xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dagoth Nereviar

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas Maybe the best book ever written?

This book is absolutley brilliant.I read a fair amount I suppose, I don't know maybe a book a week. I had never, however, come across this book or anything like it until one day my grandmother lent me it. I flicked through the pages and thought with it only being a short novel I should give it a go.The general theme of the book is that a small boy, the son of Hitler's right hand man, and his family all move from their beautiful home in Berlin to a place called Out-with.The real charm of this book is that it is from a small boys perspective of the hollercaust.Alot of the story is implicit and none of the actual names of people/places are actually mentioned. (Hitler is referred to as the fury, Auschwitz[sp?] is referred to as Out-With etc)After reading it I looked online to see if it had any recognition. I was suprised to find it had quite a fair bit. I was also immensely shocked to find that it was a book aimed at children! This book was very depressing with a very sad theme.

Especially the end part!!

My question is, has anybody actually read this book? If so what were your thoughts? Do you share the lust for it that I do? Or were your displeased. Please share any comments you may have:)If you have not read this book I highly recommend finding a copy as swiflty as possible.

The Boy in the Stripped PajamasThe Boy In The Striped PyjamasI've just started to read the book and am enjoying it immensley. Like you mentioned, it is written in a nine-year-old's perspective, which gives me a mental break from Pride and Prejudice which I am currently reading for school. And yes, from what I've read, I think it will turn out to be a sad story. The part about Pavel the Jewish waite, helping Bruno with his scrapped knee, and the mother thanking him and telling the man that if there are any questions that she'll say she bandaged Bruno, was particularly emotional.Boyne just has this way of slipping clues as to what's going on in Germany through Bruno's concept of the world. They help the reader to understand just who the child's father is and where they've moved. You are even exposed to a variety of German opinions of the event through the story line. For example, the Christmas party in Berline where we hear the grandmother speak to her son.Anyway, it's a great book and for anyone who hasn't yet picked it up-read it, you'll love it.Good luck ; )-reply by Kyper