xisto Community
Will.Allison

Ram Or Cpu?

I have an Ok-system with 1024mb ram and 2 128mb video cards with sli, but I'm disappointed with the performance. I have a really crappy CPU(1.8GHZ i think).So my question is, should I get another 1 to 2gbs or ram or a new CPU? Which will increase my performance more?And if ram, which type should I get?Thanks

Edited by Will.Allison (see edit history)

Well Why don't you do both, get another stick of 1GB RAM and then a CPU in the 2.0-3.0 range, just make sure your CPU has either L1 and L2 cache, or a nice high L2 cache, because with those cache's will help speed up your computer a bit quicker. however I think its your graphics cards that are slowing your system down, I would say disable one of them and see how the performance is, because you have to remember that some video cards do draw RAM and a bit of CPU to run as well and you might be over working it just a bit.

I have an Ok-system with 1024mb ram and 2 128mb video cards with sli, but I'm disappointed with the performance. I have a really crappy CPU(1.8GHZ i think).
So my question is, should I get another 1 to 2gbs or ram or a new CPU? Which will increase my performance more?
And if ram, which type should I get?
Thanks

Like saint said, I would suggest that you buy 'em both. One thing u didnt mention was the kinda CPU, Mobo and RAM you are using.

I would suggest again that you should consider using a dual core CPU (Recommended: Core Duo n above) with a combination of Dual Channel DDR2. that might entail changing some major hardwares on your computer like your mobo, cpu n ram. This will surelly change the whole performance configuration of your computer and should be able to work very properly with the SLI graphics cards.

And another thing is your PSU. MAke sure that your PSU has enough power to undertake the power demand of your hardwares as this can significantly reduce performance.

Like saint said, I would suggest that you buy 'em both. One thing u didnt mention was the kinda CPU, Mobo and RAM you are using.

I would suggest again that you should consider using a dual core CPU (Recommended: Core Duo n above) with a combination of Dual Channel DDR2. that might entail changing some major hardwares on your computer like your mobo, cpu n ram. This will surelly change the whole performance configuration of your computer and should be able to work very properly with the SLI graphics cards.

And another thing is your PSU. MAke sure that your PSU has enough power to undertake the power demand of your hardwares as this can significantly reduce performance.

my MoBo http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Ram is 2X ALIENWARE 512MB DDR PC3200LL

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ 64 processor with 512KB CACHE. The speed is 1.8GHZ .

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+ 64 processor with 512KB CACHE. The speed is 1.8GHZ .

I would suggest that you upgrade your CPU to the max that your MB will support, that should be sufficient to increase performance, upgrading the ram, to a faster spec will help to, also you might think of upgrading your hdd, you can get cheap 200GB HDD with 16MB cache, that runs very fast.

Well if you're running memory intensive tasks or games like photoshop or Battlefield 2 then you'd need the extra ram more than the cpu. If not then I'd just go for the cpu upgrade. Both would be ideal, of course.

I think that your processor is quite good. And it is sufficiant so I would suggest buying RAM (random access memory) but as it might happen that the problem is not there. That is the reason why you should post here what kind of hard drive you have and its specifications as slowness of computer might be because of several different reasons.And one of the msot common reason today is slow hard drive. People buy good performance computers and in the end they buy some third grade hard drive slow but with lot of space whihc ultimately slows their computer to the limits of working on it that is computer. SO computer is almost useless. This might be too harsh but other resources of high performance are not used and such user trowed money in wind.

I have an Ok-system with 1024mb ram and 2 128mb video cards with sli, but I'm disappointed with the performance. I have a really crappy CPU(1.8GHZ i think).
So my question is, should I get another 1 to 2gbs or ram or a new CPU? Which will increase my performance more?
And if ram, which type should I get?
Thanks

You are disappointed with the performance?!!!, as I see you hardware is really good the problem with the performance I think is your operating system.. reinstalling it is recommended but if you want more performance, I suggest to add another RAM..

@SamiFXI don't think reinstalling OS is necessary, we can use some registry editor to remove unnecessary registry.CMIIMW@TSYou're using AMD athlon +3000, based on my experience, I can overclock it until 3,2Ghz( I suggest you to overclock it into 2.2Ghz), If you're using DUal VGA, then it is highly recomended that u use DUal core processor(Intel Pentium D or AMD X2).The AMD proc has smaller L2 cache than Intel proc, so it can make your computer faster if you're using 1mb or bigger.

Keep in mind that upgrading your CPU will improve performance based on calculations (tasks) that your computer will be executing, and upgrading your RAM will improve the capacity of said calculations and tasks.Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager. Check out the Performance tab and take a look at the Commit Charge (K) section. If your Peak value is close to your Limit value, you might want to consider upgrading your RAM over improving CPU clock speed. If it's relatively low, you could throw some effort into overclocking or upgrading the CPU. No sense in getting a better clock speed to do more calculations if the system can't make use of those calculations as efficiently as it should. :) That's if it's a toss up between a CPU or a RAM upgrade. Like others mentioned, your processor choices (and hence, clock speeds) and memory banks are limited to your motherboard. See if you can even upgrade (which you should; I doubt you are pushing your board with those specs, unless it's old) and to what limit.

I agree with SamiFX, the hardware is pretty good. Although reinstalling the OS might not be necessary I'd recommend defragging your harddrive before you do anything and see if it helps, and then get better ram. Your cpu isn't that bad and neither is your ram but I believe nowadays with such demanding apps I don't think anybody can get away without more than 2 gigs of ram. But if you have the budget get both! :P

To go off of rayzor's post a bit I would see what services you can disable, go to start > run > type in MSconfig > and then click the service tab and then disable stuff you wouldn't normal use; just make sure your logged in as the administraor so when you save them you won't get that pesky pop up message about being logged in as an admin. Also delete programs off the start up list that get booted when you start windows as well, and like alex mention defrag your computer, and delete any unused programs and files and what not. I still would go with bumping up the CPU in the 2.x range and add another gig of RAM in.