xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
angad619

S500i Review Sony Ericssons latest flashy phone

It is long past the time when cell phones were just communicating devices. At a time when the midrange wagon on the cell phone express is the buzziest, I was firm on staying onto the low-end wagon. I was firm I didn’t need a smartphone. But needs and wants are meant to change. Particularly speaking, the change is always on the ‘increasing’ side. One look at the majestic S500i, and I did jump into the 10k wagon. A look at these pics would tell you why:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Looks and Build Quality

While the build quality can be a matter of concern over a period of time, the looks are simply astonishing. Can’t think of another phone that can match the looks of the S500i. Since the phone si supposedly ‘inspired by nature’, SE has taken extreme efforts to make this phone special. The phone flaunts some flashy lights at the sides, a la 3220, except that they look much more classy! The phone comes to life during an incoming call. You have a default theme which changes according to the time of the day and the current season. I’ll be writing a special post on it soon. I’ve bought the phone amidst speculations that the aluminium keys crack on use!! But I’ve had the phone for a month now and (bless my stars!), the keypad’s still perfect. SE replaced all faulty phones and the new ones don’t crack.

Audio Output

The earphones provided with the package aren’t the ones provided with the walkman phones and I must say they don’t sound as good either. But you could always upgrade those. The phone manages to squeeze a speaker under the circular navigation keys! This helps deliver sound in all directions. Another breakthrough innovation in design!!

Connectivity

The phone has Bluetooth v2.0 and it also supports A2DP. This means you could pair it with stereo wireless headsets and also play music through another BT device with speakers! SE also packages the regular USB cable.

Entertainment and Multimedia

The inbuilt music player is very similar to that of the walkman phones. The ‘Play Now’ is an added feature which allows you to download music, ringtones and stuff in just 3 clicks. All regular games to play on the S500i but none of em make use of the lighting effect on the phone. We’ll have to wait for SE to release games customized for the phone.

Salient Features

Set 5 different alarms at a time.

Customize the lights. i.e. choose a particular colour for individual contacts, choose whether the phone lights up during an coming call when it is in silent mode etc.

Video Ringtones

Separate tone for individual callers.

Voice Dialling

Voice Answer

Flight mode

RSS reader

2.0 MP camera with video recording.

Now the –ves:

Aluminium keys feel brittle.

Small key size could cause problems to some.

Not a 3G phone. No EDGE.

The Package contains:

Phone, USB cable, manual, charger, SE PC suite CD, HPM-62 handsfree kit.

Conclusion:

This phone is all about bling. Tailor made for the youth, it is sure to make heads turn. With little or no negatives, it is sure to be the next big thing!!!