xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
petsecia

Do You Know The Fila Brasileiro?

It's a brazilian breed. They're hugesss dogs. I got one fila brasileiro nammed Lucrecia. She was so sweet... And a very good guardian. Some people think that they're bad dogs a I thought that to before to live with Lucrecia. She passed away in 2004, she was 9 years old.

Another breed I have never owned, have only seen a few, they are really good looking dogs, and would certainly make a great personal protection dog. Unfortunatly, they are on the dangerous dogs list, like pits and rotts, making it difficult to own one. Getting home insurance and avoiding localities that had dangerous dog breed bans keep owner of these breeds busy trying to protect their rights to own one.

I know the Fila Brasileiro... it's a Brazilian Mastiff. I had a Neopolitan (Italian) Mastiff who I had to say goodbye to last year. Mastiffs are one of the oldest breeds of dogs and definitely one of the largest. If anyone remembers the movie "Turner and Hooch" - that was a French Mastiff (or Dog de Bordeaux). I've heard of, but never seen, a Japanese Mastiff, as well. Most people are familiar with a Bull Mastiff, which is an English Mastiff and a Bulldog mix. My Neo was named Zoey and she weighed in at 160 lbs. Some of the males mastiffs grow to be over 250 lbs! Since they're so big, like other giant breeds (Great Danes, St. Bernards, etc.), they don't typically live as long as other breeds, which is a very sad thing. It took me a while to get over losing Zoey (who was 10 yrs. 8 mos. - amazing for her breed), but I decided I was ready for another dog about a year later. I went in the opposite direction this time - from 160lbs. to 16lbs. My new dog is a mix of Dachshund and Pinscher (and maybe some other breeds as well). I adopted her from a rescue organization in my area. She's not a real "little dog"... she's more like a 'honey i shrunk the dog' kind of small dog. She has no idea how little she is. I never pictured myself with a small dog, especially after having a Mastiff. But her heart is just as big as Zoey's was...