xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
etycto

A True Phony what kind of person is a realy phony?

well over the sumer all juniors to be had to read "the catcher in rye" the book was not my favorite book specialie do to holden's depressing ways, not my kind of person, but farely written book.but doing class something that rose during our discutions was how holden called almost about everybody he knew a phony, specially the adults, the issue was that if you act act differenlty in differen settings are you a phony. ex: if you love cracking on people and revealing their flaws but are you a phony if when you meat an "influencial" person you're all nice to them.the way i see it is that no that person is not a phony because every situation and every setting deserves a unique way of being delt with. ex: if you're the kind of person that love to make joke in about every sitution and goofe around but you loved to be docter and now you are. would you still goofe around when you're diagnosing a patiente imagine this your docter says "knock knock" you'de say "whose there :D" and he'd say "breast" you say "um :(:D breast who " then he says "breast cancer :ha ha: cause that's what you got :ha ha: XD" " :D > :XD: :) " the patient would get angry would'nt they because what kind of docter does not take their patients problems seriouly. if the person loves to make jokes and becomes a docter they will need to take the job seriously even if it means not being 100% themselves, because that line of work requires you to be serious.that's the way i see it what ya'll think

Holden Caulfield was a young teenager looking at the adult world. The young man was idealistic - VERY much so. That's why the adults who acted one way in one situation, and a different way in another, were phonies as far as he was concerned. His idealism had not yet been shattered, even at the novel's end. (It's one of my very favorite books, by the way. I was about Holden's age when I first read the novel...and had very much the same idea about the grown-ups as he did. I guess it was just a matter of finding the perfect book at the perfect time.)That perspective is VERY different from the doctor's that you used in your example. Adults have to have professional attitudes and casual attitudes. You're right: a doctor shouldn't (and usually won't) crack jokes about cancer when breaking that terrible news to a patient. But that same doctor can of course go tell jokes to his or her friends after the day is done and it's time to relax and just be social (instead of professional). That's totally normal - and it does not make that person phony. Holden, however, was not yet at that point of his life and growth. He didn't exactly have a professional attitude and a casual one to deal with. As far as he was concerned, different situations required basically the same demeanor. He liked to kid around a little bit with everybody - even people who didn't like to crack jokes. He didn't take his essay writing seriously even though he'd been punted out of several private schools AND was dealing with an instructor who really, really wanted him to take the assignments seriously. He took the same attitude when the prostitute and her pimp came by to rip him off. And he definitely had that horsing-around attitude when he was with his roommates/suitemates at the school.