xisto Community
t3jem

Firefox Trying To Save Webpages

Hello, There are times when (such as on here at Xisto) I try to submit a forum reply and instead of firefox loading the thread after submitting a popup opens up and asks how to open "index.php". I don't know when this started happening, it's been a little while now and seems to be on and off, but it has just recently become a large problem as I have just accidently submitted a reply about 5 times in another thread. I have already deleted the firefox settings from my application settings folder; however, that did nothing to help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yea i have been having the same problems too when i try to do certain actions with mysql in my cpanel. I get a popup that says to download the index.php files. I thought it was something i was doing wrong but i guess it is firefox. Anyone got a fix for this problem?

Well, I did have php installed on my computer, I just realized that it may be a problem since it didn't exactly have a clean install, I just uninstalled it to see if it will help, but it hasn't been long enough for me to know. Do you have PHP installed on your machine, street?

From the Mozillazine site, seems there was another {similar} problem with PDF's and perhaps this link might help. I didn't read the suggested links, but it might be required to adjust the mime-type or file associations for the html files??? don't know for sure, but have a look here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=584702

I think it only happens when the file is rather large or the server is under heavy load causing the file to load slower. Maybe when it is because of this slowness firefox decides to show that dialog box asking to save. I am just speculating, but it seems that way to me. Maybe it has a time limit... if it doesn't receive headers before that time limit, it will ask if you want to save it.

From the Mozillazine site, seems there was another {similar} problem with PDF's and perhaps this link might help. I didn't read the suggested links, but it might be required to adjust the mime-type or file associations for the html files??? don't know for sure, but have a look here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=584702

I just installed the the extension and am trying it now.

I think it only happens when the file is rather large or the server is under heavy load causing the file to load slower. Maybe when it is because of this slowness firefox decides to show that dialog box asking to save. I am just speculating, but it seems that way to me. Maybe it has a time limit... if it doesn't receive headers before that time limit, it will ask if you want to save it.

I think firefox should know that if it is a php file that it should open it like a web page even without headers. a php file is just like an html file except it gets compiled by the server before being sent to the client. I think it has more something to do with firefox not know what to do with a php file; however, this is just my view on it, I could very easily be wrong.

Edited by t3jem (see edit history)

If I remember correctly the only reason you would get the php file download pop up is that particular file glitch in a certain way that the coding is not being read by the browser correctly or it didn't download completely. Usually a refresh of the page will help solve this problem.

If I remember correctly the only reason you would get the php file download pop up is that particular file glitch in a certain way that the coding is not being read by the browser correctly or it didn't download completely. Usually a refresh of the page will help solve this problem.

Well, see, that's where the problem comes in. I understand refreshing to fix a problem and all, but there have been times where I can't post a replay here at trap because every single time I try I get the popup. I have yet to receive one since today though, so I may have fixed it by using one of the methods I mentioned using above.

Alright, I thought the problem was fixed, but apparently not, but I think I have found that it happens more often during times of extreme packet loss on my internet. It may be that headers are not received, but I'm not sure because I don't know how browsers work, any ideas?

Firefox is trying to download pages instead of displaying them.Firefox Trying To Save Webpages

I have been having trouble, mainly on facebook when I click a link such as home and a file home.Php wants to install rather than take me to my facebook home page.  Interesting enough, this also happens when I click on the facebook home link that I have in my bookmarks toolbar.  I uninstalled firefox, removed all traces of it on my computer and in my registry, scanned with malwarebytes and avast, then cleaned my computer with ccleaner, then reinstalled firefox.  I did not add any extensions or add ons when I reinstalled.  The problem still occurred.  It is happening on both computers in my home.  I spent almost two hours with someone from firefox chat help trying to figure out why this is happening.  I sent the person a copy of the home.Php file, as well as a hijackthis log.  I was unable to resolve this problem with the person from firefox.  I hope emails me with a solution.  These are all possible causes that I found, without any solution mentioned:  Something is changing the headers in the browse, firefox is leaking code.  I personally think that the microsoft vista updates that I just installed screwed with firefox in order to make my experience on it unpleasant so that I would have to go back and use internet explorer.  All this started happening around the time that I installed the updates.  If anyone has any info on how to fix this, I would be grateful to know about it.

-reply by Lisa

My wife is having the same problem as Lisa is (above)

Specifically speaking to her post ... There's a real good chance we're barking up the wrong tree, and the problem lies with Facebook, *not* with Firefox. 

If the Facebook server is identifying the .Php files incorrectly, and if the MIME type is unknown, wouldn't Firefox offer to save the file because it doesn't know what else to do with it?

Just throwing that out there as a thought ... It's driving me nuts though, because my wife is into the Facebook with a vengeance, and when she has a computer problem, I have a computer problem. :-)

--

posted by bbo