xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mofomilitia

Asking A Girl Out which movie is appropriate?

Theres this really quiet girl who i want to ask out. i figure i should ask her to a movie for the first date since i really dont know her in the least and this way we wont risk staring at eachother awkwardly over dinner/coffee with nothing to talk about.my question is, what kind of movie is acceptable for a girl to see?normally id choose a romance, but theres nothing like that playing. our local theatre has:3:10 to Yuma- heard it was really goodSuperbad- seen, would gladly see againThe Brave One- never heard of it, its about a women being assaulted.. might wierd out my dateballs of fury- really want to see it but im sure that would be a bad idea for a date.so my question is, especially to girls out there, which of these would be a good choice? are any appropriate for a first date?btw my pick up line is:"hey, have you seen 3:10 to Yuma?""no""would you like to?"sound good^^?

Theres this really quiet girl who i want to ask out. i figure i should ask her to a movie for the first date since i really dont know her in the least and this way we wont risk staring at eachother awkwardly over dinner/coffee with nothing to talk about.
my question is, what kind of movie is acceptable for a girl to see?
normally id choose a romance, but theres nothing like that playing. our local theatre has:

3:10 to Yuma- heard it was really good
Superbad- seen, would gladly see again
The Brave One- never heard of it, its about a women being assaulted.. might wierd out my date
balls of fury- really want to see it but im sure that would be a bad idea for a date.

so my question is, especially to girls out there, which of these would be a good choice? are any appropriate for a first date?

btw my pick up line is:
"hey, have you seen 3:10 to Yuma?"
"no"
"would you like to?"

sound good^^?

if I were you - I'd go with a comedy (in your case - superbad, laughter brings people together). From my experience - WHAT you say when you ask her out doesn't matter, it's more of HOW you say it. You have to be confident in yourself and show it in every single way possible. Although, if she's a quiet one - you might also want to try not to be overactive, if she sees the huge gap between you two - nothing is going to work out, you'll break up after a couple of dates. I remember my first date asking:

- Hey, waht's up? Wanna hang out this weekend?
- Sure

that's it. We went around the "party streets", entered a restaurant, and went home some time by 9-10. Of course, different people have different ideas about an ideal date, but the main thing that you have to concider is that you are not the only person that should feel comfortable - in the firstplace think about her, her feelings and desires. That's pretty much all you need to know... All the rest will come to you "in the middle of the date"

I would actually NOT recommend seeing a romance on the first date. And I probably wouldn't go with a romantic comedy either. Sometimes the situations that the characters get into are a little awkward, and it might be uncomfortable for people who aren't really in a relationship yet. Comedies are great because you can laugh at some of the stuff together, but what if she laughs and you don't or vice versa? There's kind of a pressure to enjoy something, but some people just have different ideas about what's funny. Action/suspense films are good because they're so engrossing. They really draw you into the characters and storyline. Plus you have lots to talk about afterwards.
But rather than pick the movie yourself, why not ask her what she'd like to see? Strike up a conversation about movies, or say you were thinking of watching a movie this weekend, but can't decide and ask her which one sounds the best. Then ask if she wants to watch it together. It's less pressure because you're making it seem like you were going to watch a movie anyways, so it's no big deal if she says no. It also makes her see that you value her opinion, which means that you've noticed her, and she might feel more comfortable talking to you without being so shy.

Although, if she's a quiet one - you might also want to try not to be overactive, if she sees the huge gap between you two - nothing is going to work out, you'll break up after a couple of dates.

Totally not true. My family is very matriarchal, so all the women are pretty loud and rambunctious. And they all seemed to marry very quiet and soft-spoken husbands. There just has to be a good balance and a degree of understanding between the two. Ya know, that whole saying of opposites attract, yin and yang, etc.

Totally not true. My family is very matriarchal, so all the women are pretty loud and rambunctious. And they all seemed to marry very quiet and soft-spoken husbands. There just has to be a good balance and a degree of understanding between the two. Ya know, that whole saying of opposites attract, yin and yang, etc.

You see... for some reason I think that I'll be right to infer that your parents are not teenagers that don't know how to ask a girl out:)

You see... for some reason I think that I'll be right to infer that your parents are not teenagers that don't know how to ask a girl out:)

I merely used my parents as one example of people with opposite characteristics that were able to have a relationship despite the differences between them. I think it's rather presumptuous of you to disregard a possible relationship simply on the basis that you think that she might be annoyed by your behavior. Just because she's shy and quiet in public doesn't mean that she can't have all sorts of crazy thoughts going on in her head. Ever hear of the expression "Still waters run deep"? If you want a relationship to last, then try to be as true to yourself as possible because if your posing for her/his sake, then it'll be a real shocker when they discover the real you. Yeah, so you're not going to act the same way around her as you do with your guy friends or whatever, but if you're an active person, then be active.

I merely used my parents as one example of people with opposite characteristics that were able to have a relationship despite the differences between them. I think it's rather presumptuous of you to disregard a possible relationship simply on the basis that you think that she might be annoyed by your behavior. Just because she's shy and quiet in public doesn't mean that she can't have all sorts of crazy thoughts going on in her head. Ever hear of the expression "Still waters run deep"? If you want a relationship to last, then try to be as true to yourself as possible because if your posing for her/his sake, then it'll be a real shocker when they discover the real you. Yeah, so you're not going to act the same way around her as you do with your guy friends or whatever, but if you're an active person, then be active.

Oh, absolutely. I never said, that you have to fake yourself, which would be, in a way, lying to her, I meant - when two people meet and one is too active relative to the other - she'd feel as if he's pushing her toward a brick wall of shyness behind her, while she cannot escape. Two "even" people can never make a good couple, but when you meet a person that you want to have a relationship with - the first things that you have to show are that you are more, or less, interested in the same things she is - I'm sure that you don't have one to one taste on movies, or books, or anything else, but DO NOT LIE to her. Just talk about the ones you think she'd also enjoy, leaving the others behind.

The other thing is to show her that you do value her and her opinion - don't always be the person leading the discussion, ask questions that she'll have to make longer responses for, thus she'll feel more comfortable being around you without the chains of shyness holding her back as much as they did when she speaks to someone else.

When I've been asked out to the movies by guys, we've always gone to watch a comedy. I don't think that going to the cinema would really help you get to know someone. Okay, there's the time before and after the movie, but not during it, and this time may only be 5 minutes if you meet up at the cinema or something.But a trip to the cinema wins over a meal at a 'resturant', for a first date anyway. Definetly too awkward. And what if they ate like a pig? haha...Am I making any sense?

When I've been asked out to the movies by guys, we've always gone to watch a comedy. I don't think that going to the cinema would really help you get to know someone. Okay, there's the time before and after the movie, but not during it, and this time may only be 5 minutes if you meet up at the cinema or something.But a trip to the cinema wins over a meal at a 'resturant', for a first date anyway. Definetly too awkward. And what if they ate like a pig? haha...

Am I making any sense?

Not really. For me a perfect date is not going anywhere specifically - maybe stopping or a snack in a cafe, and then wandering around the market streets for several hours. In the cinema she/he will pay 0 attention to you (assuming that it's a good film), or hate you afterwards, if it was bad in his/her mind, and it was your idea to see it. Restaurants are too expensive and usually noisy. I prefer more privacy than a huge dining room with waiters asking you how are you doing every 2 minutes, seriously thinking that you are fond of nodding your head infinite amount of times per evening.

P. S. I might just be bious, because I wark in a restaurant myself:P

abminara: Well, there's a lot of pressure on a first date, and not everyone is as confident as you pretend to be. So movies are a great way to keep the focus off yourself and on something else. And like I said before, it gives you something to talk about after you watch it, whether the movie was horribly bad or absolutely wonderful. Yeah, maybe it's not an effective way to get to know someone, but sitting at a cafe or a park in awkward silence isn't all that fun either. It gives you a topic of conversation for at least a good half hour or so and something to fall back on if you do slip into those awkward silences.

I agree, definitely go with Superbad. You want her to feel good and laughing and watching funny movies makes people feel good, naturally. And, if you're lucky and play your cards right, by the end of the night she'll be "blaming" the happy feelings on YOU and not the movie!! Nice little cheat you have going there. It'll work fabulously.Oh, and don't forget to buy her some popcorn and soda and candy if she wants!! Even if she says no, at lesat get her some popcorn. Unless he doesn't like popcorn, of course, lol. And just to show your suave and in control, ask for extra butter. =)Good luck! Let us know how it goes, I want to know what happens between the two of you. Best of luck!

abminara: Well, there's a lot of pressure on a first date, and not everyone is as confident as you pretend to be. So movies are a great way to keep the focus off yourself and on something else. And like I said before, it gives you something to talk about after you watch it, whether the movie was horribly bad or absolutely wonderful. Yeah, maybe it's not an effective way to get to know someone, but sitting at a cafe or a park in awkward silence isn't all that fun either. It gives you a topic of conversation for at least a good half hour or so and something to fall back on if you do slip into those awkward silences.

Life is too short to be pretending to be someone that I am actually not. Just I realize that when I go to college - and after - I will clearly not have such opportunities and liberties that I have now, thus I use them to full extent. Some people don't realize that, Or realize, but can't force themselves to step over the invisible barrier to be a leader in almost any situation. But that's a good thing, the world structure needs that there would be more followers than leaders, otherwise it would turn out into total anarchy. To me movies are no good at all as for discussion - many people in the topic adviced action movies - like the transformers - I'm sure that if I was watching it with my friend - we would not be discussing world issues, etc. that would make me know her better, but rather the abilities of different machines. That's why I prefer discussing boks and activities that each of us selects for ourselves, as it makes more sense to discuss what you actually like, and not a thing that you are bored to death to watch and just sit in the theatre because a person you care about sits nearby.

Now, of course I am not (that much of a) nerd to go to the park with my friends to read a book. Books are totally fine when you are on your own and have time to think over the style, etc., to find out what the author was meaning and thinking of when he was writing the book. Though, in my opinion, a best way to actually know a person you are interested in is to know what they are thinking of, and the only key to that is a dialogue.

I really don't see a point in going to the movies, saying hi, staring on the screen for 2.5 hrs, saying good-bye after 30 minutes of speaking as to how awesome the transformation of a machine into a bot and back was effectswise. To me it's just waste of time and money.