xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

What To Get A Girl For Her Birthday

Hey all, So, my girlfriend is turning sixteen in a couple weeks and I was just wondering what kind of gifts girls like? She?s not a real ?girly girl? and she?d probably prefer something small and meaningful more than some expensive toy or piece of jewelry, but I really don?t know what to get right now, so does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! :P

Would you consider making her something? You've got a couple of weeks. That should be sufficient for you to make something small and meaningful, like a friendship bracelet (some will come with instructions on making them) or a little sculpture.Or you could get something useful like a watch. And if you have enough money, get yourself a 'his' version so you both can wear them together.

My girlfriend, and I have been together for about 2years now, and it's never easy shopping for her. Sometimes I would have to ask her family members to give me some ideas on what she would like. Most of the time Flowers, jewelry, and perfume are what makes her happy. bishoujo has a pretty good Idea. I wish I could make her something like that, but I don't have any skills in anything like that.

First of all, how long have you been dating her because that really makes a difference. If its only been a month or two get her something small like a good looking (but inexpensive) pair of earrings or a necklace. The girl i currently am dating (only a few weeks at this point) has a birthday in just a couple of weeks. I plan on getting her a full body pillow because she loves mine and we have lots of jokes with it and then probably something pretty for her to wear. If you are dating someone, pay attention to the little things she likes and do something along those lines because they will enjoy it more.

I definitely don't consider myself a "girlie girl" because I can't stand jewelry (it took me ages to get used to wearing my wedding ring, which is pretty much the only thing I wear most of the time), I'm not sentimental over flowers because they just die, and I never wear perfume. So my husband sometimes has trouble figuring out what to get me, and I completely understand your dilemma.

Here are some ideas of things that most girls do enjoy:

scented bath products - Even tomboys like a good bubble bath once in awhile. You can go to Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, The Body Shop, or any department store to find bath sets. Hell, I've even seen some at the local drug store. I'm sure Walmart carries something too, but I even avoid the parking lot of that awful place.

chocolate - unfortunately, some people are allergic to chocolate or even (gasp!) don't like chocolate very much, but if your girlfriend does, then find some quality chocolates to give her. Get her a giant Hershey's Kiss and send her a message.

do something special - make her dinner, give her a massage, or do something that you normally wouldn't do for her.

buy a book or movie - is there a movie that makes you think of her or a movie that's special to both of you? Does she have a copy of your favorite movie or book? The best part about books is that you can inscribe something special on the cover or the first couple pages.

personalize it - there are tons of things that you can get personalized - including M & M's. If you go to mymms.com, you can choose up to two colors, up to two messages and packaging for your own M & M's. Yeah, it kinda falls under chocolate, but it's cooler.

make something - like the others said above, a handmade gift can be small but meaningful because you actually put some time and effort into it. I wouldn't go with the friendship bracelet because that's kinda elementary school to me, so that would also rule out lanyards and anything else you would make at summer camp. My husband likes carving pumpkins every year, so he's got a bunch of patterns on looseleaf and his tools in a plastic baggie. So for his birthday this year, I bought a little portable file box where he could keep his patterns neat and separated with enough room for a roll-out canvas kit to store his tools. I think it came out to less than $10 for everything, but I also painted and decorated it with patterns from pumpkins he did before. He loved it because I thought of something that was particular to him and it didn't cost much money. You could make a mixed CD and change the titles to reflect different moments in your relationship. You could write her a poem or a short story or draw her a picture. Make a little picture album of the two of you and write captions. It doesn't have to be all fancy like a scrapbook, and you can order stuff online at places like shutterfly.com, snapfish.com, or a number of other places.

Remember, the best presents are the ones that are unexpected. After I had a seriously depressing day sitting in 3 hours of traffic, I was supposed to meet my boyfriend for a date. Needless to say, I wasn't up for anything. I just wanted to sit at home and not go anywhere, so I cancelled our date. He showed up about half an hour later with roses in one hand and a carton of my favorite ice cream in the other. This guy definitely knew the way to my heart!

Edit: Forgot to close up my list tag :)

Edited by TikiPrincess (see edit history)

Hiya

Well you could just have a really nice day with her as her birthday present

Like for instance go out somewhere or stay home and cook a delicious meal or something like that

It depends really if shes the kind of person who likes those sort of things

Hope this helps :)

I'd agree with TikiPrincess. The best gift you can give her is something (either a thing or not) that we'll surprise her. Bake her a cake or prepare a breakfast for her. I'm not sure if most girls like this idea. But wake her up and treat her like a princess. That surely would work. Or sing something for her. As for something.. a bracelet/necklace (not those fancy ones) should be enough. It lasts long and I'm sure will be treasured.Well, you know her better than us so you should know what to do and give her. Best of lucks.

Well perhaps a thing that means a lot to you, such as an item in your family, I don't know. (Typical must be the "grandma's ring" etc, but no rings lol unless you wanna marry someone who's sixteen.)You could also make something, perhaps something dedicated to her, what that is - Well you know what she likes and how she behaves more than we do so take that into consideration.All ranging from bracelets to candies to photographies / scrapbooks with stuff from last holiday / event together.It's up to you, so good luck! And happy birthday to her from me ;P

Edited by Atthack (see edit history)

Hey, thanks for the ideas all! Still not sure exactly what I'll do but when I have some time I'll take a closer look at what everyone had to say, I'm kinda busy right now, but thanks again! :)

As for me - When I really want a person to remember me - I try to present something that I've done with my own hands, or something that recalls upon some major event that we did together (for somebody it might be a walk in the party, for someone else - a drunk party, or whatever. I'm sure, you could think of thousands of those moments in your life.) If you can't make something for any reason - still present her something that will provide a good memory (maybe an album with your favorite song? An inside joke that only the two of you'd get? OMG, practically - anything, even a teddy-bear. Jk, of course.) As for the more specific things - you should consider those for yourself, analyze her likes and dislikes, and you'll eventually get the "click" in your head.