xisto Community
bradley908

Ftp Application I need a new FTP client

I am trying to upload my Content Management System to my website but I am having some issues.

I need a good FTP client that is stable and will allow me to upload about 5mb of files to a directory in under half an hour.

I have tried lots, too many to name, If you would kindly tell me which apps to be using for fast and stable transfers.

I wish I could connect it to it by going in Windows explorer: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As that is apparently very fast and easy drag and drop to transfer.

Some Apps I have tried.

[*]SMART FTP

[*]FILEZILLA

[*]WS FTP

[*]SW FTP LE

[*]WS FTP PRO 07 TRIAL

[*]FTP NAVIGATOR

[*]FTP SYNCRONIZER

and many, many more.

Well I use SmartFTP, and that I have never had any problems with it, and it's always been reliable for me. What kind of issues are you having? Sometimes the problem is with the host, and not the FTP Client.

I use KFTPgrabber. Its fairly fast, has parallel uploads and downloads, and allows for easy drag and drop. However, like Carson said, it might be a problem with your FTP account. If you're able to actually log in then its unlikely, but its always a possibility.

I'm currently happy with SmartFTP as well. If you're really worried about speed of uploads, try to do the major file uploads nightly instead of during the day. That way, no matter how much time it takes you'll be asleep anyway so you won't really notice.On another note, Dreamweaver has FTP ability (though not as robust as dedicated FTP clients) and I have noticed that it usually uploads a bit faster than most other clients (for me at least). Although you'd have to dish out major cash (or go through shady methods) to obtain a copy of it.

I'm currently happy with SmartFTP as well. If you're really worried about speed of uploads, try to do the major file uploads nightly instead of during the day. That way, no matter how much time it takes you'll be asleep anyway so you won't really notice.
*On another note, Dreamweaver has FTP ability (though not as robust as dedicated FTP clients) and I have noticed that it usually uploads a bit faster than most other clients (for me at least). Although you'd have to dish out major cash (or go through shady methods) to obtain a copy of it.

*I have got dreamweaver. So I might try it out sometime, after I try that KFTPGrabber one out, thanks.

*I am uploading with SmartFTP now, I will leave my laptop on all day and hopefully it will be finished by the time I get home from school.
It seems to be uploading fine, but the truth will be revealed when I get home...
Edited by bradley908 (see edit history)

Here is a trick to upload CMS type files and other large files that need to stay intact on original directory structure.ZIP your files according to the directory structure. Upload one ZIP file using any FTP or your cpanel. Using cpanel's File Manager click on the file and Extract your ZIP file.You can upload a zip file under few minutes and it takes the powerful server CPU and its resources to unzip your content. This takes less than 30 minutes for the whole process. :) It's easy. It's simple.

Here is a trick to upload CMS type files and other large files that need to stay intact on original directory structure.
ZIP your files according to the directory structure. Upload one ZIP file using any FTP or your cpanel. Using cpanel's File Manager click on the file and Extract your ZIP file.

You can upload a zip file under few minutes and it takes the powerful server CPU and its resources to unzip your content. This takes less than 30 minutes for the whole process. :) It's easy. It's simple.

Just one quick question, I have uploaded the archive and clicked extract and it seems like nothing is happening, it just opens up a window and says the filename and size but nothing seems to be happening, is it working in the background?
Edited by bradley908 (see edit history)

A second page should appear with a listing of the files and their path.***This method will not overwrite existing files*** so be certain to delete any of the pre-existing folders and files BEFORE you un-zip.

Well if you want an application I would recommend Coreftp. There is a pay version but also a version called "lite" and that one is free. It was my first ftp program and I haven't gone to a different one although I have tried many others.BUTIf you use firefox I strongly recommend "FireFTP" it is an add-on for fire fox that acts like a FTP program but it just runs in one of your other tabs. Take a little getting used to at first but after a while it was very efficient for my because I could do everything right in firefox.Hope this helps ya out!

I used FILEZILLA for a long time.It's an open source software, and it's standard based.The best feature of FILEZILLA I think is multithread, you can't upload or download multiple files in the same time, this feature will speedup the upload.But I think if you are uploading CMS in separate files, it will really spend long time because of the directory access. I think it is a good idea to get files zipped as one file, upload the zipped file, than unzip it using Cpanel's file admin tool.

A second page should appear with a listing of the files and their path.
***This method will not overwrite existing files*** so be certain to delete any of the pre-existing folders and files BEFORE you un-zip.

You're exactly right, (Of course).

The problem with my way to do it, is that I uploaded a rar file, and it only supports zip.

A soon, change of archive in WinRAR did the trick and now it is awesome!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
You have served me well.

Cheers to everyone...