xisto Community
Joshua

Html Editor Glitch

Three times I've tried using HTML Editor to edit my index.html page and the first 2 times it instantly deleted all the page's coding and replaced it with the word "undefined".

I noticed the 3rd time after editing a page it gives the following message:

%2fhome%2fjoshua%2fpublic_html/index.html File Saved --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

open index.html failed: Permission denied at cpanel.pl line 469
Carp::croak('open index.html failed: Permission denied') called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Fileman.pm line 1352
Cpanel::Fileman::savehtmlfile('%2fhome%2fjoshua%2fpublic_html', 'index.html', 'undefined') called at cpanel.pl line 469
main::__ANON__('%2fhome%2fjoshua%2fpublic_html', 'index.html', 'undefined') called at cpanel.pl line 1462
main::exectag('<cpanel Fileman="savehtmlfile($FORM{\'dir\'},$FORM{\'file\'},$FO...') called at cpanel.pl line 4361
main::dotag(undef) called at cpanel.pl line 4250
main::cpanel_parseblock('SCALAR(0x8f6840c)') called at cpanel.pl line 4204
main::cpanel_parse('GLOB(0x91853c0)') called at cpanel.pl line 1027

[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]

Anyway, it was really annoying the first time it happened because it deleted all my work. I've since learned to make backups. I think it's because I put some JavaScript on my pages now and the HTML Editor can't handle it.

For some reason on the 3rd time it didn't delete all the coding though, which is strange. Maybe because I didn't edit enough that time? In fact, I notice it gives the error even if saving normally now in regular Edit. Maybe I just didn't notice it before? I haven't figured out yet why it deletes everything sometimes and not others though.

Notice from rvalkass:

I've put the error in QUOTE tags. You didn't write it, so it needs to be quoted.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

I think the key to fixing this is the first error it outputs:

open index.html failed: Permission denied at cpanel.pl line 469

All the others 'cascade' from that one, so fixing the first one will fix the rest. As it says, permissions are the problem here. Take a look at the permissions for index.html and make sure that owner and group have read and write at least. That should then let the editor edit the file. If not, temporarily set full permissions while you edit it, then revert them back once you're done.

I think the key to fixing this is the first error it outputs:All the others 'cascade' from that one, so fixing the first one will fix the rest. As it says, permissions are the problem here. Take a look at the permissions for index.html and make sure that owner and group have read and write at least. That should then let the editor edit the file. If not, temporarily set full permissions while you edit it, then revert them back once you're done.

Ok, that probably is the problem, thanks. I changed file permissions after seeing the thread about site hackers hijacking a site and how that could be prevented by setting most files to 444 settings.

I've been having problems with the HTML editor too. It just seems kind of buggy. No real problems for me though, i always upload the files from my hard drive. Its just a habit i guess, plus it means my files are always synched

I think the key to fixing this is the first error it outputs:All the others 'cascade' from that one, so fixing the first one will fix the rest. As it says, permissions are the problem here. Take a look at the permissions for index.html and make sure that owner and group have read and write at least. That should then let the editor edit the file. If not, temporarily set full permissions while you edit it, then revert them back once you're done.

Actually, no, the permissions weren't the problem. I tried the index.html permissions at both 6-4-4 and 7-7-7 and it didn't matter. Whenever I'd try using the HTML Editor on a file instead of saving it would delete everything in the file and replace it with a single word: undefined.

Then when I try re-opening the HTML Editor after it does that it says "no input file". And unless I was smart enough to copy the source code before using the HTML Editor, I have to copy another page and use the basic outline to restart the page all over again. Fortunately I've come to suspect this and have started making backups and using tactics like that, but it's still really annoying not to be able to use the HTML Editor at all.

I think that the HTML Editor in the Filemanger of cPanel is not enabled.I'm seeing the same error since I got my hosting account at Xisto.the latest version of cPanel, the vrsion 11 has a new Filemanger that looks a lot like the windows explorere, it is an AJAX interface and the HTML WYSIWYG editor fucntions a lot better than the previous versions.Hope that Opaque updates the Trp17 cPanel to the latest version :P