xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Icarus

What Is... A Hang Drum?

A Hang (Pronounced 'Hung') Drum... sounds like something you'd Hang off a roof or such. Well it's not. It's a new kind of instrument. Well relatively new... It was created circa 2000, and can produce an interesting mix of different ethnic-type sounds. It looks like two bowls binded together, made of a metal, circular, and you generally use your hands to to produce the sounds (of course, one could always experiment with using different types of percussion sticks).

I've only recently found out about these, myself, and thought it be neat to tell other people about them. It's a really neat instrument. Here are some videos (from YouTube) of people playing a Hang Drum:

Well Hang
Improvising on my own Hang Drum!!
Hang Drum with synchronized delays
Sunset Hang Drum Jam #2
Hang Drum- Manu Delago

I think it's an awesome instrument. What do you think of it? Would you buy / play one? Would you use one in your band / recording / live performance?

Check out the site - http://www.hang-music.com/

I always love learning about strange new instruments. I love the sound and the fat vibration it leaves after. Where would I go about buying one of these and how much of a hit would my wallet take from it.