xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GaMeFaNaTiC

Purchasing A New Notebook, Which One?

Hi, i want to get a new laptop because the only i currently have isnt that great. i got an acer5101awlmi 2ghz turion64, 60gb hd, 1.5gb ram, and 128mb shared graphics(ati radeon xpress 1100). it tends to get very hot now days and all my videos come out quite poor e.g not sharp.. pixelated. this is prob because of the shared gfx.i want to buy a new laptop which has :More disk space because iv nearly run out so about 120gb.Doesnt get very hot.Dedicated graphics not shared graphics so my video performance comes out much better (videos to come out sharp even when stretched to full screen) also to be able to play games on my laptop so have a gfx card which is good enough to play these new games that come out with its slick gfx therefore 256mb or im not sure whether 128mb can still work great with videos and games, i prefer to not take that risk and get 256mb instead.Core2Duo processor 1.8 onwards.1GB ram (ive bought a 1gb ram for my current laptop and want to put it in this new laptop to make it 2gb, i dont know which one i got il have to chek that)15.4 inch screenWireless for the internet.Im not bothered about these card readers as i dont use them but the usual usb ports and some other ports would be nice for video output etc.DVD and CD-Drive / RWMy budget is ?700ish and i dont want to spend over ?1000 for a notebook like a macbook pro which has the sort of specs i need. i hope this is the right place to ask sorry if it aint im new and wanted some advice. P.S. i prefer a laptop with a slick design and not a chunky one which looks ungly, will last me for long and with some warranty.

Well before I go hunting for a new laptop, let me bring you a few suggestions to improve your old one.

first off the reason your laptop gets hot is lack of ventilation, in which I suggest is get a notebook cooler, I had made a topic about several months ago and its been working wonders as I had my laptop get up to 119 degrees because of the bad ventilation I was doing to it.

Also I would recommend updating your bios and drivers to your laptop and its gfx engine; although its bit hard to point you to right website to get your started on doing that without knowing more about your computer like where you got the computer from. Also if its still under warranty I would suggestion replacing parts of the hardware or getting it refurbished, and I would go through your computer and delete programs, defrag your computer and other stuff.

I bet if you do some high level computer maintenance to your laptop it will be cooler and work better then ever, and so I would do those recommendations before thinking about getting a new computer first. If you need help getting your computer cleaned up and working properly again just send me a pm and I can talk to you through yahoo or MSN.

I would say check out this link from newegg as I broke down a list of laptop computers in your price range.

I would keep the RAM in that computer as you would want 2GB of ram in your new computer, and adding RAM to your new computer might cause some problem unless its the same type. However, since one of hte computers on the link I sent you, I doubt you will want to add the RAM anyways.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

the thing is, ive tried updating my drivers for gfx card and it still performs the same. i found out that this gfx card only has 2d support and since i cant change only the gfx card, i would rather sell this laptop and buy a better one. the heating problems come in vista when im using a lot of applications and the heat comes from the left hand side where thers a vent thing so it is not the biggest issue, the main problem is the gfx and video performance etc.do you think i can send it to acer to get upgraded eg. upgrade the hardrive(mayb i can do that myself) and tell them to put a gfx card in there?this is what it says about my laptop on there site regarding gfx:ATI Radeon? Xpress 1100 integrated 3D graphics with up to 128 MB of shared system memory, orATI Mobility™ Radeon? X1300 with up to 512 MB of HyperMemory™ (64 MB of dedicated GDDR2 VRAM, up to 448 MB of shared system memory), supporting ATI PowerPlay™ 5.0, Microsoft? DirectX? 9.0 and PCI Express?is the x1300 good? the 64mb of dedicated gddr2 vram puts me off.

Edited by GaMeFaNaTiC (see edit history)

Well I first find out if they actually do hardware replacement, and the only thing they would do is replace the current parts with the same but newer hardware without making you re-validated your windows operating system. It is true that replacing the gfx card or in fact any hardware in a laptop is some hard work since it is so cramped in there. So if you do get a new laptop make sure when your getting ready to sell the other computer, I would do a fresh reinstall on the laptop with all the updates and what not and so the person who does buy won't have any problems with the computer as is.

The NVIDIA GeForce 7000 series cards are top of the line, a bit below the 8000 series though but still as good for gaming and what not. remember though gaming on a laptop is complete different then a desk top, due to the fact you can set up dual gfx cards on a desktop for some extra bang. As for the computer overall its a descent for the slow processor speed though. I have to ask some of the uk members because I know there is a UK version of the newegg website on the net somewhere, of course you can check out this uk website as it list some descent laptops.

Come on why get a laptop? In my opinion I think that people should steer away from laptops because I think that they got more problems then desktops. Maybe I am wrong but I don't know I just think that they have so many problems. But I guess it is just my laptop. :)

Well to be honest desktops are a lot better for video and gaming rendering since you can sink in more juice to make videos and gaming crystal clear. As for the laptop on hand I would say its better then the previous one; although, ASUS isn't known for their computers, well I say that because I am a Dell person and won't be changing anytime soon.

However, here is a review about the computer your thinking about, and from what I scimmed through it seems descent enough. So read the review and see what they say about it.

thank you for that review page, its exactly what i was looking for. as for games on desktops are better, yes i agree but im not a hardcore gamer when it comes to pcs but i want to start playing pc games by getting a laptop which is capable of playing them instead of the one i currently have which isnt very good at that. the other reason i use laptops because its easier for me to do my work on.

Hi, i want to get a new laptop because the only i currently have isnt that great. i got an acer5101awlmi 2ghz turion64, 60gb hd, 1.5gb ram, and 128mb shared graphics(ati radeon xpress 1100). it tends to get very hot now days and all my videos come out quite poor e.g not sharp.. pixelated. this is prob because of the shared gfx.
i want to buy a new laptop which has :

More disk space because iv nearly run out so about 120gb.

Doesnt get very hot.

Dedicated graphics not shared graphics so my video performance comes out much better (videos to come out sharp even when stretched to full screen)
also to be able to play games on my laptop so have a gfx card which is good enough to play these new games that come out with its slick gfx therefore 256mb or im not sure whether 128mb can still work great with videos and games, i prefer to not take that risk and get 256mb instead.

Core2Duo processor 1.8 onwards.

1GB ram (ive bought a 1gb ram for my current laptop and want to put it in this new laptop to make it 2gb, i dont know which one i got il have to chek that)

15.4 inch screen

Wireless for the internet.

Im not bothered about these card readers as i dont use them but the usual usb ports and some other ports would be nice for video output etc.

DVD and CD-Drive / RW

My budget is Ł700ish and i dont want to spend over Ł1000 for a notebook like a macbook pro which has the sort of specs i need. i hope this is the right place to ask sorry if it aint im new and wanted some advice.

P.S. i prefer a laptop with a slick design and not a chunky one which looks ungly, will last me for long and with some warranty.

Have you been able to get a good laptop..i had the same problem sometime coupled with the fact my DVD Drive was not working..i bought that laptop for barely 3 weeks. I then had to buy another one at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/(their'>http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/(their products are amazing!)The specifications are New IntelŽ CentrinoŽ Duo processor technology with interrelated IntelŽ Core™2 Duo mobile processor T7100, IntelŽ GM965 chipset, IntelŽ PRO/Wireless network connection (802.11a/b/g) and extended battery life capability
2GB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power
SuperMulti DVDąRW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media; also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media.Then it has a hard drive capacity of 120GB and System Memory (RAM) 2GB.Type of Memory (RAM) DDR2 SDRAM.Built-in microphone makes it easy to chat with family and friends.5-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

I think you should go for the best.I'm using this laptop now and its serving me more than ever.

You have to get a better laptop with specifications way beyond your imaginations.From your budget the one i bought at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ will serve your needs.It has a hard drive capacity of 120GB its sleek and has a System Memory (RAM) of 2GB.It has a (RAM) of DDR2 SDRAM.Its It also has a 5-in-1 digital media reader ,it supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card..the list goes on and on.It justs costs about $1015 with all thgese specifications.I couldnt get this price anywhere else.Try it and see for yourself.
Hope you'll buy the right one this time.

Notice from rvalkass:

Please avoid double posting. If you have something to add, use the edit button under your first post.

I am not great fan of Acer but they have one cheap and outstanding laptop it is so great I am considering to buy one more. This one i just so great.OK here are specifications.Acer Aspire 7520 GProcessor AMD Turion64 X2 TL-60 2,0 GHzrandom access memory 2 GB DDR2hard drive 320 GB sataDL (dual layer) DVD +- RW burner (read - write)Crystal Brite LCD display 17 inchesresoulution 1440 x 900graphical card NVidia GF8400M GS 256MBintegrated DVB-T TV cardDVI - D (HDCP)BluetoothFireWireTV-outS/PDIFGigaLANcard readerinbuilt web cameraPrice is 925 eurosand if bought with included windows vista then price isPrice is 1,149 eurosIt is outstanding just outstanding. and the best thing is you can obtain it without windows.Go and get it.