xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kenobi

What Are Your Current Impressions Of Fallout 3 Project? Will it be better or worse then the old Fallout?

Fallout is one of the best RPGs which were created in this genre. It is also one of my favorite games together with its sequel Fallout2. Although the graphics weren't anything special, it had a superb story with detailed world and a dark postapocaliptic feeling and a very unique sense of humour. I loved this game so much that I have beaten it several times. And so I couldn't wait for Fallout 3. Unfortunately Interplay had quite big financial problems in that time and so they chose to stop the Fallout 3 project. There is a pre-alpha tech demo out on internet from the original Interplay Fallout 3 which you can download and play although its only one small city map with a the vault and its from a very early stage of development so nothing special but you get the idea how could it been finished. Good old Fallout with nicer graphics. So after the development was stopped the rights to develop Fallout 3 were bought by Bethesda a company that created the Elder Scrolls series of which the most known are Morrowind and Oblivion which won many prizes as best rpgs of year. So you can say that I should be happy that Fallout 3 is in good hands, its developed by a company with good reputation and lots of money. But the problem is I never really liked Morrowind or Oblivion. Why? Because I got bored playing them after 2 days. Maybe it was because I'm a fan of old school 3rd person isometric view RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape Torment and Fallout. I liked to have a group and I liked the combat system where I could pause the combat and think about what to do next. I didn't want a chaotic combat system like in Oblivion with wild clicking around as if it was a first person shooter. When you think about it although both were RPGs they were totally different. And that is why I'm not sure what to think of the Bethesdas Fallout 3. They already change the view to first person and also changed the combat system to suit their first person style of play more and it makes me wondering if it still will be Fallout or just a postapocaliptic Oblivion. I hope that the third sequel will remain true to the Fallout series.
What do you think?

For fans of Fallout who don't know, there is a very good site about all Fallout games: http://www.nma-fallout.com/ with lots of interviews and news about Fallout 3 too.