clever and painful, gruesome games and hopefully to see a few winners as the only winner we have seen is Amanda given the fact that the policemans sons was obviously saved in the second film but Amanda won in the first film all on her own earning her the respect of Jigsaw.The only downside to this film is that Jigsaw is dead and as much as i know his voice will still be a part of the film i will still know his character is now dead and that will detract slightly as the man is a legend. Ive heard rumours of a Saw5 and Saw6 so if anyone can confirm or deny this i would be grateful! The question this raises is will Jigsaw be replaced or will he simply have pre-recorded his games and an assistant will kidnap and setup the games?I hope he isnt replaced as it never works when a legendary character is replaced by a new actor or character but of course will have to wait a year or two to discover the fate of the Saw films. In a few days time i shall come back with a review hopefully!

I don't quite understand how the series will be able to carry on now that the mad man behind the game is proven to be dead, not to mention his assistance died as well. I haven't seen the movie, have watched some trailers for it, and will definitely watch the movie to find out what happens, but I cannot help but wonder how they are going to handle this entire situation.If they were to decide to continue it even past Saw IV, there would have to be a lot of careful considerations to be made since people don't like to lose certain characters as you stated before, but one thing I know for certain is that they would never try and jeopardize the entire franchise for a bit of money. Think about how well made the movies are, and then apply that to their tactics when creating the movies and the characters. The universe revolves around the characters, and if they have to replace jigsaw now with another character for some reason, they are going to find a clever way to do it to where fans will not feel left down.At the very least, they will give us what we want. Screams.

It is pure speculation, you have to remember jig saw was still alive by the end of the third movie even though he was well advanced in the cancer and the huge hole in his head, of course the trailer showed he was dead. HOWEVER (thats on purpose), what I am trying to figure out why did they keep on branching off from each movie though , and if your little spoiler is correct then the cop who was trying to look for his son who got caught is either dead by the time the movie starts or dies after the recap.If they do this right ended it at saw 4 with the death of his apprentice, the main evil character is dead and well quite frankly I think the apprentice character is quite lame and just used as a tool literally. If they were smart about saw 4 and end it here, I would throw in small recaps at the end of those who did survive from all 3 movies, because Cary Elwes survived in the 1st movie, so did Danny glover (I think), no one survived in #2, and Jeff (characters name) survived in #3. Or maybe bring small cameo's after learning about of jigsaw's death.I just hope number 4 is just as nasty as the third one because Saw III was the best of all three so far, and everyone knows how lack luster sequel number 3's have become this year.

It is pure speculation, you have to remember jig saw was still alive by the end of the third movie even though he was well advanced in the cancer and the huge hole in his head

Unless im confused Jeff sliced Jigsaws throat with the circular saw/grinder. Hah, just realised how ironic it is that Jigsaw was killed by a saw...
Im sure that he is dead and Amanda too though to be fair it is possible in the world of Hollywood that there might be another assistant who will run in and save Amanda who just fell unconscious or something rather than actually dying. As for Jigsaw the trailer does indeed suggest he is dead and i also suspect that, even though it is just a film, the writers wouldnt try to make us believe he somehow survived all that happened in the third film.

One of the many questions that need answering is what was on the tape that Jigsaw poured candle wax onto?

I would throw in small recaps at the end of those who did survive from all 3 movies, because Cary Elwes survived in the 1st movie, so did Danny glover (I think), no one survived in #2, and Jeff (characters name) survived in #3. Or maybe bring small cameo's after learning about of jigsaw's death.

I would agree with that because i know some of what happened to Eric the cop but i still dont know if he is currently dead or hanging on to dear life in the house as you said. I know Amanda done him over pretty good but i cant remember if the film showed his ultimate fate so i suspect there will be flashbacks to that

I don't quite understand how the series will be able to carry on now that the mad man behind the game is proven to be dead, not to mention his assistance died as well. I haven't seen the movie, have watched some trailers for it, and will definitely watch the movie to find out what happens, but I cannot help but wonder how they are going to handle this entire situation.

Well ill put this in spoiler tags as im fairly sure this is how they will keep the idea of Jigsaw alive despite the fact the man behind the mask is dead, its not a spoiler as such but this way you have a choice...Live or Die.. :P sorry couldnt help it!...

As i understand the plot the legend will be heard through his tapes that he recorded before his death but how the games are set up i dont know, maybe another assistant or maybe by Amanda before they both died but i dont think this is very likely as Jigsaw didnt trust her.

Tonight is the night all my questions are answered, its currently 9:4O AM and im seeing the film at either 6:4Opm or 9pm so not long to go now!

On a related note, given the popularity and genius or the films i am very surprised that there havent been any copycat killings from slightly mad folks who would like to revive the legend, hopefully that doesnt happen!

Actually I would have to put saw II and saw III up top at number #1 since those two movies had more of a story with them, then saw 4 as it continues the story, and the saw I since it introduced us to jigsaw. I will mention that some of spoilers mention are are close to accurate but to which spoilers I am referring to well, you just have to watch the movie to find which ones are correct.

I did post a non spoiler review of the movie yesterday, you can click here to read it.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

I love the Saw movies!I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out what is going to happen because I am always wrong. Even when I am sitting there watching them! It gets to the last minutes and I am proven wrong!I am going next weekend to see it with my girl, and it better make her scared! lolNo one ruin it for me!

Saw rulez :rolleyes: I was very excited a few month when I saw there will be a fourth part ;) But I have to watch the third one again first cause I just can't remember how died in the end and did someone live :D :D Anyway nice film :D It really...inspires you :D Hope that I will not kill my neightbours after I see the 4th part :D

Ah what a great film! I saw it friday and its now sunday so im going to steer this topic towards discussing the plot and characters etc so there would be spoilers from here on out, if you are posting spoilers then put them inside the spoiler tag so we dont ruin it for everyone!SM already wrote a review that is set to be filled in so he doesnt spoil the film so i wont be reviewing the film, but as he says in his topic the timing of this film compared with saw 3 is very confusing but here is what me and my friends and Wiki have confirmed:

the first scene in the film, Jigsaw being cut up is in fact the end of the film. not many films can manager to show the ending as the first scene and pass it off as the start!From that we figured that one of two things happened, saw 3 and 4 are happening at the same time or 4 happens very slightly before 3, however wiki confirmed that saw 3 and 4 are running together, so while Amanda is creating the un-winnable games and is being tested by the man himself the detective hoffman, the new apprentice is running and setting up the genius saw 4 games. With this is mind we go back to saw 3 where we are shown, and of course suspect anyway, that hoffman helps amanda put the FBI agent into the angel trap which is unwinnable, now this raises questions such as why isnt hoffman being tested too, but then of curse we must go back to the scene of the tape in jigsaws body which Hoffman plays and it informs him that he will be tested, so i suspect he will be tested for two reasons, to make sure he is a fair gamer and to ensure that he is suitable to continue Jigsaws work and this will most likely form the plot for the next film, but then more questions.. who will set up these games? Another assistant or did Amanda already do it before she died? Interesting..Also if you read the wiki on the last 3 films about the games and traps used you will reaslise that many of the traps in the fourth film are actually the rejected traps from the last 3 films, for example the rapist type guy that is shackled to the bed, originally in the third film with the black guy in the twisting rack thing he was going to be placed in the rack style device that the rapist is put in that would just pull his limbs off, but instead the twisting tack was used. Also with the first trap jigsaw made, the knife to the face trap, this was a trap from an earlier film that wasnt used, originally it was going to be a waffle iron that a woman would have to push it with her face to scar it etc.. Good stuff! The twist at the end with Hoffman being the new guy really got me, i didnt expect that one bit. When he just unstrapped himself i thought he had managed to escape of something, it was brilliant! And then with him being what closed the door on saw 3, also brilliant! I especially like the way that they cut the film to show the autopsy first, leading us to believe that the testing the tape suggests is what we are seeing but it isnt, the testing is yet to come.And the general trap is genius, there are no bonds on the swat guy except those he placed on himself when his obsession to save began. The irony that the only way to save them would be to let the games continue is brilliance, it is a brilliant test of his character and it did suffice as an efficient way of testing from Jigsaws poit of view as he did follow the rules for some time by strapping his victims in and such but then failed the ultimate test and effectively killed Mathews and himself by walking in on the game in progress. the way Mathews is dispatched had me in stitches! hahaha! that was brilliant!

And that is most of the spoilers over. I didnt expect this film to be so gory! Im a massive fan of gore but the opening scene SPOILER:

especially where his face is peeled back

is extremely gory! I really didnt expect that. and for the first few scenes i thought this film was going to be just a gore fest with no real story line but then the games began and it is so genius its unreal!So my advice is see it, understand it, then see it again and read the wikis before you truly understand it, i still need to read the saw 4 wiki and get the uncut DVD :rolleyes: My rating is a 1O a big fat TEN! Again this series is one of the very few films where the sequels are actually better than the prequels! Good work Twisted Pictures! Keep an eye out for the next saw films and other films by twisted pictures, of which i know one but i cant remember the name.

I thought as much about how the first few minutes of the beginning and the last few minutes of the ending was set up; however, the question remains why

hoffman

though? If they do go on with the 5th movie hopefully that they will explain why he did it. Of course the whole thing with jigsaw's

wife

is what really threw me off though, and your right I thought he was freeing himself too, but when he give that look you know everyone was like :rolleyes: and a couple of choice words. I would have to say that the

ice block

was the nastiest of all of them just because

you could actually see his head being crushed

like it was in slow motion.

However, I find it interesting with the lawyer's test though, I don't think it was even part of any of the movies though, because you don't really focus on his character til later on in the movie and how he was revealed. Heck I didn't pick up on his character until the cop recognized him and then it clicked who that was in the very first scene.

I might have to check out the wiki's on the movies and see what kind of information they have and try to compare it to what I remember about that movie though.

Yep..wonderful movie!! "Game over"........OMG!! I never thought it would end THAT way. I don't want to say TOO much about it. I don't know who has or has NOT sen it yet. But...I REALLY recomend it!!

The best part is that you feel inside the movie, like live action, and you never guess right what will happen next... Saw Movies are nowadays a Clasic in the horror genre...