xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lordoula

New Computer, Help...

I wanted to build a new computer and was wondering if you guys could suggest some parts... My price range is 600 dollars. I already have a hd and dvd burner. I am looking for something with two gigs of ram just a computer for daily use and copying dvd's and such...

Depending on the usage of your new computer, I would buy a barebone for 250-350 bucks off ebay, and then build from there. Money you have left over in your pocket, you could use it to buy the 2gigs of ram, and a video card around 256mb of ram.

My computer Specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz (Dual Core) 1333FSB

Motherboard: AS Rock Conroe 1333 (up to 3.6GHz+ CPU support)

PCI EX: 256MB Onboard video + 16x PCI Express Slots

Power Supply: 400W ATX power supply

PCI slots: 2 PCI and 1 PCI Express

I spent 339.00 + Shipping for that barebone. Then I added a better graphics card, and 2gigs of ram. I pulled my CD/DVD Burner from my old comp and put it in aswell.

I would say my system cost me about 550-600 bucks.

Well although I would say just buy a pre-build system since you can find one for that price, however if you really want to build a system for less then $600 I would search Newegg as they have the best prices and and very cheap prices for all that hardware that is out there, they also have a barebones section you can browse through. I would try and stick with combo deals as they will save you some cash in the long run, but fro mthe list I was building I wouldn't even want to look at the cheap hardware as I would try to stay current.

My system cost about $750 without an operating system and it was a pretty good system, but I don't think I could dumb it down for cheaper price hardware without going through a lot of problems.

This is my list, prices may have drop since I ordered them 4 months ago.

Keyboard & Mouse

Kensington 64365 Black USB Wired Slim Keyboard $29.99

w/ Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball 64327 2-Tone 2 Buttons USB + PS/2 Wired TrackBall Orbit Optical Trackball $29.99

Tower $50

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Floppy Drive $12.95

Diablotek 1.44MB External USB Floppy Drive

Hard Drive $64.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Processor & Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E4400 $129.99

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138055; target="_blank">BIOSTAR G965 Micro 775(Vista) Micro ATX Intel Motherboard[/url [discontinued on newegg]

can buy the motherboard here for $96

Motherboard Specs

DVD/CD-ROM Drive $16.99

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106067; target="_blank">LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model LH-16D1P-185</a>

RAM $68.99

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQVE1A16K</a>

Monitor $154.99

Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Power Supply $39.99

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=3&ID=86 ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply

Although the motherboard I have is no longer available on newegg, you have to make sure the motherboard is either ATX, micro-ATX, 775, intel based, dual channel it should still work with what I have on my list. From the looks of it you can drop the hard drive, DVD drive you save yourself about $80 dollars. You can save yourself another $60 dollars if you already have a keyboard and a mouse, and I would suggest getting a different mouse as I still slap myself for getting that trackball :). So as of right now this computer is at about $620. I would say you could save yourself even more cash if you replace the monitor with something more affordable; from what I saw on newegg you could get a LCD for $150 unless you go with a CRT monitor and save about $40 more with one of those. So that were my specs stand for what your trying to set up for your computer.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

These are the things I picked out from Newegg. I already bought the ram and powersupply but I can't decide on a motherboard and videocard. Can anyone suggest anythingCOOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $10.00 Mail-in Rebate$49.99EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail$10.00 Mail-in Rebate$149.99 Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail$40 After rebatesCORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX - Retail$60 after rebates ASUS P5K SE LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail$109.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail$169.99

Don't tell me you bought them bought them because that is the worse thing you can do at such an early stage when buying parts and what not. You have to make sure all your parts will work together and what not, thats why they have a wish list and the best part when looking at parts such as the processor they will have compatible parts with it, and use your processor as a stepping stone and show you what would work best when starting with the processor. Just a reminder you usually want to start off with a motherboard and then build your way up that way. Computer Based on the processor As you can see this is more thought out, took about 2 hours worth of combining the right hardware, the price is a bit lower but as you can see this is a sweet set up and the power supply can handle this load without a problem. A bit expensive but still s a descent set up, and it is possible to reduce some of the stuff price wise to make it go under $1000. As you can see I didn't add a keyboard or mouse to it but those are rather cheap anyways so ad about another $50-$60 to it and thats what your overall price would be. So use this as an example and since you did purchase the power supply I would suggest starting with that and see what you can get for combo's along with the RAM as well, just make sure the motherboard and processor can fit them both without worrying about frying anything.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)