xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
YungOdo

Win98 Display Error

i have a older computer for my nephew and iv'e been trying to change the display resolution to run a certain program but every time i go to "display" inside the control panel and click on the "settings" tab the monitor crashes and flickers then i cant see anything then having to restart it.. i've tried to run it in safemodeto change the monitor driver or whatever but its still not working and im having a hard time finding out what the problem is and i also tried to use another monitorstill the same problem and i was never having this problem before with that computeranybody possibly know what could be wrong?..

Did you install the latest drivers for the monitor and the video card? If not, then it may be possible to force unsupported resolutions which will cause your monitor to display a black screen. Also, does this happen when you try to use the control panel that the video card drivers come with to change the resolution? The video settings tab isn't the only way to change resolutions. Try running something like Scandisk to make sure that any of the system files aren't damaged, although this may not necessarily help.

Edited by dre (see edit history)

Try booting in from vga mode. I guess that will solve the problem.It is mainly because you probabily have set the resolution to higher mode which is more than the capacity of your monitor.Set it back to original one or lesser . Hope that solves your problem.