xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

The Scotland Euro 2008 Thread

We beat Ukraine 3-1. Can we actually go all the way? If we were to beat Georgia on wednesday then we just need a point of Italy to be guarenteed qualification. A year ago this would have sounded mental but there is huge belief there that we can do it now. And why not we are jumping clear over every hurdle that comes near us.As for saturdays game Brilliant.I've got to say my MotM was Barry Ferguson. It wasn't long ago I was heavily criticising him but this campaign he's been immense. I think it's a pride thing. He looked like he was about to lose it during the national anthem and then he did lose it for a minute on the pitch when Dailly didn't talk to him. Brilliant, that's what you want to see.Someone said on hibs.net I wonder if Hartley, Brown and Caldwell will be fit for the Old Firm game with a wee rolleye. I had to put this out because I don't think there is any doubt just now the players are playing for Scotland with passion & pride. I've never seen it before and it feels so ****ing good.oh and on the penalty front at first watch the only ones I thought that were pens were Shev's & Faddys. Having watched them a few times the only one I think that was a pen now is Huttons. There were all tough calls.

Georgia 2 Scotland 0. Bugger.Well that was a bit crap.Certainly missed Hutton/Brown particularly and with Maloney and Fletcher being very, very bad; we never really looked like getting a result. Defence looked unsure of each other, midfield didn't get into game and our forwards lacked service - not that they looked like doing much when they did eventually get the ball.Interesting to see the stick aimed at Ferguson. He's not had a good season for Rangers and didn't have a great game tonight. However, that said, I still thought he was one of our better player (Rangers minded or not!). He never hid, tried to get forward as much as he could and it wasn't until the last few minutes he really seemed to lose confidence in possession. For 15 mins either side of half-time he was one of the better players on the park.Nonetheless, he was our most experienced player (out with Weir perhaps) and I expect more from him. Criticism of him is often well deserved but it's easy to forget the influence he has had on this campaign in the haste to ask him to retire...!Every player looked out of sorts tonight (even Gordon seemed to be stuck to his line on a few occasions) and while we should be concerned at the lack of commitment, we still have a great chance of qualifying.It's easy to give OTT stick to the very players who have all contributed to some superb results. Instead, let's accept one bad performance in a long time and get behind the team. Some are too eager to believe the hype. Tonight we missed Hutton, Brown, Hartley, Fletcher (a fit one anyway) and even Naysmith. That's half a team and while we should have better tonight, some of the creme puffs tonight are almost as cringeworthy as the OTT praise thrown at what is still a developing side.