xisto Community
joshua132

Project Looking Glass 3D Desktop Environment

Anybody heard of Project Looking Glass? It is a 3D Desktop environment from Sun Microsystems. It is amazing. I have tried out a few 3D environments in the past and wasn't impressed but this looks promising. It is an open-source project :) that will be available for Linux and Solaris systems. It will obviously built with Java technology. There isn't much information about the project but here is a link to the projects site. There are some screenshots and a video that is quite impressive.

Project Looking Glass

I saw it alooooong time ago. It is nothing that big but i'd like to have it. It should some out when longhorn is ready. I hope it comes standard and you dont have to pay extra for it...

Don't be so happy about it. It may look nice. It may even feel nice. But think about how it should work? Get your graphic card to do it, and you'll be pissed with seeing how the windows change bit by bit, and doing it in few seconds taking your precious time.Thow fings that worry me - one as i mentiones is the speed how it should work, because 3D calculations are really expensive for the computer. Second one is also connected with speed. Java. I have to say i really do like Java! But it has the biggest flaw of all - it is slow and hardware consuming! And connecting 3D with Java... I don't think i would have time to wait for all this to happen on my screen...

It eat all of your procesor and graphic power. I just hope this will be future, and that some day you can have real 3D desktop on screen. I like it is just for unix-likie OS.

I just read about this project in a computer magazin ... it is fantastic.I was really wondering when will the open source community release the 3D desktop. I've heard lots of things about Avalon (Windows Longhorn) and I was afraid that once released Windows Longhorn will destroy what remains of Linux.But it seems this project does a great job...still it needs more stuff like ... you have a nice 3D desktop but the wallpaper sucks big time ... now really, couldn't they get some higher resolution pictures for the wallpaper... :D

Three dimensions of Desktop might sound spiffy, but I don't even want to think of what all could go wrong or the constantly possibilities of crashing or the large memory usage. Two dimensions standard windows fare are good enough for me, say what you will.