xisto Community
benzkids

Wanting To Become A Moderator

wanting to become a moderator  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hey i have always wanted to become a moderator ever since i became a member. so i have been taking advice from opaque of how to get there bye reporting and stuff. but i was wondering, have you ever wanted to be a moderator???

Well, that is a pretty simple question, i have not thought about it, never to be exact but, now that i am thinking, i would like to be a moderator for once, i know that i would be a good one, i have the required qualities to be one, the sort of problem that could exist could be the lack of too much time to be on top of the situation on the forums i had to moderate, but besides that, i think i would and could do a great job if the admins asked me.But of course, my comments above were not expressed to manipulate the admin/s to ask me to be a moderator, that is just what i think about.

Hey,I am already a mod so I am not eligible for this vote :D But I guess this is one post that many members would want to be in but trust me it isn't all sugary as it looks...I was made a mod for I represent Xisto so OpaQue thought that I could help members better if I was a mod and sometimes I feel guilty when I cannot focus on Trap or Asta :PYou have to be a hard worker to be a good mod...

that actually would be a good idea. everyone who thinks that they would make a good moderator should post here so the admins don't have to look really hard. i for one go on here nearly everyday just to post for credits and to look out for rule breakersthat is why I've got spam patrol<<<

Edited by benzkids (see edit history)

And thats were your problem begins; posting, asking, pm to be a mod will make your odds of becoming one less likely. There is more to being a mod then just asking, it comes down to experience, time, and other things. Its not the matter of thinking you be a good mod its the matter of showing it, and making posts like this will only count against you, especially when it comes down to who has contributed the most in the forums. Of course there are been rare exceptions and I mean very rare exceptions.So the smart thing would be to close the topic, and let the admin pick who should be moderators or not. However, you could change the topic to say what it means to be a moderator then it could be a topic worth posting in.

And thats were your problem begins; posting, asking, pm to be a mod will make your odds of becoming one less likely. There is more to being a mod then just asking, it comes down to experience, time, and other things. Its not the matter of thinking you be a good mod its the matter of showing it, and making posts like this will only count against you, especially when it comes down to who has contributed the most in the forums. Of course there are been rare exceptions and I mean very rare exceptions.
So the smart thing would be to close the topic, and let the admin pick who should be moderators or not. However, you could change the topic to say what it means to be a moderator then it could be a topic worth posting in.

Dude i know exactly where your coming from but think at another point of view rather then the admin looking at 40000 members who don't want to be one, this ould narrow down buff and opa's search.

but yet at the same time you are right. it takes a hell of a lot to be a moderator.
it depends which way you look at it.

but if you must insist vote of what you think

One good thing that has come out of this thread is there haven't been any OMGZ! I WANNA BE MODZ ITLL B SO KICKARSE LOL!!!1! posts, and I think that it might be a good idea that if you want to volunteer yourself to be a moderator, you can post your request here. Of course, admin is not going to look at new members at all, and be skeptical about each person even wanting to be a moderator. Why would anyone WANT responsibility? :P Hell, I would think it would be nice to be a moderator once in a while just because of posts that I see that are questionable, but then again, it's just as easy for me to just report it.

It's that inner urge to nab a little bit of power, no matter how little, that probably makes us want to be moderators instead of actually wanting to do it to make a real difference.

But that's what I think anyway. :D

One good thing that has come out of this thread is there haven't been any OMGZ! I WANNA BE MODZ ITLL B SO KICKARSE LOL!!!1! posts, and I think that it might be a good idea that if you want to volunteer yourself to be a moderator, you can post your request here. Of course, admin is not going to look at new members at all, and be skeptical about each person even wanting to be a moderator. Why would anyone WANT responsibility? :P Hell, I would think it would be nice to be a moderator once in a while just because of posts that I see that are questionable, but then again, it's just as easy for me to just report it.

It's that inner urge to nab a little bit of power, no matter how little, that probably makes us want to be moderators instead of actually wanting to do it to make a real difference.

But that's what I think anyway. :D

when you say that, it makes you wonder why opa of buff don't make a new group for people who have potenical (can't spell) to be a moderator. like have them mod one catogory or something. that would be a good test of responability

OMGZ! I WANNA BE MODZ ITLL B SO KICKARSE LOL!!!1!

i don't think it would take long :P:D

Dude i know exactly where your coming from but think at another point of view rather then the admin looking at 40000 members who don't want to be one, this ould narrow down buff and opa's search.
but yet at the same time you are right. it takes a hell of a lot to be a moderator.
it depends which way you look at it.

but if you must insist vote of what you think

Its not hard to search for moderators when you have thousands of people visiting your site on a daily basis, you just look for those who stand out against the rest. People that help other members, make great posts and topics, contribute to the forums are just some of the factors. I was a former moderator here on the forums so I know how it works to become a mod here on these forums.

Posting is not hard, but making greats ones is.

Am I the only one who voted no for this?

Sure I'd like the power and the intimidation I'd give newbies if I was a mod, but I like this forum and I know if I became a mod only a matter of days until It is completely destroyed and I most likely banned. I am evil after all and therefore would most likely end up deleting topics left and right, warning mods for telling me how to moderate, attempting to ban opaque and buffalo help, and all together rain havoc on my fellow posters. :P

For the sake of man kind DO NOT give me any power! God help you all if I become a member of congress, or even worse the president. You will all die very cruel and painful deaths. So for the sake of your own souls, DON'T make me a mod.

That is all.

As for the search for moderators, it's constant but searching through hundreds of posts on one thread isn't the best way to do it as just seeing that someone would like the opportunity doesn't mean they have the qualities to be one. The staff on Xisto being on a lot get to know the members and after a long relationship they can see how people act and take note of their activity. Not only this but they look for those who can be good examples and intereact well with others and being helpful and those who are active on a regular basis.Having being a moderator for about a month I found out that on such a complex and unique forum here with a mass user base it isn't as easy as running your own small forum. I found that when school started that i couldn't continue moderating for the time as I didn't have much time, there are many posts and that need to be looked through but there also is a lot of decision making involved.

While a moderator sounds like a sweet job, I can tell you it's definitely not all fun. As a moderator, you have to make sure not to take sides when flamiong starts and just end it right away. You have to watch every thread for spam bots (yes, some of them can get past Captcha) And then you also have to respond politely to people who tell you your site sucks :s

I wanted to be a mod way back, because I thought moderators got special hosting or something, but when really moderators get nothing in return. All time that they focus on trap is voluntary, they are doing their moderation duties to help Xisto, not because they are getting something in return.Asking to become a mod may ultimately annoy either the admin, or moderator you are asking. The best thing to do if you wanted to become a mod, is to just follow the rules the best way that you can, post and report the spams as well. And of course, make sure that you have been around awhile, so Opaque or whatever Admin nows that they can really trust you to monitor the forums.

uhhhh no. Too much work for a large site like this, and I'm admin of a forum already, so technically thats a moderator with extra editing rights :P

Being a moderator is tough work. I am a moderator on another huge forum. Everyday, I have to dedicate myself to looking at people's posts and warning them if they have broken rules, which can be quite boring after some time.As the party pooper, you aren't exactly on of the favorite people in the forum. It's nice to know that you are doing something good for a community, but not everyone appreciates you for what you do, especially those you apprehend. And the sad thing with people is that most are quick to complain publicly, but slow to show their gratitude.