xisto Community
megabytemb

30000 Terabyte Hard Drive

hey i read in some windows xp magazine that scientists over in America made a 30000 terabyte hard drive by using nano technology and adding believe it or not, water to the hard drive.how sick would it be to have a hdd that BIG

And how quickly will this thing fail? From what I hear from friend with experience on bigger harddrives, the bigger, the faster they fail.I think 30000TB's is a little overkill...Nice little price tag on that one though.

but still insignificant to the amount of storage rapidshare has, but how big is it? the size of a house? the size of a mouse? this may seem large now, soon we'll begin to see 2.5" disks at a capacity of mmm lets see, x decabytes?

I think that the size of hardrives will increase so much that people will just stop talking about them, because they are so big you will never run out of space, so there will be no need to talk about them. Who honestly needs a 30000 tereabyte hardrive? You would a fast computer to go with it, because it would take ages for all the files to load. And you would spend hours searching through your files, because you wouldnt need to delete anything.

Wow 30000 TB...... Wonder what I would have to put in there to fill it up. Honestly I do not have that much information that I would ever get tempted to buy that.Besides like csp4.0 has mentioned wonder how big is it going to be? But honestly 30000 TB is not gonna be an attraction for the common man. Maybe places that need to have a lot of records can use it. Is it vulnerable? Kubi has a good point there.All these points will be thought over before it is sold I guess

Wow, you could totally store 5% of the internet on that harddrive! Haha,

:XD:
you couldn't store even 0.0005% of the internet on that harddrive... even only RapidShare .. just think of YouTube servers how they are..

I know, like you guys said, that it would be real gr8 to have a HDD of that capacity. But, just think of this, after packing every damn information and file you can ever think of in there and once upon a time.....BOOOOOOM..... it crashes. Now taht aint gonna sound funny to anyone at all. Anyways, no one prays for that though.It sure would be real great but I kinda dont really believe that. How can you put water in a HDD? or is the water meant to be some sort of cooling system for the HDD?that will be real kool though and hard to maintain (so I think).

It sure would be real great but I kinda dont really believe that. How can you put water in a HDD? or is the water meant to be some sort of cooling system for the HDD?

I don't think it was made out of conventional hard drive materials. This is probably some bionic contraption, like the DNA computer, something of that sort.

I believe that is 30 PB? Which is a PetaByte, as according to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petabyte

Now 30PB could come in some serious handiness. Im sure if you had a 30PB hard drive... alot of companies would sponse you a Gigabit connection to allow them to use your harddrive as a server (database). With that, they would store their data (rapidshare has 2.4PB which isnt all used) and you would also have a nice connection provided it wasn't maxed out all the time. If you was, I'm sure you could limit the connectivity and save 10mbit (1,000kb/s download) to yourself.

Im quite the thinker... thats my little scheme. You would receieve from 10mbit connection no matter what... and possibly faster depending on how much you would want to borrow and conserve. More importantly, out of the 30PB you could allocate a certain amount for yourself.. lets say 1/100th of a Pb (10TB) which is still plenty.

hey i read in some windows xp magazine that scientists over in America made a 30000 terabyte hard drive by using nano technology and adding believe it or not, water to the hard drive.how sick would it be to have a hdd that BIG

It's hard to believe... where did you read that? It think I'm going to start to save some money to buy the next iPod with 30000 TB oh harddisk capacity :XD: How many mp3's!!!!

I thought I get my two cents in since google nor yahoo pulled up a search result for this yet, it would seem to be at this time all fluff at this moment since the author failed to mention the name magazine or scan the article to read more into it. Now as for server hard drive space the most I have seen at any given time or heard about is running in the 500Gb - 3 TB per hard drive per rack, and depending on the size of the server rack (ball park figured) anywhere from 10-30Tb per rack. Of course with that being said I have to start looking at server technology just to get basics down for that.Now with that being said and of course the price tag which is unknown ($10K-$20+), I would say this would have to be the very impractical for any home user and be primarily used to replace old server technology. Even then who is going to risk spending the cash for something that if damaged the right way would have to be trashed completely? However, dre would have to be correct and that this hard drive is something completely new set up (add about another $35K-$30K to it), in a which that the hard drive would #1 always be cool, #2 have the best security protocols on earth, and #3 be very hard to damage. To finish up though we need more information fro mthat article to get a better idea what this 30K TB hard drive is all about