xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

Explanation Wanted: Computer Shutdown Problem

IM on my computers computer..my computer won't boot properly, i turn it on, everything is plugged in, it says " Dell " then under it Dell.com then under it BIOS revision 1.8.2 ( i forget what the version was i think it was 1.8.2) and bottom right it says Intel and top right it says click f12 for blahblah blah and f2 for blahblahblah its just just there..I have dell Inspiron 530s core 2 duo processor (E4300) 2 gigs, uhm viewsonic screen, intergrated card, i didnt recently update anything in the computer.. uhm.. and then night before my computer owuldn't turn off.-- UPDATE --STrange i fixed it...I unplugged the usb slots and internet, didnt work, so i opened teh computer, looked at it... made sure the ram was secure (it was) turned the computer on and it worked :sBut can ppl please explain why the it wouldnt turn off the other night? it just stayed at the spot *logging off*(im windows vista home premium)

Notice from serverph:
merged.

But can ppl please explain why the it wouldnt turn off the other night? it just stayed at the spot *logging off*

Maybe it was one of those Windows moments. Vista may be more secure than its predecessor, but that doesn't necessarily include stability.

Usually that slowdown is associated with a Ram/memory issue, best thing to do is update your BIOS and drivers, and also double check your processes and see which ones are clogging your system up and manually shut them down or turn them off through msconfig. Nothing else really comes to mind as to why your shut down takes so long or freezes like that except for what I mention, and I would get a hold of dell and see what they think about this as it could be something else. Your hardware connections not being one of them since they won't slow the system down, more like the system not work at all.

Usually that slowdown is associated with a Ram/memory issue, best thing to do is update your BIOS and drivers, and also double check your processes and see which ones are clogging your system up and manually shut them down or turn them off through msconfig.

I hear Vista's built-in anti-spyware program kills the CPU and hogs up most of the RAM. Many have increased their Vista-runned computer's performance by terminating that process and switching to a more efficient (and better) anti-spyware program.

I haven't notice defender being a memory hogger, I can't remember if I mention this in a post or not but it tends to spike when I have a bunc of programs loading at once. Of course I just turned them off in the start up menu so I don't spike it when I boot it up. Nonetheless, I haven't spent that much time tinkering with that computer just because I don't have the free time to and of course I don't need to hear my parents complain that I broke the thing :P

Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it, and you gave me such a quick answer, you guys are always helpfull :PWell this happense quite often the not shutting off properly and my dad gets mad at me for it, and sometimes just unplugs my computers, im just wondering if that could have caused any of this to happen, or loss of important information to the operating system.. for some strange reason i think this might be linked with AIM i have had a lot of AIM problems with windows vista, resulting as me having to use system restore, and actually losing a couple of my files, because some of my files were saved in my system (like C;\windows\web) i lost my recently saved wallpapers there, which is really upsetting, i thought that it did not delete any files when it did system restore? o well.The problems i have been having with aim are that my network stops working, and my audio stops working, if you just think of it, it does not seem as if it would change anything, i have ran recent virus scans, and spyware and stuff, but i was also wondering, my RAM usage seems higher, its about 40% just when i am sitting around, but both of my cores are normal, when i downloaded CPU-Z it said i had everything i had purchased this computer with, so there does not seem to be any faults in the RAM unless they are temperary faults that correct themselves/fix themselves.I really want to solve this problem, because this is a fairly new computer, about a month or two old i believe, maybe a bit longer, and i didn't think it would go bad THIS fast.and gthanks for changing my ridiculous topic title lol