xisto Community
soleimanian

How To Disable Internal Speaker

How to disable internal speaker

1- Go to Start menu > click on RUN and then type regedit to run Windows Registry Editor.

2- Go to following address:

Hkey-current-user\controlpanel\sound
3- Create a new STRING value and name it as Beep, give it value of No.

4- Close Windows Registry Editor and restart your computer

Note: incorrectly editing registry entries may cause several damages, please create a back up from your registry entries.

Very good to know, I find that there are times in programming class (it's high school) that it is very useful to be able to disable the speakers; however, we usually end up disabling them the more permenant way (snip snip).

The Internal Speaker? As in the speaker which is housed in the processor and can only make monophonic sounds? I've never had a problem with it before. It's such an old relic the only time I've found it to be of any issue, even when emulating old DOS programs. If I need to emulate those programs chances are there's some emulator out there that changes processor beeps to the speaker, where they aren't an issue if I don't want them to be.Besides, when it wants to beep, Windows won't be able to do anything about it! :P

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

Messing with registry editor can damage computer system...so be extra careful... :rolleyes:I dont think it's very good idea to disable internal speaker....it's very useful when hardware have error to warn us......

Notice from rvalkass:
Merged double post. Try to avoid double posting, and use the edit button to add to your previous posts. Thanks.

Depends on the speaker. If it is a system speake that is not attached to the motherboard you can just disconnect it. If not a good chance may be to check you bios. Just remember when in your bios just dont change anything you are not sure of. You dont want to permantly mess up your pc.

How to disable internal speaker

1- Go to Start menu > click on RUN and then type regedit to run Windows Registry Editor.

2- Go to following address:

Hkey-current-user\controlpanel\sound
3- Create a new STRING value and name it as Beep, give it value of No.

4- Close Windows Registry Editor and restart your computer

Note: incorrectly editing registry entries may cause several damages, please create a back up from your registry entries.

OR..... you could do it the CORRECT way. My philosphy on editing the REGISTRY is DON'T do it. There will always be a more simple and SAFE way to perform most functions. [HACKS]

Anyway... Should somebody get sick and tired of hearing the obnoxious BEEP on their PC (In my case I did this on my WORK laptop since I perform remote duties and most apps/viewers send a BEEP signal upon enter/exit or for EOF.).

1. Go to 'Device Manager'.

2. Click View and click "Show hidden devices"

3. Find "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" in Device Manager.

4. Click on the + next to "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and double-click on 'Beep'

5. Within the "Beep properties" window click the Driver tab.

6. Under the driver tab if you wish to temporarily disable this device click the Stop button. If you wish to permanently disable this device under the Startup Type select Disabled.

Thanks so much!How To Disable Internal Speaker

Thanks for posting this response.  I agree that changing the registry editor is a bad idea overall.

In response to the other posts on this thread - if you can find another way to turn off the annoying beeps that are constantly emitted from SSH Secure Shell and Exceed Hummingbird X11 Client, I challenge you!

Trust me, there is nothing urgent those beeps are really telling you that wouldn't pop up as a window notification alongside the beep.  They are usually only alerting you to the notification itself.

-reply by Christina

How To Disable Internal SpeakerHow To Disable Internal Speaker

In Windows 7:

- Click on the 'Speaker' icon on the Taskbar (the volume slider control should popup)

- Click on the 'Speaker' icon on top of the Volume slider control

- on the 'Speakers/Headphone' properties window, Select the 'Custom' tab'

- Click (de-select) on the 'PC Spk Mute' checkbox

Hope this helps,

Arun

-reply by SArun

SArun!How To Disable Internal Speaker

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I can't tell you how long I have been looking for what you just showed me.

You are the best.

-reply by Lake

SArun!How To Disable Internal Speaker<p>THANK YOU SO MUCH.</p><p>I can't tell you how long I have been looking for what you just showed me.</p><p>You are the best. </p>-reply by Lake

Thanks sanemanmad

you helped ous out big time

Thank you.so very much.I have an Asus A8N-SLI32 mobo. There's been this horrible speaker buzz which I just assumed was some bad contact somewhere. Turns out it's a driver issue with the onboard Realtek audio, but that the solution was to disable the internal speaker. I couldn't find for the life of me where to do this in Win7 until i read this post. For the Realtek, instead of the "Custom" tab, it's called the "Levels" tab. There you can slide PC Speaker down to 0.