xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

What Are The New 7 Wonders Of The World?

In the middle of this year, the new Seven Wonders of the World have been decided by about 100 million Internet and phone voters around the world.

1. Statue of Christ the Redeemer, Situated in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Posted Image

This statue is perched in a strategic position on Mount Corcovado, overlooking the city of Rio de Janeiro. It was inaugurated in 1931, took 5 years to built, and made of concrete. It was built with open arms to symbolize that God loves and embraces all who come to him. A main attraction about this site, other than its religious connection, is the magnificent view from the mountain top.

2. The Great Wall of China

Posted Image

Construction of the wall already began over 2000 years ago. It was built to protect the land from invasion from troops on the outskirts. It stretches 6,400 km from Shanhai Pass to Lop Nur and has been hailed as the world's longest human-made structure. Because the wall stretches across different parts of China, you experiene different things at different spots. For example, from past experience. I don't like the section at Badaling because it is too crowded. I liked Simatai most because it is less developed and I can feel the long history of the wall simply by breathing in there.

3. The Colosseum, situated in Rome, Italy

Posted Image

This Colosseum was built nearly 2000 years ago. It is Rome's largest amphitheatre and could sit 50,000 spectators. It was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. If you watched Gladiator and are impressed by the set, you will be even more overwhelmed if you visit the Colosseum yourself.

4. The pink ruins of Petra, situated in Jordan

Posted Image

These ruins are centuries old and comprise stunning temples and tombs carved in the rock. It was long-hidden and then discovered by a Swiss explorer in 1812. It was the location for the movie Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. It is a great sight due to it's archaelogical background and desert setting.

5. The Taj Mahal mausoleum, situated in Agra, India

Posted Image

Construction of this palace began in 1632 and ended in 1648. It is built of white marble and stands in formally laid-out walled gardens. It is very peaceful and quiet to just sit there staring at the monument when it is basked in the sun rise of the dawn.

6. The Incan ruins of Manchu Picchu, situated in Urubamba Valley, Peru

Posted Image

Machu Picchu was built many centuries ago but only brought to international attention in 1911 when an archaelogist made scientific confirmation of the site. Perhaps due to its legendary temples, the place looks mythical. This is possibly the site of the Incas mentioned in Prisoners of the Sun, the famous Tin Tin series by Herge.

7. The ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza, situated in Mexico

Posted Image

Chichen Itza was built around AD500. There are four staircases of 91 steps that lead up to the platform, so there are 365 levels for 365 days of the year. The most imposing and we-inspiring buildings in the city consist of the pyramid, an astronomical observatory and the temple of warriors.

The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt were listed as the Eighth Wonder by default.

Everybody knows the pyramids, and because it is so amazing that it is hard to put everything about it in words, I will leave it to you to read up on the pyramids yourself.

Posted Image

Note: The above info was compiled from personal experiences, travel guide and word of mouth. If there is any inaccuracy, feel free to point it out. I woild also appreciate your personal thoughts about the places, as I have only visited 2, 3 and 5.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Please post thumbnails bishoujo. We do have a lot of dial-up users and you are killing their bandwidth!!!!When you host images with ImageFilez or imageshack.us, they do give you the option to post thumbnails in forums. Thank you.

That load was killer and I'm at my university with a T1 line!Anyway on to your post: Why did they make new 7 wonders? What was wrong with the old ones? In my opinion the pyramids and the stonehenge should be in the top 7. They are certainly more interesting than a lot of the ones that they picked. Besides, who picked these new wonders and who gave them the authority to decide?

That load was killer and I'm at my university with a T1 line!
Anyway on to your post: Why did they make new 7 wonders? What was wrong with the old ones? In my opinion the pyramids and the stonehenge should be in the top 7. They are certainly more interesting than a lot of the ones that they picked. Besides, who picked these new wonders and who gave them the authority to decide?

Hmm... I was pretty sure, hotel al Arab in Dubai was among them, not the Incan ruins.

Hmm... I was pretty sure, hotel al Arab in Dubai was among them, not the Incan ruins.

In my opinion there should be 3 modern wonders and 4 ancient wonders.

Modern: (not ranked, 1st isn't more wonderful than 3rd)
Statue of Liberty
Eifeltower
Kremlin

That's just me in what I look up to the most of today's constructions.

Ancient:
The Pyramids
Great Wall of China
The Colosseum
Taj Mahal

Sorry about the gigantic images! I guess i was too used to broadband and I thought the forum script automatically resizes them. I've replaced them with smaller ones. I hope it loads fine for you guys. I'll change them to thumbnails if there are any more complaints.

Why did they make new 7 wonders? What was wrong with the old ones? In my opinion the pyramids and the stonehenge should be in the top 7. They are certainly more interesting than a lot of the ones that they picked. Besides, who picked these new wonders and who gave them the authority to decide?

Sorry, I'm not too sure why they wanted to choose new ones. I think it is because there have been new monuments discovered since the choosing of the old ones, so it's only fair to re-decide. The new wonders were picked by people who voted online and through phone calls. I believe the procedures are written on New7Wonders.com I also agree that a lot of the old ones are more interesting, but it seems that a lot of people think otherwise. There have been some controversies about the voting and the decisions made, but that's off-topic already so I won't go on to that.

To abminara: You must be kidding about the hotel. No offence, but that doesn't even qualify. It is obviously too modern. Besides, you're insulting the Incan ruins.
Also, please count properly. I stated that there are SEVEN new wonders of the world. The Pyramids are the EIGHTH. And since this is a reselection, all selected entries, whether included in the old wonders or not, would still be considered new.

Dude, you're funny. Since when something has to be old to be great?

We must really have different sources.
http://www.aol.com//

1 Sydney Opera House
2 Eiffel Tower
3 Burj Al Arab Hotel, Dubai
4 Statue of Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
5 Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
6 Empire State Building, New York City
7 Channel Tunnel

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

1 Sydney Opera House
2 Eiffel Tower
3 Burj Al Arab Hotel, Dubai
4 Statue of Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
5 Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
6 Empire State Building, New York City
7 Channel Tunnel

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

same.

P. S. And I really don't care about a bunch of stones making part of an old city that has never even been used compared to the most amazing building on the face Earth today.

The list you have is probably the 7 Modern Wonders of the World. What I'm sharing is a new listing of the Ancient Wonders of the World. Maybe I should have made it clearer, but by default, people recognize Wonders of the World as the Ancient Wonders of the World. It's funny that the Redeemer statue is on both our lists, but one of the requirements for a monument to qualify for the voting is that it has to be of a certain number of years old, and the statue must have qualified, and given that it has religious impact, it's not surprising that many people would have voted for it. If you doubt the credibility of my post, you can check out New7Wonders.com for the listing and the criteria.I think ancient monuments are amazing because people of the olden days didn't have all the technology we have now to construct buildings and monuments. Yet they managed to raise whole cities with natural resources, possibly with their bare hands and very simplistic tools. Some monuments are so wondrous that people have no choice but to offer supernatural explanations. That's why they deserved to be named 'Wonders' of the World.You and other people who consider modern architecture as wonders are perfectly entitled to your own opinions, but I feel there is nothing wondrous about modern architecture. What can you wonder about them? They are very nice, strategically placed and functional. They do have high artistic and commercial value. But we all know that they are man-made by technology and artificial materials. They aren't as stupendous and fascinating as the Ancient Wonders of the World. The list you have certainly has some of the best architecture in the world, but I personally do not consider them 'wonders'.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Personally I think the votes were quite unjust. China has over 1.3 billion people, and the internet users in China added up together beats North America's population. With that amount of people it is impossible to lose. Of course, the great wall of China is a lovely place, I think it would have been voted in anyways.

China has the largest population in the world, but many of their people live in the rural areas and tribes and have no access to internet, phone or any form of technology whatsoever. If we consider a lot of personal factors and motives, we have a lot to doubt about the results. For example, some voters may not have been to all the 7 wonders of the world, and they'll base their decision on those they have actually been to. Also, not everybody knows about this voting event. I only knew that they were choosing new 7 wonders of the world after the results were announced through the media. I still think they should have a panel of judges, or impose stricter criteria on the voters.

There are alot more from wiki pedia.

Man-made travel wonders
1. Great Pyramids of Giza
2. Great Wall of China
3. Taj Mahal
4. Machu Picchu
5. Bali
6. Angkor Wat
7. Forbidden City
8. Bagan Temples & Pagodas
9. Karnak Temple
10. Teotihuacán

[edit]Natural travel wonders
Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon

1. Serengeti Migration
2. Galápagos Islands
3. Grand Canyon
4. Iguazu Falls
5. Amazon Rainforest
6. Ngorongoro Crater
7. Great Barrier Reef
8. Victoria Falls
9. Bora Bora
10. Cappadocia

Wait.....Are the Seven wonders of the world constantly changing? I thought they were different........ I am confused...