xisto Community
Will.Allison

Your View Of God Why do people believe?

Personally, I do not believe in God. I do not think there is someone watching over us that changes or even effects our lives in anyway. What I am curious about is why people began to believe in God. I believe people now do it because they want to have faith in something and they want to know there is something more than this life. But how did this belief in God come about? There are many different beliefs n what God has done or what God is. Why did people believe their relgous leaders? Now we are a lot less religous than we first were, there is no longer peer presure. But many still believe without any proof.I am not trying to say you are wrong by being religous. I am just curious. Why do you believe?

Before i answer your question, i would like to invert your question by asking, why do you not believe in God?

What I am curious about is why people began to believe in God. [1]I believe people now do it because they want to have faith in something and they want to know there is something more than this life. [2]But how did this belief in God come about? [3]There are many different beliefs n what God has done or what God is. [...] [4]Now we are a lot less religous than we first were, [5]there is no longer peer presure. [6]But many still believe without any proof.
I am not trying to say you are wrong by being religous. I am just curious. [7]Why do you believe?

[1]If that were the case, what would be more likely to happen: they come up with their own religion or follow one already established? The person would be taking in a subjective view of the world rather than objective. I would say the former would be more likely to happen.
[2]Ever read the Old Testament?
[3]Please keep in mind that the Abrahamic God should not be considered the same as other gods. Big G is known as the Abrahamic God, small G is known as either a (righteous) human, a statue (i.e. an object) or a god found in another religion.
[4]That depends where you live.
[5]That depends on who you are observing.
[6]Many have all the proof they need and continue receiving it.

[7]I believe because all the questions i asked pertaining to my religion were answered in an acceptable and logical way.

i believe in a supreme being called God becasue there is no other explanation for our existance. i surf and i attribute all mother nature to God. how can something so beautiful just BE. even if its looked at scientifically, there is no beginning of time. when was it? we learn more and more as we advance in science but what was before all the theories? even if they find out we came from a single cell organsim and evolved and the earth was created by some explosion, what explains were that organism came from. this is a horrible argument becasue most athiests would just say, "prove God made all that", but most beliefs are based on faith. SOME people have faith becasue they are scared of what happens after they die or for the sense of security they get or the attribution of good or bad in thier life becasue of what they believe..or simply just becasue thier family is religious. everyone has a personal difference and even within one religion, people might think different. God is sorta a universal figure coexisting in many religions so when it comes to God, i think personally, It is a supreme figure, with no sex, attributions, or descriptions. God is infathomable to imagine. God is everything, God created everything. My God watches over me, keeps me in line, gives me big surf :P gives me a sense of well being. God is forgiving, God is whatever you want Him to be. Some say God is to be feared. I say my God is powerful and should be respected. I believe my God has a sense of humor. People should make life what they want. they should believe what they want as long as it can exist in thier society. In the end, whats the difference? we all die. who cares if there are aliens, ghosts, whatever people believe in. But what else can you attribute emotion, beauty, birth etc. too? not everyone believes what is written in the bible but atheist or not i think people should read parts of it for educational reasons. i've read the mormon bible, the koran, the King James christian bible. it gives insight to yourself and lets you decide what, who or even if, God exists. find out for yourself if there is a God. theres no purpose in finding someone elses God and always being skeptical in if you are right or wrong. there is no such answer.

I can only say that I do not believe in God now, but I am not sure if I will or not believe in God in future. Because there is no evidence for there is someone effects anything in anyway. But I am not sure that there is nothing watching over us.I think people began to believe in God in some different way, someone may "see" God himself, someone just follow his parents, someone believe in God just because he met something can't explain in science.World changes a lot, only those religons keep advancing will alive.Anyway, I think to believe in God is benifit to one himself and to all of society.

Before i answer your question, i would like to invert your question by asking, why do you not believe in God?

I do not believe in God because I have no proof of his existence, as of right now I have no need for God's existence, and I do not believe anyone is watching over us. I am a logical person. It is hard for me to get past something that cannot be proven. I do realize that I cannot disprove his existence either. This is called pseudoscience because it cannot be disproved. I do believe someone or something created everything. I do not believe in the fundamental description of God. I do not believe God is watching over us or has any control of what we do now or after this life.

[7]I believe because all the questions i asked pertaining to my religion were answered in an acceptable and logical way.

Now that all depends how you define logic. Yes, it may answer all your questions but does that make it true? Again, if I offend you, I am extremely sorry. As I said before, I am just curious.

how can something so beautiful just BE.

With the same logic, how can the ugly things be? I am not talking about aesthetic appeal. I am talking about the natural things that occur that are so damaging in so many ways. Or even the unnatural things like the horrible things people do. Do you believe God set all these things in order? Do you think God meant for all this to happen?

I agree with you that our universe could not have just appeared. But is your description of God only a "creator"? Or do you think God is watching over you?

Edited by Will.Allison (see edit history)

i believe in GOD. heh, you are funny, dude. i tell you why i believe in GOD:When i'm dead:1. i believe in GOD but GOD doesn't exist. i lose nothing instead i've spend a precious time with the believers. i've known diffrent peoples in church and learn many things from them.2. i don't believe in GOD. Me n you will be damned in hell. goodbye.3. God exist. i was placed in paradise. Send my regards to your friends in hell.

i believe in GOD. heh, you are funny, dude. i tell you why i believe in GOD:

When i'm dead:

1. i believe in GOD but GOD doesn't exist. i lose nothing instead i've spend a precious time with the believers. i've known diffrent peoples in church and learn many things from them.

2. i don't believe in GOD. Me n you will be damned in hell. goodbye.

3. God exist. i was placed in paradise. Send my regards to your friends in hell.

So you believe in God for fear of the consequences? Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard someone admit to that. This is a logical solution to a illogical(at least to me) problem. But, believing in God and fearing the consequences are two totally different things. I do not think this qualifies as beliving if this is your only reason.

I do not believe in God because I have no proof of his existence, as of right now I have no need for God's existence, and I do not believe anyone is watching over us. I am a logical person. It is hard for me to get past something that cannot be proven. I do realize that I cannot disprove his existence either. This is called pseudoscience because it cannot be disproved. I do believe someone or something created everything. I do not believe in the fundamental description of God. I do not believe God is watching over us or has any control of what we do now or after this life.

Ah, you're not an atheist like i thought you were. You're a Deist. Amazing on how there's a word for everything now-a-days, huh? :P

But i ask you something else, only this time relating to things needed to be proven in order to believe: Do you believe in Napoleon Bonaparte? How about Julius Caesar? Christopher Columbus? If so for any of these, how were they proven to you?

Now that all depends how you define logic. Yes, it may answer all your questions but does that make it true? Again, if I offend you, I am extremely sorry. As I said before, I am just curious.

Logic is not perfect. Although it is one of our ways to verify data, it is still flawed due to ignorance. If something doesn't make sense, that does not automatically declare it false. And if something makes sense, that doesn't automatically declare true. The way i define logic is in categories. I realise there are different kinds of logic, but i will list a few of my categories for example: hard logic, average logic, irrational logic, etc. If i did not check to see if it were true or not, i would not have believed. On the same note, i'm a Non-trinitarian Christian for that reason.

Also, i am not one that gets offended easily, and i am one that welcomes questions, assuming you're willing to accept the answer(s) to these questions.

But is your description of God only a "creator"? Or do you think God is watching over you?

Both can be possible at the same time. You speak in a way that seems limited to one account.

But i ask you something else, only this time relating to things needed to be proven in order to believe: Do you believe in Napoleon Bonaparte? How about Julius Caesar? Christopher Columbus? If so for any of these, how were they proven to you?

They have been supported by historical evidence. Multiple references from many different people at the very least. And even if they were not supported by this evidence, believing in them would have no effect on my life. By believing in God I would be saying that there are things that effect me that I cannot control, which I do not believe(please be rational with this statement, there are obviously exceptions). Believing in the people stated above has no effect on me.
One may argue that God is supported by this evidence as well. The evidence for God comes from very few people in very strange circumstances that could have many variables.

Both can be possible at the same time. You speak in a way that seems limiting to one account.

True. But what I meant by that is do you see him only as a creator.

They have been supported by historical evidence. Multiple references from many different people at the very least. And even if they were not supported by this evidence, believing in them would have no effect on my life. [1]By believing in God I would be saying that there are things that effect me that I cannot control, which I do not believe(please be rational with this statement, there are obviously exceptions). [2]Believing in the people stated above has no effect on me.

[3:1]One may argue that God is supported by this evidence as well. [3:2]The evidence for God comes from very few people in very strange circumstances that could have many variables.

[1]I am being rational, and there are things in life that can affect you which you cannot control whether or not you believe in God. You see it in many places (e.g. the cost of living raising).

[2]It does have an affect in your life, though insignificant to you, it does affect you—it affects what you know.

[3:1]Mhmm.

[3:2]The evidence did not come from very few people, it came from many—over 1500-years worth of people. And though they may appear strange to you, that does not mean that the events did not happen, nor the reasoning behind it being false.

[3:2]The evidence did not come from very few people, it came from manyover 1500-years worth of people. And though they may appear strange to you, that does not mean that the events did not happen, nor the reasoning behind it being false.

I seem to have been foiled by your superior logic. I don't know why, but that still dosnt change my mind at all. I think part of it is I have seen what religion can cause, I don't want to be a part of that. And also that I see no benefit for my believing. But now I'm being a hypocrite and even if I did see a benefit that wouldn't change my belief either. It would just change the circumstances.
It's a confusing subject that I don't think I will completely resolve for quite some time.

Also, thanks for the conversation. I enjoyed it immensely.

Anything else you want to add?

Anything else you want to add?

Just that i enjoyed it as well and thanks for your time. I too have seen what religion can do, and as a believer i must support those that do good and shun evil, though i tend to rebuke evil more than shun. :P I await to see others' reason(s) for their belief.

Well, being a Christian myself, I do say there is a God.Some atheists, have to see to believe. If they do not see it, hear it, smell it, taste it, or touch it, it isn't real to them. They see faith as a silly thing. And lets face it, it can be sometimes.Here's the thing about the CLOSE MINDED atheists (not the ones who have at least given a religon a try) that bothers me, They alwasy say, "well, if God loved us, why would he put bad things and EVIL(there will be a reference to this word later in my post) in the world?" Well, first of all, let me insert some scientific references (since you guys love science so much :P) This will make more sense later in muh post B)You believe in heat right? Yes you do... or I would hope you do.You believe in cold right? You do? Well, I don't believe in cold. you know why?Cold is an adjective used to describe the absence of heat. You can lose heatand lose heat, untill you reach the point of absolute zero, and then after, you can not lose more heat. We use the word cold to describe the lack/absence of heat.You believe in Light? You should.You believe in darkness right? You probably do.But, you shouldn't. This is because darkness, yet again, is an adjective. It is an adjective to describe the lack or absence of light. you can have no light, dim light, normal light, and bright light and so on. Light can get brighter and brighter and brighter (I don't know what the limit on it is... but whatever.)But darkness has a stopping point. Once you reach pitch black, you can not go any darker.Do you believe in life? I have doubted it before, but I do currently.Do you believe in death? I guess so. But technically speaking, there is no such thing as death, because death is only the absence of life.So do you believe in Good?Do you believe in Evil?Well, I always see good spelled like God with two o's.But anyways, there is no such thing as evil, because evil is only the absense of good, or God, wich is good, so therefore the thing we call evil is only the absence of God.And, the other thing about atheists is they go by observations (MOST OF THEM, I AM NOT BIASED). The ones who have to see to believe. If they do not see it, hear it, smell it, taste it, or touch it, it isn't real to them. They see faith as a silly thing. And lets face it, it can be sometimes.So, if you are one of those atheists who go by hat I just stated, go find a mirror. Look at your forehead. Can you see your brain? Can we hear your brain? Can we touch your brain? Can we smell your brain? Can we taste your brain? No we can't. So by your logic, it must not exist. but oh wait a minute, you're alive and breathing, so we ASSUME it does. but you see faith as a silly childish thing. So therefore, it is silly and stupid to think that your brain exisists... OWNED!Sorry, i just thought i would through that in there.As for the Do I believe in God, I do, because he has done so many wonderfull things for me... things that could have never happened otherwise.

But anyways, there is no such thing as evil, because evil is only the absense of good, or God, wich is good, so therefore the thing we call evil is only the absence of God.

You are using the transitive property poorly there. There are arguments against God being good, and God is not described solely as "good". Therfore, the transative property does not apply.

So, if you are one of those atheists who go by hat I just stated, go find a mirror. Look at your forehead. Can you see your brain? Can we hear your brain? Can we touch your brain? Can we smell your brain? Can we taste your brain? No we can't. So by your logic, it must not exist. but oh wait a minute, you're alive and breathing, so we ASSUME it does. but you see faith as a silly childish thing. So therefore, it is silly and stupid to think that your brain exisists... OWNED!

I have seen a brain. I know they exist. I can feel heat and cold.
I do realize that there is more than just physical things but physical senses proves their existence to me. I know there is more than what I can sense, but not necessarily God.

As for the Do I believe in God, I do, because he has done so many wonderfull things for me... things that could have never happened otherwise.

How do you know God is responsible? Why do you believe he is the one that did those things?
And also, how do you explain the bad things? Is he testing your faith or is it just something that came from free will?

Just to clear things up, I am not an atheist. I just don't believe in God. There is a difference.

I believe in God, however I am against the idea of religionMost of the time people question me when I say this, so let me clarify.MY view of religion is the whole "Go to church, follow rules, dont sin, ect"The whole system is extremely pointless.People have fought WARS over religion, and I personally find it a waste of timeI believe that if you have faith in a God or deity or whomever/whatever your faith lies in, I think that should be more than enoughJust lead a simple life, dont overload yourself with religious hooplah, and enjoy life while you can. Only the dead know what happens after death, and death can come at us at any time