xisto Community
sheepdog

Internet Connections Cant stay connected

I would really appreciate any ideas/sugestions for my current computer problem. I am on dial up, it has always been very slow, but for the past few weeks I have first off, had a TERRIBLE time getting a connection, and then when I finally do get one, I frequently get kicked off in a few minutes. It is makeing me crazy, I can't even keep up with my emails, and make my posts here, let alone work on my poor neglected web site. So far we have tried....2 times the phone company has been out to check the outside lines. They swear it is not their problem. We replaced the wiring and connections in the house. I did get a new modem, it helped somewhat. It is a little easier to make the connections now, I can get on in one or 2 trys instead of the 10 trys like with the old modem. However, I still can't stay online very long. Sometimes I get lucky and get 30 minutes or so, most time it's just a few minutes. Please help!

Contact your ISP and ask them if their systems are throwing you off. When I was on dialup I had the same problem. When I phoned my ISP they claimed that I was using an awful lot of bandwidth by reading my emails (which according to them, can be "at least a few megabytes"...). They will be able to say if they are cutting you off, or if the problem is at your side. If they reveal its their problem, quit and find a new ISP. No good ISP chucks people off for no reason. Maintenance maybe, but no other reason.

i think the best way is to use some connection which is dial up.The dial up connections have dificulties im connecting and have low speed.I used to connect via dial up once a time,but i've changed now to cable modem.It is really good

I don't know how pissed your ISP will get but you might try using Netzero's Free dialup as a test:If you were to use Netzero and the problem persists than the problem is most likely on your endOn the otherhand, if you were to use Netzero and be problem free, than it would be safe to assume that it's on your ISP's end.Just remember that Netzero's Free dialup may not compete in speed but it should be a good measure in terms of connection.

Have you scanned your computer for viruses? when your using a dial-up sometime a incoming call can interfere with the connection but in other cases it can be something else like a virus or computer error maybe.. im using netzero now and it kicks me off maybe about every hour or so.. i had that problem before and i was told your phone voice msg's can also cause problems with a connection..

keeping%20a%20internet%20connection

Internet Connections

I have a desktop with dsl and router connected and a wireless notebook. The modem has been configured and working well. The router is a belkin F5D9230-4 and many times when I boot up the computers I have to restart the router to be connected to the internet. I have to do this everytime the computers are booted. Is there a way to solve this problem

P.S. I have updated the firmware for the router and this haven't solved the problem.

-ron husband

Have you scanned your computer for viruses? when your using a dial-up sometime a incoming call can interfere with the connection but in other cases it can be something else like a virus or computer error maybe.. im using netzero now and it kicks me off maybe about every hour or so.. i had that problem before and i was told your phone voice msg's can also cause problems with a connection..

I've got NetZero HighSpeed also. It doesn't work (unless you specify it to) with FireFox or anything except for Internet Explorer. I too get kicked off about every 3rd or 4th hour it seems. NetZero has an activity timer that is in all honesty a steaming heap of idiotic technology. I know and understand that bandwidth isn't cheap, but what about the people who need to leave their internet on overnight to download a big file? You simply can't do it with NetZero.

I would suggest to update you ISP connection to DSL or something higher than the Dial-up connection. Also try to scan your computer for some malware, virus and spyware that possible gets you disconnected from the Internet.

Well I too am poor :D and I have to use dialupNetzero is very good connection wise but they do kick you off every 3 hours...My suggestion is if DSl isn't available and you can't afford satellite. get peoplepc :ooh and both of these you have unlimited bandwidth because mine's on 24/7 almost and I rack up a few gigs of data :) on dialup!! Lol!!