xisto Community
syncn21

Happiness Or Money

My friend work at a surf shop in Huntington Beach and he teach surf lessons there as well and he never been happier. He's leaving for University in the fall and ,he feel like it's stupid because he'll be going so he can become an architect and work for his dad. In reality the only reason he am going is because he's going to be playing soccer there on a full athletic scholarship. He honestly rather ditch school and work at a surf shop and play soccer on the beach for the rest of his life (not really the rest of he life but you know what he mean). If he really needed money at somepoint his parents would definatly give it to me but he don't want to have to take their money. He know school's important but is it worth it. Do you choose happiness and a job you love that doesn't pay that well or do you go to school and get a lame job that has financial security?

For me, I would choose happiness. The job that does not pay well would be enough to live on, and I would be doing something I love. If I am happy, what do I need money for? I mean even a low paying job could pay for any bills, pay for nessacities, and get a few extra things along the way. If I got a job that I loved, I would take the job I loved versus college any day.

happiness is the choice for me. That verse in the bible that says something about 'All the rich people were putting many hundreds, and thousands into the donation box, but an old widow put just a penny in. And Jesus said, "All the rich people put fractions of their money in, but this widow has put her entire wealth in the donation box, and that is a true *can't think o the word* "and the other verse that says "It is easier to fit a full grown camel into the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven.

Oh, well, you could argue about such dihlemmas infinitely long. It's only a persons' choice as to what he, or she, prefers. Yeah, technically, money could bring you happiness, but happiness without money is more pure, and thus lasts longer. But, on the other hand, what's the point of living happy for 5 days and then starving to death? Money is more important in todays society. IMHO.

I would deffinatley go with the surf shop if he knows it will last. If what he does becomes old, it will be a big bummer. But if he knows he will be happy their and can live their and not get bored, I would stay.

This is a difficult question...To me, happiness is more important than money. But money can buy me happiness, because I like shopping and making myself look good, living in comfort and eating good food, and money can do all this for me. On the other hand, if I have to suffer five full working days a week of doing things I don't like, I might crack, and I probably won't perform well enough in my job to maintain my high position and pay.

I think the title is a bit misleading, which have been pointed out already by most of the people who posted before me. Some people get happiness through money, because they can buy what makes them happy. That is the need for material stuff. But I think what the thread starter was trying to ask is choosing a path (or job) that makes you happy because it's what you really want in life (or what you've always dreamed of becoming), or a path that will give you enough money (or even more) to support yourself or dependents, if any. Most people would say "go for whatever makes you happy", that despite the measly money you get, at least you're happy. Some would say the opposite, well, for practicality. If you live in a country with an economy that is struggling, sometimes people don't have any option but to take a path that's not necessarily of their liking, because they need money. In my country, you'd be surprised by how many nursing schools have popped up here and there because of the boom of the need for nurses all over the world. Most students take up nursing in the hopes of getting that job that pays well. Most of these people don't necessarily start off in life dreaming of wanting to become a nurse when they grow up. Most people would change careers because they don't get enough money in their current job, some are already professionals in their careers, and yet because of money, they choose to start over again, with something that's alien to them.Now, enough with the lecture. For me, I would choose to have a job that pays well, simply, as I've said, because of practical reasons. I am not necessarily living a life of luxury, but I also have needs as a person, needs that weren't provided to me when I was young. As a working individual, I have a chance of fulfilling that need. Of course, for now I don't have that much need, so I spend less, but who knows, in the future I might be buying some other things, or probably having a family or whatever. How much you spend depends on your lifestyle. Of course when you say lifestyle, that includes the daily needs like food, shelter and clothing, if you're more on the "spending" side, then accessories, gadgets and stuff. The more the need for material stuff, the more you spend.Saying that doesn't necessarily mean I'm giving up on stuff that makes me happy. Cooking makes me happy. It's my passion and I love food. I wanted to be a chef, but I chose a different path. I could still make cooking a part of my life despite me taking a path different from what I like. I don't necessarily have to give it up, it's still part of me and will always be a part of me. So I could say I'm still happy in whatever I'm in right now.

For me, I would choose happiness. The job that does not pay well would be enough to live on, and I would be doing something I love. If I am happy, what do I need money for? I mean even a low paying job could pay for any bills, pay for nessacities, and get a few extra things along the way. If I got a job that I loved, I would take the job I loved versus college any day.

I have to agree with these statements. What use to you have for money if you are truly doing something you enjoy! Now, dont get me wrong. We do need money for our basic necessities and bills... but for one thing, there are plenty of ways to earn extra money! And second, like stated above, it is rather difficult to not be able to earn enough money, even with a lower paying job. The one of the only real reasons why there would be a problem is if you have a high standard of living (you need all the expensive brands/extra stuff). Even then, why would you want such a high standard of living if you already have the happiness that those items bring to other people? :rolleyes:

My, my.Happiness will always be the choice, but never go after it! Just live, doing what your heart tells you to do, and you will go after supreme happiness. But, this process, is the MOST difficult process in the world.Money is just the currency. what you want is what you get when you trade it. Material Things, and material things aren't the answer. You can live all rich and to the throat of money, but you can be very alone, sorrounded by hipocrits and liars that only want your money. So... better go for happiness while you earn your bucks. Don't make haste on it, just be patient.

The question really is, "what makes you happy?" I'm not talking about the kind of happiness that comes from getting a great gift for your birthday or from taking a vacation in Hawaii in the dead of winter at home. I'm talking about the real deep happiness inside you. It's the kind of happiness that's with you when you wake up in the morning - can't wait to get ready to head out to a job you love, have a healthy family that you love spending time with, feel comfortable in whatever place you live, love the food you eat, enjoy your day and accept that '*BLEEP* happens' once in a while, and go to bed knowing that you get to do it all again the next day. None of that requires excessive amounts of money... just enough to support a lifestyle that really 'makes you happy.' I placed a lot more importance on money when I was younger. I was totally focused on my career and making as much money as I could. Even though I have no regrets, that focus on my career cost me the opportunity to have a family. I've got a little bit stashed away for my retirement, but now I'm living a very simple life and I'm very happy. My boyfriend is not financially well-off, but I have never laughed so much in my life. No matter what we do, even things that can be chores, we make it a "fun thing." The place I live is smaller than where I've lived in the past, but it's incredibly comfortable and I love spending time in it. I don't want for anything exotic in my life, although a new car would rock. Having said all of this, if I won the lottery today, would I be happy about it? Hell, yes. I'd pamper myself like crazy, buy a bigger place, get some fabulous new clothes and take trips whenever the mood hit me. But if given the choice of losing everything I have in my life right now *OR* winning the lottery? No contest. I wouldn't be willing to trade up to "door #2" and lose the life I have. The grass is always greener in the bigger yards...

I wrote yesterday about the importance of happiness. Not that money isn't great to have, but true happiness is something that you feel inside... not just because you have nice 'stuff.' Every day I get an email message - from a spiritual group - with thoughts for the day. Coincidentally (or maybe not...) this is the message I got this morning:"True happiness isn?t a reaction to external events. You may have finally got the job you hoped for, or bought that car you longed for, or met the girl of your dreams. But before long the joy dissipates.Happiness is a force that emanates within us. When we bring our happiness to the world, the most ordinary experiences evoke delight. Suddenly, these experiences are no longer mundane. This is the nature of true appreciation.Summon this force of happiness within you today. Smell the proverbial rose, spend a little extra time with your family, or dance for no particular reason. Revel in the simple pleasures of life."I love getting these emails. Always a positive thought to keep with me during the day. I hope you enjoyed this one, too.

How can you feel happy, if you are hungry with no money.

A good question, but do you despite a good livelyhood, if your heart tell you to do that?I rather go hungry, than making something that isnt me.

I think the title is a bit misleading, which have been pointed out already by most of the people who posted before me. Some people get happiness through money, because they can buy what makes them happy. That is the need for material stuff. But I think what the thread starter was trying to ask is choosing a path (or job) that makes you happy because it's what you really want in life (or what you've always dreamed of becoming), or a path that will give you enough money (or even more) to support yourself or dependents, if any. Most people would say "go for whatever makes you happy", that despite the measly money you get, at least you're happy. Some would say the opposite, well, for practicality. If you live in a country with an economy that is struggling, sometimes people don't have any option but to take a path that's not necessarily of their liking, because they need money. In my country, you'd be surprised by how many nursing schools have popped up here and there because of the boom of the need for nurses all over the world. Most students take up nursing in the hopes of getting that job that pays well. Most of these people don't necessarily start off in life dreaming of wanting to become a nurse when they grow up. Most people would change careers because they don't get enough money in their current job, some are already professionals in their careers, and yet because of money, they choose to start over again, with something that's alien to them.
Now, enough with the lecture. For me, I would choose to have a job that pays well, simply, as I've said, because of practical reasons. I am not necessarily living a life of luxury, but I also have needs as a person, needs that weren't provided to me when I was young. As a working individual, I have a chance of fulfilling that need. Of course, for now I don't have that much need, so I spend less, but who knows, in the future I might be buying some other things, or probably having a family or whatever. How much you spend depends on your lifestyle. Of course when you say lifestyle, that includes the daily needs like food, shelter and clothing, if you're more on the "spending" side, then accessories, gadgets and stuff. The more the need for material stuff, the more you spend.

Saying that doesn't necessarily mean I'm giving up on stuff that makes me happy. Cooking makes me happy. It's my passion and I love food. I wanted to be a chef, but I chose a different path. I could still make cooking a part of my life despite me taking a path different from what I like. I don't necessarily have to give it up, it's still part of me and will always be a part of me. So I could say I'm still happy in whatever I'm in right now.

Thats are a good sum up, MB.
Even if you aren't at the place or work in your life and career, where your dreams are, you can still achieve what your heart desire for.
MB, points out well about cooking. But a tricky one that I've been reflecting over is if you are working with something you love, will it still be
your passion? I've been helping peoples out with there computers for almost 10-15 years time. And I love helping people with their computers.
It have been in a small scale, maybe 2-4 works per months overall. But sometimes I've been away helping people whole days, and back home,
I almost puked at my own computers. Now I'm planning to take the next step to a small company level. Will I still gonna enjoy my work and feel
happiness about who i am and where i am at a company level?