xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

Joe Meno New favourite author

I think I've found my new favourite author!

Joe Meno's new book, the Boy Detective Fails, was recommended on Jackson Publick's blog because it contains similar themes of failure to the Venture Bros. I've not read a good book for a while so I thought what the hell and ordered it on Amazon. While i was there i got a couple of others as well, notably Chris Nieratko's Skinema (which i'm looking forward to cracking open) as well as Hairstyles of the Damned also by Meno. It had amazing reviews so i clicked "add to basket" because i'm a shopaholic and just can't help myself.

I finished Hairstyles of the Damned this afternoon, and it was such a good book it kept me captivated from start to finish. It's maybe what the Catcher in the Rye would have been if Salinger was a 1980's punk. It totally captured the contradiction of being a teenager, wanting to fit in but also wanting to stand out. He used a clever device, by constantly referencing bands such as the Dead Kennedys and Screeching Weasel and the Misfits he made me feel like I belong, cos I like those bands too. It really brings back the feeling of being desperate to fit in, so you're more likely to identify with the characters i guess.

Anyway, I started the Boy Detective Fails this afternoon and as soon as I get paid i'm gonna order his entire back catalogue!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Cheers,
stevethedog