xisto Community
sheepdog

Dog Questions Ask me anything about dogs

PLEASE

I really need to figure out a way to keep up my hosting credits. Since I am brain dead about computers, school, relationships, sports, games, etc, would really like to see more activity in this pet catagory.

I got my first dog when I was less than 1 year old. And since I have now passed the 1/2 century mark, I think I may of learned a thing or 2 about dogs. So ask me anything. Really. I probably know it. Help me out here.

i'll jump in to your request for dog questions. :) although i never really am much that into pets myself (dog, cat, anything), but i just wonder how come chocolate can be harmful for dogs. i saw an old episode of a tv series wherein a pet dog consumed chocolate without the owner's knowledge, and the dog just sort of got in a "depressed mood" where it just lay down beside the bits of the leftover chocolate and its wrapper like someone going to the guillotine (sorry for the description, it's just how i remembered it :P). after the owner came home, and after seeing the dog in this state, he had to rush the dog to a veterinarian. is it really bad for dogs to consume chocolates or for that matter a substantial amount of sweets? or was it just a made-up-for-tv scenario? :D

and another, do sheepdogs bleat/baa? :D (just kidding!)

i'll jump in to your request for dog questions. :) although i never really am much that into pets myself (dog, cat, anything), but i just wonder how come chocolate can be harmful for dogs. i saw an old episode of a tv series wherein a pet dog consumed chocolate without the owner's knowledge, and the dog just sort of got in a "depressed mood" where it just lay down beside the bits of the leftover chocolate and its wrapper like someone going to the guillotine (sorry for the description, it's just how i remembered it :P). after the owner came home, and after seeing the dog in this state, he had to rush the dog to a veterinarian. is it really bad for dogs to consume chocolates or for that matter a substantial amount of sweets? or was it just a made-up-for-tv scenario? :D
and another, do sheepdogs bleat/baa? :D (just kidding!)

No, it was not made up for television, chocolate is bad for dogs. Though it is bad in varring degrees. Theobromine, (I think that's about how it's spelled) is the culprit that is the actual poison. It is found in higher amounts in the dark, bitter sweet type chocolates. Bakers chocolate is especially bad. Milk chocolate has lesser amounts, and many dogs can eat a bit of it and not be bothered at all. Some dogs are less tolerant though, and may become ill with just a few bites of sweet chocolate, others can eat a whole candy bar and show no ill effects whatsoever.

So not knowing for sure on your dog, it would just be best to not tempt fate and keep the chocolate where only you can reach it.

As far as having a sweet tooth, most dogs don't care that much for sweets, but you will find the occasional individual that does like candy, but a lot of that has to do with the dogs owner. I've seen a lot of dogs that will eat whatever they see their owner eat, wether they like it or not.

And another thing besides chocolate that should remain off the dogs dinner plates are grapes. They can also be toxic to dogs.

Theobromine sounds right, something like a distant cousin to caffeine. i checked wikipedia about it and seems to act as a poison for dogs because of their slow metabolism. it looks deadly enough for dogs even at small quantities (50mg for smaller dogs, 400mg for bigger dogs). there's the tolerance level which you account for each dog, as you seem to note that some can eat a whole candy bar with no ill effects. but of course, chocolate is still something to keep out of a dog's reach, that's for sure if only to keep the dog out of harms way especially if the dogs are loved pets by their owners. thanks for the info. :)

what's the deal with grapes as toxic for dogs when ingested though? that's a new one for me. theobromine still in the works here?

I had to do a little digging on the grape/raison thing, as I couldnt' remember for sure the toxin involved, and I discovered I didn't know because it has not yet exactly been figured out as to why grapes do poison dogs. (raisons do too) They cause kidney failure, symptoms are vomitting and weakness, among several others. It only takes a few grapes to do a real number on a dog. Funny because a few years ago before this got started around on the internet about grapes, I had a standard schnauzer pet dog that would eat anything she saw me eat. Except grapes. Those were the only thing she wouldn't touch. I knew that dog was smart!So, to be on the safe side, keep those grapes and raisons safely out of your pets reach. And call your vet immediatly if your dog should sneak a few grapes.

I had to do a little digging on the grape/raison thing, as I couldnt' remember for sure the toxin involved, and I discovered I didn't know because it has not yet exactly been figured out as to why grapes do poison dogs. (raisons do too) They cause kidney failure, symptoms are vomitting and weakness, among several others. It only takes a few grapes to do a real number on a dog.
Funny because a few years ago before this got started around on the internet about grapes, I had a standard schnauzer pet dog that would eat anything she saw me eat. Except grapes. Those were the only thing she wouldn't touch. I knew that dog was smart!

So, to be on the safe side, keep those grapes and raisons safely out of your pets reach. And call your vet immediatly if your dog should sneak a few grapes.

I also had not heard of the grape/raison issue with dogs. But I had a wonderful Boston Terrier that enjoyed eating the ones I rejected after they 'seasoned' a few days. My lifestyle had changed (a divorce) and being single I didn't always eat them as fast as was necessary and my dog began to get a regular treat of grapes. I am aware now that no one seems to know why, just that they are harmful. One thing I do know, my pet's kidneys failed and I know it was my own fault that it happened. I urge you to believe what they say ... "Grapes/raisons will cause kidney failure in dogs and it is irreversable".

no, i've given cats chocolate and it hasn't died.My question is this...My parents want a dog as a pet, but they've never had any experience with owning a dog. So can you please give some suggestions on breeds of dogs that won't be too loud, big or something like that...

My question is this...My parents want a dog as a pet, but they've never had any experience with owning a dog. So can you please give some suggestions on breeds of dogs that won't be too loud, big or something like that...

There are so many things to take into consideration when gettting a dog, especially when it is a first time down owner. But with over 400 recognized pure breeds of dogs, there are plenty of options.

You have allready decided on small and not barky. And since they are first time dog owners, I would highly recomend picking a breed that is agreeable, and not too hard headed. For example, Lhasa Apso's are popular, friendly, reasonably intelligent, not barky, but if not handled firmly, they can become holly terrors if not made to mind. One of those breeds that if you give them an inch they will take a mile.

How small are you thinking? Chihuahua's and Yorkshire Terriers are the smallest, but in some cases they are too small, in homes where there are young children they may not be suitable. And while Yorkies are very popular, they are about the hardest of all terriers to house break. Chihuahua's can be ornery little snots too sometimes. They often tend to be one person dogs. We have an adorable little blue and white long haired male Chihuahua, cute as a bug but he is SO funny, he snuggles up to whoever is holding him, and will try to bite anyone who trys to touch him when someone is holding him. Doesn't matter who, if I'm holding him he will snap at my hired girl if she tries to touch him, but if she's holding him he will do the same to me.

There are a lot of terriers in the 15-20lb range (which I personally consider to be small) that might be good options. Cairns, West Highland Whites, mini shcnauzers all might work, providing you find one that is not barky, some are. Wire fox terriers are not real barky, but they are dynomite in small packages, love people but are fearless and will go looking for fights with the neighbors Rottie if it happens to wander into the Wire's home turf.

What about hair coat? How much grooming do your folks want to put up with? And shedding? (note here, just because a dog has short hair does not mean it doesn't shed.) If you can keep one brushed out, a Shih Tzu may be a good choise. They are pretty mellow and easy going.

Poodles come in all sizes and colors, they are very smart, and don't shed, but some are barkers. They also can spoil easily and think they are royality if they are overly catered to. But they might be a good option too.

Think about some of the other things you would like to have in your pet and maybe I can give you some more ideas.

Great topic, Sheepdog! Thank you for offering your fine expertise and guidance. I haven't had a dog, other than the occasional foster dog, since my beloved Helga died several years ago. I like the classic German Rottweiler temperment: strong, stoic, loyal, calm, and a fierce defender of home and family - in other words, nothing at all like the product of America's backyard breeder. Helga, unfortunately, was the victim of a such a breeder who wasn't concerned with maintaining proper temperment, health or physicality. She was long of leg, where Rotts are supposed to be stout and muscular - not unlike a Pitbull. Her face was long and narrow, and she tended toward hyperactivity. Still, she was a great dog but died fairly young due to what I can only assume was bad breeding.My question is, do you think it makes sense to buy from a breeder who claims German bloodlines in their Rottweilers, or is that just a load of baloney? Or does it make more sense to import a dog directly from Germany?

My question is, do you think it makes sense to buy from a breeder who claims German bloodlines in their Rottweilers, or is that just a load of baloney? Or does it make more sense to import a dog directly from Germany?

It isn't really the country of origin that matters, the trick is the "breeder" you will be dealing with. You can always ask the breeder here in the US to show you copies of the pedigree, to see if the dogs are imports. However, there are probably just about as many scruffy dogs produced accross the big pond as there are here. The exception being some countries have a dog warden that comes out when you have a litter born and will cull the litter for you, wether you like it or not. Any defects noticable at birth will get the pup culled, undersized from the rest of the litter, off markings, most litters are cut down about 50% If I am not mistaken, Germany is one of those countries that does that. This definatly does cut down on the numbers of defective dogs, but of course, not all defects are noticable at birth. So that is a point in favor of the imports, for sure. And I have seen a lot of really sorry Rotts when the breed came up in popularity. But there are always good breeders that do things right, it's just a matter of searching them out. Lots of breeders do import dogs. I have imported 4 myself, and have to say, they are super nice dogs. (not Rotts though, Standard Schnauzers and Welsh Terriers.)

It is always a lot easier to deal with a breeder here in the states of course. Hopefully, you can even find one within driving distance. It does help immensly when you can see the parents, especially in dogs like Rotts where conformation is so important. Of course, you can't always judge temperment issues even seeing the parents. Dogs act differently around strangers. And dispite what many people think, temperment is not entirely dependant on genetics. The way a pup is raised, not only by the breeder but the purchaser of an 8 week old plays a role in the development of a pup.

So, in most cases, buying in the US makes the most sense. I imported because of the very limited gene pool available in my breeds here in the USA. The most important thing is finding a breeder that you feel good about and are certain they arn't blowing smoke at you. It's usually not hard to do after exchanging a few emails back and forth. Having some basic dog knowledge is really helpfull, you can catch certain things that might tip you off to the fact that the breeder hasn't got a clue. One of my "pet peeves" are breeder ads that over use the word "love." "We love or puppies so much and we raise them with lots of love and play with them all the time and we want you to just love our puppies too" You can give a pup lots of love and attention, but if they have crappy genetics, it isn't going to make them a good dog.

I feel bad now, I gave my dogs grapes before. I can't remember if they actually liked it though, it's either they really liked it, or they didn't like it. I knew cats couldn't have grapes, but i didn't know it was the same for dogs too. Any suggestions on how to make a dog stop going to the bathroom on the carpet? At my uncle's, where my dogs stay they seem to always go to the bathroom (his dogs too and my aunts), and it's really frustrating because it smells so awful. The back door is always left open, so it's not like they can't do outside. Also how do I get my Aunt's dog to stop attacking me when I leave? If i am by myself, i have to coax him into the backyard, give him like a toy or some dog food, hurry and run through the house, open the door and leave as fast as I can. I don't always know if/when he is going to attack me either, sometimes he watches me leave and doesn't care, other times he has me pinned up against the door trying to calm him down. And last but not least, I'm moving out of state next year, and probably will not be taking my dogs. I've had them since they were puppies, but my boyfriend already has a dog, and we just got a cat, and my dogs are kind of old and seem to be content staying with my uncle. Is it okay to just up and leave them?

Humm, sounds like your aunt and uncle really need some tips on housebreaking pets. Your dogs are just following the example set by the dogs that live in their household. Dog eliminate by scent, if they smell where a dog has gone before, that is where they will choose to go. And since a dogs sense of smell is so much better than ours, even a good cleaning of the carpets will not remove the oder enough that the dogs can't smell it. Their abilities to smell are at least 200 times greater than ours. The dogs can be retrained, but it would take a lot of work and effort on the part of your relatives. Just leaving the door open so they can go out if they want to is not going to work. Why bother going out when the toilet is right in the house? I am a big fan of the crate training method. There is a lot of good info available about in online. What they need to do is confine the dogs to crates for a few hours, or even overnight, and then in the morning, first thing, physically take the dogs to the back yard (or where ever you want them to eliminate) and make sure they do their business outside. Be sure to pet and praise them when they finish doing their business outside. Then they can be let back in the house. Any time they can't be closely watched, they should be put back in the crates, and then taken outside again when it is time for them to be out again. In the meantime, the carpeted area of the house should be off limits to them, blocked off with baby gates or whatever, to keep temptation away and give them a chance to figure out they are supposed to go outside. They will not get over their bad habits overnight, it may take plenty of time and patience to straighten them out. Your aunts dog definatly has some quirk in it's personality. It is difficult to say what triggers his reaction to your leaving. Especially since he will allow you to coax him into the back yard for treats or to play. And since he doesn't do it all the time. But there has to be something that triggers his reaction to you leaving. You might try some sort of reprograming training with him. Does he know any basic obedience commands? Like sit or stay? If so, just as you are ready to leave, call him to you, tell him to sit, then when he complys, give him a treat, then tell him to stay, then calmly walk out the door. Never run or bolt out the door, in many breeds the instincts are to chase whatever runs from them. Of course, you may have to do this every time you leave, but it is a better departure than getting pounced on. As to leaving your dogs with your Uncle, since they have been there before and are acustom to the household, most likely they will be fine. Very few dogs will pine way after their original owner leaves them, although it has happened. Dogs are one of the most versitile animals there are, they are quite good at adapting to what ever circumstances they may find themselves in.

Out of curiosity, is there something wrong with my dog, Dixie..? Everytime he hears the littlest sound, he jumps up, and starts barking. And then it takes at least 10 minutes to stop him. And then he hears someone pull up the driveway, and it starts all over again. It gets really annoying, because many times during the day, there are many sounds in the neighborhood. Is he just wanting attention? Or does he feel like disturbing the somehow peaceful quiet of the neighborhood? Because we always have to discipline him, and we don't like that! What should I do?

Sorry if that sounded ignorant, but I AM ignorant to the ways of pets. Though I don't love them any less.