xisto Community
lloydg

Start Learning C/c++

I want to learn C/C++, i know some other languages such as some BASIC once and python, what should i download to get C/C++ is it Visual studio? and is that free and if possible could i get a link to the right 1.. i have looked on Google but there was to much stuff to pick from. also if you know nay good tutorials to learn the syntax of C/C++ i would like a link them as well.thanks

"C how to program" by Deitel and Deitel is one of the best books you can buy on learning C.This is what I used as a text book at the college where I got my Unix Application Developer Diploma.Next step after learning basic OOP concepts was to buy a compiler and I found Essential Visual C++ 4 by SAMS publishing. This wonderful book came with a compiler all for 40.00CA! Can't beat that with a stick. Well maybe now 10 years later you can find an even better deal.Hope this helps. Good luck learning C and C++.

If you want to learn C programming the "real" way, drop the IDE business, install any unix-based platform - linux being my favourite - use any text editor with C syntax highlighting and install gcc to compile source. Forget about C++, it's not going anywhere for now.

But you probably don't want to do that.

The one thing I can recommend is to avoid any Microsoft compilers/IDEs. They are generally not worth it, as well as bloating any code you do not write entirely by hand. And remember, .NET is evil....

DevC++ is good enough for most things, so long as you aren't trying to be too specific with compilation options. Later it might give you some problems (thinking of platform-independant code), but for the beginning at least, you should be fine. Other than DevC++, there's also Eclipse, Netbeans (though this is primarily for Java, it has an absolutely brilliant C/C++ extension) and Anjuta that might be worth trying. As far as I know they all have builds for Windows.

As for docs, I have a pdf of "The ANSI C Programming Language, second edition", which although almost as old as the C programming language itself, is still a very nice thing to have. I can't post it here, though...

Whatever you do, please try to stay away from Microsoft stuff. Eventually you will find that you cant live without them, and perhaps by that point you will know about as much about programming on windows as you will ever want to. *NIX is so much smoother :P

I use Borland C++ 5.0 and even it houses some bugs, but I feel more comfortable than those days I spent with Borland C++ 3.0. I'm looking forward for DevC anyway.on the other hand, visual Studio is not free as I know, so I would avoid that...

I would suggest devC++, it's good for getting started because it's free, I don't use it because i have the hundred dollar compiler from microsoft, but it's still a pretty good compiler. Go here http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html and download it.Good luck learning!

devshed is good for personal learning , but our company uses borland builder 6.

i suggest you find a compiler (any compiler), buy books, if u can't afford it, download e-books, there a lot of free ebooks in internet. or you can just download the illegal but i don't recommend it (hey, i use it too heh). i suggest you try reading the book "C for dummies". try to do some practices. remember, a 1000 mile journey start with a single step. thanx