xisto Community
kab012345

The Best Game Programming Languages?

C++ = core algorithm and logicOpenGl/ DirectX = graphic APIRakNet = simple networkingLua Scripting = Scripting, several purposes: AI, physics, level builder and etcJava is not memory-wise and it takes too many resources off your PC. Most of the current games for PC are developed using C++

I would say it depends on the type of game. If you're only moving layers of images (like with old-school, top-down turn-based RPGs) with few effects, best to choose the one you know best rather than have a panic over what you're choosing.Also, Lua is used for interacting with the WoW interface, if you're interested.I'm tempted to make a quick game in VB just to poke at Tetraca, but he's right, so I won't :) Much as I'm a big fan of VBA and VB, they aren't particularly efficient languages - since they aren't targeted at that market. They're just easy programming languages.

SDL is good for 2D games, and OpenGL is good for 3D games (but you'll need a sound library like OpenAL to work in conjunction if you want music and sound).

Actually, SDL already has sound capability, among many other things, you just need OpenGL for the 3D.
I highly recommend you start with the basics, something like DarkBASIC Pro (I believe the free dll's people make for it improve this product substantially), BlitzMax, or Torque. Another solution would be to use Python combined with pygame (uses SDL engine with Python, for your 2D, sound, ect) and PyOpenGL (gives you direct OpenGL access through Python, for your 3D), which are all free. However, learning OpenGL is no easy task, as is learning C++ and using libraries. Just remember, OpenGL=multiplatform.

Many ppl told C++ is the best language for Game Programming ... well i dont agree with them ...As per today, the best game programming languale is "Microsoft Visual C++ in Visual Studio 2008" [well, nothing is Visual there :) ]Its simply because Microsoft DirectX. Maya\3D Studio Max also boost the Game as well.Desktop Programming : VC++ (Windows), C++ (Linux)Web Programming : J2EE (Mainly JSF 1.2 & Ajax) .. Flex is on the way of Web 2.0Browser Based Game : Flash ... but now Java is also going to capture the market after getting the Open GL Support.

There are so many languages out there to use, and so many components to acctually make a game.As soon as I realised how much work was needed to make your own game, I jumped the boat!.I usually stick to web development now, i tried learning Java, but it wasn't going anywhere because I didn't have any ambition to use it.

HiI would like to learn a Programing Language. I have tried dev c++ which I found was really complicated, so I probably won't like c++ but I would like to learn java and would like to have a link for free java. Oh and I'm only 15 and like computers and would like to start creating 3D games so does any1 have any programing languages that works with openGl -reply by Wayne

Hi

I would like to learn a Programing Language. I have tried dev c++ which I found was really complicated, so I probably won't like c++ but I would like to learn java and would like to have a link for free java. Oh and I'm only 15 and like computers and would like to start creating 3D games so does any1 have any programing languages that works with openGl

-reply by Wayne

Man, I'm gonna sound a lil biased, but here is the truth:

C++ is the language that gives you the best understanding of how your program runs.

If you do not understand that process, you are totally screwed [/colloquial language]

On a more serious note... I'm 15, too. "Fluent" in Pascal (Delphi), ActionScript(Flash), C/C++. Already had about 5-6 years of serious programming experience.

What is different between those languages? Only the conventions -- the rules that spell out HOW you are supposed to write stuff. Even C/C++, java and Flash use similar syntax structure.

Dev-C++ is the best IDE (C++ being the language), IMHO. However, I am moving to Code::Blocks for better flexibility/convinience now.

So far, I suggest using DirectX with C++ to create games. Wayne, you can try directxtutorial.com for some basic overview of HOW a simple game looks like. I know, it IS scary, but quite simple. It's like learning a new language (speaking, not computers :lol:) -- you get better at it if you practice.

So, I'd suggest to you to get a copy of GameMaker and experiment with that. Or a Macomedia Flash Player. Or a similar product.

For the least typing, I'd suggest Delphi with DelphiX component. Easiest professional(?) language/tool to master.

HiI would like to learn a Programing Language. I have tried dev c++ which I found was really complicated, so I probably won't like c++ but I would like to learn java and would like to have a link for free java. Oh and I'm only 15 and like computers and would like to start creating 3D games so does any1 have any programing languages that works with openGl

-reply by Wayne

you can try Game Maker..

but I will tell you that I prefer C++ than any others..