xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
benzkids

Guests

has anyone noticed or have only me, but don't we always tend to have more then 100 guest on (not that its a bad thing) but why are they there. can't they create a account. it would be so much better:)

Most of those guests are search bots, spam bots and every other bot you can think of that take take up 95% of the guest numbers. While the other 5% are perspective members who want to join the site; although my numbers maybe off a bit but the breakdown would be close.

Simple you need to have members, and have those members make posts, and those post be loaded with content of various things for the search engines to index the topics and posts. Plus the only bots you really want are search engine bots, if you want spam bots well to fix that, turn off off the security feature to the registration form. So you better find a good way to use your forum and beat out the competition in getting people to posts stuff in your forums.

As earlier explained by Saint Michael, many guests are bots and also those who are looking to see whether this is where they would like to host their free website. As many don't want to contribute by posting and just want a quick and easy sign up but they don't see that right away. Others are directed here from hosted sites whether by linking back or if they are searching for a certain subject on a search engine, their search may lead to a topic here on the forums so when they click on it to read it they may not want to join but just read the topic. There are many guests that come thinking this place is a Runescape site. Some forums come with special accounts for Google bots but many come when they find your site as they roam around another. The more your link is passed around and posted on other sites, the better chance the search engines find you.

Yea I thought the exact same thing as you. :P It seems kind off funny to me now. But most of those are just bots I think. That would be sort of funny if we had that many guests searching around the forum and not even signing up. But still I think they should try and somehow make it so they are hidden. Because right now it is just sort of like fake stats.

lol why do you want bots? It may seem nice that your website is so popular that a lot of people seem to be browsing your website. However, people are getting exposed to more knowledge about spams and bots now. Also, if you have a large number of 'guests' and they don't join your website, it doesn't reflect particularly well on your site either. Anyway, good luck with getting more real members! Real members and lots of constructive posts are still the best indication of a popular forum.