xisto Community
etycto

Password Protected Folders

does anyone know how i could make a folder password protected,if posible, in windows. if not is there some sorts of program that does that.~thank you

Check this link for a paid solution
http://www.fsprolabs.com/

Might also check with the Give-away-of-the-day site. They have a library of Freeware that might do what you want.
There is a link in the Freebies Topic to their main page and then look on that page for the Freeware Library.

https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/
or maybe
https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

I'm not sure if Xisto offers it but I know Xisto - Web Hosting offers it. There is a tool called "web protect" in the cpanel that does what you want. You just select the folder you want to protect with a username and password.Edit: Just realized you were talking about your personal computer and not a webhost >.<MY BAD!

Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

I've been looking for a way to do this in XP for a long time now without having to install software. So far I haven't found a way. It is possible to make a user accounts folders private, so no other users can see their files, but I don't think you can password protect a sub-folder of a users documents. Although I'm sure there is a way, it's not being obvious to me, if I find a way, I'll post it in here, if I remember XP.

There is solution for this, the "Microsoft Private Folder 1.0"

the Microsoft Private Folder is a freeware utility released by Microsoft that helps you to make folders private. It will give you access to the folder only on entering a password.

you cannot access the folder even if you uninstall this software. You'd then have to reinstall the software again and enter the orginal passowrd to view the contents of the folder. If you forgot the password then you'll never be able to recover the data and it is gone for ever, unlessw you remember the password.

Microsoft discontinued this software since it received a lot of complaints from users that they cannot recover their data if they forgot teh password.

SO try this software at your own risk. If you can remeber you password when required use this software otehrwise keep of it.

Download the Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 from softpedia