xisto Community
megabytemb

Laptop Purchase Advice need some help here, please

i need to get a new laptop but i have no idea which one to get my parents said that they would pay for it no mateer the price, but i would like one with EVERYTHING so do u have any suggestions

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit title to correctly identify the Topic and/or correct spelling

Well, if money is no object then Alienware are probably a good bet. They have laptops ranging from Ł500 to Ł2000 (US$1,000 to US$4,000) and the top-of-the-range ones can do pretty much anything you want them to.

Sony laptops are also pretty good, but you do pay a bit extra for the Sony name. The AR Series seem to have some of the best specifications, but I haven't had a really good look around.

Hmm... if you wan't a great computer, Alienware is the best to go. I have an Alienware notebook, the Aurora mALX, and it is simply amazing. If you want to check out the Aurora mALX, the link is:

http://www.alienware.com/main.aspx

Alienware is also really cool because you can customise a lot of aspects in the notebooks they make. If you don't want Alienware though, HP (Hewlett Packard) also has a lot of great notebooks at a wide price range.

Wow. Why does everyone throw up Alienware? Or do we not have any other choices?Sure, they say that money is no object, but that doesn't mean that you should completely take advantage of that offer and pay a few hundred dollars more JUST for the AlienWare name when there may be cheaper alternatives that perform at the same par.I have no personal experience with Alienware. I only know of one person personally that owned an Alienware laptop... and some of the hardware failed on it miserably. He currently does not have a functioning CD/DVD drive.Of course, don't let that sway you away from Alienware. There are far worst cases with different companies.Do some shopping. Go to HP, Dell, Gateway, iBuyPower, CyberPower, etc. Build systems and see how you like the results.Think about what you want to get. Think about what you're going to use the laptop for. In this case, you're probably going to want a machine that's capable of the best gaming possible... which means that you may want to invest in a laptop with an AMD processor. Or you could utilize the laptop to encode and decode multimedia for your media projects... which then an Intel processor would win your bet.Since money is no object, try to snag 4GB of RAM. Throw in the most expensive video card option that is allowed to you. Add a good sound card. Try for the largest screen size possible. Or, if you're looking for portability, the smallest form factor. Think of accessories, add-ons, peripherals.Build multiple designs using different brands, manufacturers, and distributors. Then compare and pick out the most powerful machine. Think about the reputability of the company and do your homework. Put up the product against peer-review. Read extensive and professional articles on that machine, and see if you can see a trend towards or away from that brand.There are a ton of things that a lot of people miss out on doing when shopping for a computer, or anything, rather. You need to know what you're getting, why you're getting it, if it will do what you want it to do, and if it will keep you happy. And of course, you need to see if you're getting the best bang for your buck, but since mommy and daddy are forking over the money, this doesn't apply.

Yeah I would stay away from Alienware unless your parents want to pay those price tags for just a basic computer that you can get about $2000 cheaper from somewhere else. On top of that building a laptop from scratch is a bit harder then one might suspect, since you will be working in a tight space when trying to connect everything. I would check out newegg's laptop section, that way you can compare prices, and set ups and also read reviews of what people think about these laptops. However, to get everything you would need to buy 2 laptops that have Intel and AMD hardware, so I would stick with being practical in your purchase and get what is needed and not what you can stick in a laptop.

I've been using the IBM thinpad series for a long time and would recommed it you. They are robust, sturdy and reliable. Their customer support is very good and being a long time user of it, I didn't find any problems in it.You didn't really mention whats your budget and what type of machine you want. Is it a high end machine or is it a business use laptop. You want gamer peformance or you want normal performance at a nominal price.

Well building your own laptop steps up the whole process a notch.I recommend getting perhaps an ACER or HP - Their latest models are quite cheap compared to AlienWare and stable and powerful aswell.I know people aren't very fond of AlienWare's insane prices, but you DO get what you pay for. A friend of mine has one, he chose one of the cheapest models they sold, it still is better than my stationary and has an insane processor force.Of course all this is "choseable" in AlienWare's store. So my advise:Get HP / Acer - Or go for the big daddy's AlienWare lol.