xisto Community
stoun

What Is Ubuntu ?

Ubuntu is a distribution of linux like fedora, redhat, and kubuntu. Out of all of the different distro's I've tried ubuntu seems to be the most user friendly to me at least....

Ubuntu is one of the most popular distributions based on a Linux kernel. It features the Gnome interface and a load of useful bundled software. There are a few different versions of Ubuntu that all use different window managers: Ubuntu (Gnome), Kubuntu (KDE) and Xubuntu (Xfce). There is also a fourth version called Edubuntu, which has lots of educational software and games.

Ubuntu is a kernal of linux like fedora, redhat, and kubuntu.

Linux itself is the kernel, Ubuntu is a distribution.
If you want any more information, or want to download Ubuntu, check out the Ubuntu website.

UBUNTU is a very famous distribution of Linux. It is a product of a community of programmers. It a Debian based operating system. They say, Ubuntu means Humanity to others. Since it is a distro of Linux, it is a open source Operating system.

The part I like about Ubuntu is that, even the shipping cost of the CD is bourn by the community and of course the CD is free of cost. This means you can own a legal genuine version of Ubuntu CD with even spending a penny from your purse. Isn't that amazing...???

It contains all the latest applications we need - a browser (Firefox), presentation, document and spreadsheet software (open office), instant messaging (many clients available) and many many more.

I tell you, it comes with amazing collection of goodies for free. But the only problem is you need internet connection in your PC to get those extra software packages you want. It even come with many programming tools packages.

They always promise that Ubuntu will ever be free of cost. So, this means the community should be driven with a lot of sponsorships. I sometime wonder how they find such rich sponsors to even bare the shipping cost for everybody around the globe. It is simply a stern stand from the community!

Ubuntu comes in four different versions:

1. Ubuntu

2. Kubuntu

3. Edubuntu

4. Xbuntu

Ubuntu usually comes with a GNOME environment. But some users prefer the K Desktop Environment so, the Ubuntu community has come up with a new version called Kubuntu which uses KDE environment. But i personally feel GNAOME is far better than KDE.

Edubuntu is their reply to the school needs. It comes in two versions, server version and client version. The client version is for the student PC and the server version is for the teacher or the admin.

Xbuntu uses a Xfce Desktop environment. I have never got a chance to try this. But i have heard that this is more used for high end PC's. I am certainly looking forward to work in this environment.

I am currently using Ubuntu 7.04 in my PC. Its visually appeal is comparable to that of Vista's. Some of the visual effects are amazing. The box effect is in particular very nice to see.

Hands up to Ubuntu!!!

looks like you got plenty of relevant answers, but let me just say this. As an Ubuntu user I am extremely pleased. When i first downloaded it i didnt know anything about the terminal or how to use it (fortunately now i've had a bit of practice). On my desktop everything (cept my lexmark printer) works right out of the box. And fortunately most of the software that cant run on ubuntu has an open source counterpart. My only major problem has been with my dell laptop. The wireless wont work (I have a broadcom chip). I got it to work once, but now its unoperational. Other than that i encourage you to try it.It is free after all.

Ubuntu is yet another distribution of Linux.

How is it different from other distributions??? [thats the punch]

1. It is just simple.

2. Has all the very basic features bundled for daily use.

3. Has other related projects in its bag....just chanceles...

a) Ubuntu with KDE desktop -- Kubuntu

:) Ubuntu for education -- Edubuntu

c) Ubuntu for old/outdated systems -- Xubuntu

4. Best GUI

5. Ease of usage....

Interested??

Visit this page to get your ubuntu.

UBUNTU is one of the most widely distributed operating system with the Linux kernel. I heard it is renowed with it's ease of use, and its features. It is based on Debian/GNU Linux, and it is based on the theory, that the software must be free. Ubuntu were on 27th place of Best Products of 2006 (PC World). I think it uses Gnome as GUI (not quite sure, maybe you can choose KDE too :) ).

You could download it from here: https://www.ubuntu.com/ :P

Ubuntu is one of many linux distributions. In recent years it has become extremely popular. However, i prefer KDE and the SUSE distrobution. I am not exactly sure why since most distros are very similar but i guess it has to do with how i have been using it for a while. It tends to be just as easy to setup and does everything i needed. However, if i were to switch to another distro, i would end up going to gentoo since it compiles all the code on the machine you are installing it on which allows for a huge performance increase. Its like buying a tailored suit, it fits exactly right and not just almost correct.