xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bradley908

Christmas Lights How many lights will I need to light up my Christmas tree?

How many lights do I need for my Christmas tree?

If you're a young family or decorating your first apartment for Christmas you might not know how many lights you'll need to put in that first Christmas Tree.
3' (0.91m) Tree - 50 to 100 lights
4' (1.22m) Tree - 100 to 150 lights
5' (1.52m) Tree - 150 to 200 lights
6' (1.83m) Tree - 200 to 300 lights

More than 6' (1.83m) - 300 to 350 lights + 50 lights for each extra foot (0.3m)

Less than 3' (0.91m) - 15 to 50 lights or owner's discretion

Before you put lights on your larger tree, you should run a green/earth tone extension cord up the trunk of the tree. This gives you a central point for the light strands to come together. This will also help in Christmas light troubleshooting and replacing fuses. Wrap lights around each branch leaving a bulb at the tip of each branch. Try to make slack for those ornaments you get to plug into the lights to make them work like the Hallmark Star Trek ornaments.

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything you copy needs to be put in QUOTE tags. Copied from http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=christmas%20lights

IMHO, burning more than 100 lights just for lighting up the Christmas tree is really a great waste of energy and if many people follow the example, they may make power failures which are really bad, especially in the New Year's holidays.I dunno, we have a small non-natural Christmas tree and it has around 20-30 lights and it does its job like it should have :)I really don't get what's the catch in big decorations which waste a lot of electricity.