xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
leoncreations

Are You Artistic Or Logical?

Whether you are studying or working right now, take a 5 mins break, put down whatever you are doing now and just enjoy what I am going to show you next.

Look at the dancer below. What do you see? Is she turning clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Posted Image

If you see her turning clockwise (right) then your left side of the brain is doing most of the work, which means you are more of a logic/analyzing person.

If you see the dancer turning counter-clockwise (left) then your right side of the brain is in charge, this means you are the artistic/intuition person.

Well that's all well and good, but do you know the picture changes direction halfway through?I could see her turning both ways and stared at it for a while. It clearly changes direction.

Actually on second thought I'm not sure if it changes anymore :) it's got me boggled :P

Thanks, it was very interesting though!
Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Man that's pretty good. I had to look at it in image ready to check it out. I can definitely see her going both ways. But the shadow tells me that she is actually going clockwise. Also the shape of her feet tell me that her right foot is out - making her spin clockwise. If her left foot were out she would be spinning counter-clockwise. I guess I'm logical like that.

Man that's pretty good. I had to look at it in image ready to check it out. I can definitely see her going both ways. But the shadow tells me that she is actually going clockwise. Also the shape of her feet tell me that her right foot is out - making her spin clockwise. If her left foot were out she would be spinning counter-clockwise. I guess I'm logical like that.

So do you reckon the image reverses at different points? Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

Tricker

This is a trick image as it goes both ways the image tends to rotate on each direction after 15- 20 secs. You have to watch careful you will see the image change directions...Boooooooooooo

-reply by Gautam

Dear friend its turning counter clock wise .

And this is a sure fact. What do you think

Tricker

This is a trick image as it goes both ways the image tends to rotate on each direction after 15- 20 secs. You have to watch careful you will see the image change directions...Boooooooooooo

-reply by Gautam

Dear friend I have been concentrating it for around 4 minutes now and it is continuously rotating anti clock wise. Not at all changing its direction.

But after that I again concentrate on it for around 2 minutes now and you are right dear friend its changing after few seconds for a while.

Notice from rvalkass:

Merged double post. Remember to use the edit button to add to your posts rather than double posting.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

Well, no supprise there, logical, I am crap at art, I get more on the table than I do on the thing I'm painting on. There was that rumour that hand you use has something to do with, while it is true that left hand is controlled by the right site and the opposite for the right hand, that doesn't affect wether your artistic or logical.

I've managed to pull off both. At first it was rotating to the left, but if i blur my focus and look at the feet, it starts rotating to the right. Does this mean i am capable of entering either mode at will? And does this mean i can mix both? (Questions not directed to anyone, as obviously the topic starter is no longer active.) The image helped provide some insight on how memory management in the brain works, as removing the image out of sight and bringing it back into sight does not change rotation. The image is very interesting.

This might answer some of your questions truefusion.

A new brain test floating around online shows a spinning dancer and asks whether you see the image rotating clockwise or counterclockwise. If it spins clockwise, you supposedly use more of your right brain. Counterclockwise, and youre more of a left brain person. The test then lists functions associated with each side of the brain the left side includes uses logic and facts rule, while the right side includes uses feeling and imagination rules.
A good friend complained that the test told her she was a left brain person, even when she knew herself to not be into left brain associations such as math and science. A similar discrepancy was discerned by one of the authors of the Freakonomics blog, when he conducted a quick, nonscientific survey of blog readers, which cross referenced college majors and spinning dancer test results.

If the test sounds flawed, thats not just because one shouldnt use spinning dancers to characterize their brain strengths. Rather, the test is coming up inaccurate because it provides a crude view of the lateralization of brain function, or the concept that each side of the human brain specializes in certain mental activities.

The concept was born in the 1960s, when Roger Sperry studied epilepsy patients who had had a nerve connection between their hemispheres surgically cut. He found that the left brain hemisphere seemed to possess speech and a rational, intellectual style, while the right side was inarticulate, but blessed with special spatial abilities.

Modern neuroscience studies using brain imaging technology such as fMRI which shows active areas of the brain while a person is trying to perform a task have further suggested that language ability tends to be localized in the left hemisphere, while spatial ability tends to be in the right hemisphere.

However, neuroscience-minded blogs like Neurophilosophy point out that doing any complex mental activity requires cooperation from both sides of the brain, although certain processing tasks required for that activity may be concentrated on one side or the other. In other words, saying that math and science are left brain functions is an over-generalized statement.

Its not that you have a special math module somewhere in your brain, but rather that the brains particular functional organizationpredisposes it towards the use of high-level imagery and spatial skills, which in turn just happen to be very useful when it comes to doing math reasoning, said Michael OBoyle, a psychologist at the University of Melbourne, Australia, in a public statement through the American Psychological Association.

In fact, the best math students dont even seem to settle for being left brain people. A study undertaken by OBoyle found mathematically gifted students did better than average students on tests that required both halves of the brain to cooperate. This demonstrated that, while the typical person might lean more heavily on one hemisphere or the other to do mental tasks necessary for math calculation, the brightest among us can more fully integrate both hemispheres of the brain.

The idea that emotion processing only occurs in the right brain hemisphere and fact processing in the left is also misleading. Brain imaging studies have showed that people processed emotion using small parts of both brain hemispheres.

The popular notion of an emotional right hemisphere that contrasts sharply with a rational left hemisphere is like a crude pencil sketch made before a full-color painting, noted a 2005 Scientific American Mind article.

Believing in left brain or right brain people also fails to account for the human brains mysterious flexibility and plasticity. People who had half their brain removed encounter some problems like not being able to move or see from one side of their body but largely retained or relearned mental abilities such as language in their remaining brain hemisphere. All this research clearly points out that while Nobel winner Sperry was onto something with his lateralization research, trying to fully compartmentalize mental activity by brain hemisphere is imprecise.

So what does the spinning dancer tell us? The whole test is more of an optical illusion than anything else, according to Steven Novella, an academic clinical neurologist at Yale University School of Medicine who blogs on NeuroLogica. When our brains process visual images to make some order or sense of the world, they have to make assumptions. The dancer is just a two dimensional image switching back and forth, but our brains process it as a three dimensional spinning object.

Depending on the assumptions made and visual cues picked up, your brain can make the dancer spin either way. When my friend first sent the test to me, I saw it go clockwisethen switch to counterclockwise as I was staring at the screen. What this tells me about my personality and mental abilities is hardly a no-brainer the brain test connection to our mental strengths and weaknesses is nonexistent.

Source: Scienceline

What if I am able to see the doll rotating any direction as per my perception?I can switch over to any direction as per the mapping of my eyes and mind?What is the inference such tests give, are they really scientific? Can you suggest some similar test which will give me some inputs about my memory?