xisto Community
Mermaid711

The Us Education System Needs Improving.

Well, in two days we have to go back to school. In Texas we have what is called TAKS Testing. Well, all we do is spend all year preparing for these tests. It does nothing for anybody accept for the avarage kids. How ever, if you are an all AP student, above the class, over involved student like me, it wastes your time.But anyways, just thought I might through that in there.Have you noticed China is starting to catch up with the US? And do you know why? Their educational system is wayyy different than ours. They pull all of the smart , genius, overly intellegent kids out and send them to a school or university. Then, the not-so-smart kids are sent to do a trade. Now I think everybody should recieve an education, but We should also try to emulate their education system.In texas (Yes more texas stories :XD:) they have passed a law that requires all high school students to recieve four years of math and four years of science. But it shouldn't be that way. Okay honestly. How many kids out of a class of 350 kids are going to be nuclear physists? My point exactly. I planned on taking four years so I could get some college credit down, but the kids who probably won't even go to college are just sapping tax money and wasting space and time. Send them to do a trade.Our school used to be a magnet school. They offered more electives. But now we don't have a very big choice of electives. All of the rooms at the high school are being wasted with stuff that isn't needed.Who here agrees with me?

Well as a Texan and as a DISD Senior (Glass of 08' go COUGARS!!!) I feel your pain because I realize what the system is doing to the disadvantaged folks. While there are Advanced Placement Classes, TAG, and Magnet Programs for the academically excelling students, the ones having trouble are left behind to the point where they have to be in a sheltered class when they should be preparing for SAT.Local, State, and Federal Education system is at fault here because of the "Rich become Richer while the Poor become poorer" effect.Think about this, the "No Child Left Behind Act" awards Education Grants for Schools and Districts that preform to the Federal Expectation, while if you don't meet the requirement you won't get as much grant as the school would need.My High School BA, has been an academically Low preforming schools for a while now and we just got out of it, but prior to that, due to the low TAKS test Exit Level exam scores, we were penalized by budget cuts, I mean for crying out loud we still use the same frickin' book back when the USSR still existed!While my school rots in the mess the federal government caused us, TEA finds it amusing to cut back on funds after school tutoring and activities funding which is funneled down and distributed to local districts, at which time the money transfer is severed so teachers can have the big fat paycheck while driving the jaguar to the school parking lot while the dude sitting next to me looks at me in silent intensity so I could save him from the torment the teachers have put him through by not teaching him the basics, so what do I do? I let him copy me, can you blame me though?-Pissed off Bryan Adams Class of 08' Senior-

Edited by birudagmawi (see edit history)

Well, in two days we have to go back to school. In Texas we have what is called TAKS Testing. Well, all we do is spend all year preparing for these tests. It does nothing for anybody accept for the avarage kids. How ever, if you are an all AP student, above the class, over involved student like me, it wastes your time.

And it doesn't waste their time as well? I think it's fair if both of your times are wasted. :XD: But is it really just a waste of time for you guys? Or is it good practice and gives you something to boast about? (Not to say that it would be okay to boast about it in front of those who didn't pass it.)

[1]Have you noticed China is starting to catch up with the US? [2]And do you know why? [3]Their educational system is wayyy different than ours. [4]They pull all of the smart , genius, overly intellegent kids out and send them to a school or university. [5]Then, the not-so-smart kids are sent to do a trade.

[1]No, i haven't. [2]Why's that? [3]I'm not surprised. [4]I thought they were already in school, so it must be a University. :) [5]Isn't experience the better teacher? [4][5]But is this really so? That is, is this really the reason why things are better over in China? If a trade is as low as you're implying, then that must mean that a lot are being placed in Universities and few are being placed in trades.

In texas (Yes more texas stories :D) they have passed a law that requires all high school students to recieve four years of math and four years of science. But it shouldn't be that way. Okay honestly. How many kids out of a class of 350 kids are going to be nuclear physists? My point exactly.

I don't believe your point would stand. Regardless of whether or not they're going to put all of that information to use, a school is a place to learn. It's like saying for History, "How many kids will become a historian? My point exactly." I could go on...

I planned on taking four years so I could get some college credit down, but [1]the kids who probably won't even go to college are just sapping tax money and wasting space and time. [2]Send them to do a trade.

[1]Wouldn't you be doing the same thing if you were planning to go to college?[2]And what are you going to do with what you have learned?

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

... so what do I do? I let him copy me, can you blame me though?

We could if he struggles later in life pertaining to what you let him copy.

I think they should have a minumum math requirementin highschool, but I think four years might be too much.Two years is more like it.Those who don't like math who only choose two years can concentrate on other things instead.Some people just have a hard time with math,no matterhow much tutoring they get.

I'm from Colombia and I finished high school there, now we are in the US and my brother is attending high school here, and in South Florida I think the education needs a 180 change, to keep all the students interested in the studies, because there are smart kids out there that no matter how bad the education is they always take the extra mile and do more work, but for the kids that doesn't like school that much is like for years of being mediocre and teacher allow that. My brother, he is not a huge fan of the studies, and this first year of high school I have seen him doing homework like twice, not even open a book the whole week, so I remember when I was in high school and it was totally different I have tons of homework and studying to do... And also that point system makes easier to pass the year being lazy... So that only encourage kids not to make any efforts but to like easy things and that's not the best thinking you can have for your personal life... And my brothers school is suppose to be a magnet, so I can't imagine how the others schools are... And well the sad part is that for regular people public schools are the only option, maybe if private schools weren't that overpriced so they could be a real second option for students we could have a better education and then probably first of all the government would put a little bit more effort into improving the school system so we can have better students and future professionals. In Colombia for example the public schools are really good the education is really good, the problem is that there aren't enough public schools for all of the kids, and public schools in Colombia are only for really poor people so the environment sometimes is not the best you can ask for, but then we have private schools that some of them are overpriced just like all of the private schools here, but you also have more affordable private schools so there's a little bit for everyone, you can find private schools that fit your pocket, so I think there should be that variation on prices here also and that would help improve the quality of the students in the states...

I for one am against, the ways some people mock education here in the US. Even though it has its faults, unlike any other country, you can actually find sustenance and get a job and a career. You have a chance with your education here. In other countries, you have to be beyond a genius to get a job, and usually the best education is found in a private school. I do agree though that the US standard is low, because other countries have raised the bar, because their standard was lower. In the US you need to hold all these kids and get them through a standardized education, in other countries, like China and India, half the population doesn't go to school. Almost all trade workers are illiterate. You need to take into account the level they need to provide. The other countries have a selection process, and try to get the best of the best. In America, its different. The standardized test help to measure a level of knowledge, unlike other places, our teachers need something to provide a front. Teachers need some sort of goal they need to reach, and the best teachers are ones that can teach without receiving a goal, like getting half the class to get a 85+ on an test or final. We teach towards that final, but other schools teach towards their knowledge.

Well My Girlfriend is from The Philippines, There an Education is very important. Schools are 6 days a week. also shorter vacation times too. Her Brother has studied in Japan however, where there Highschools are like our 1st year of college here in the USA.

Every education system globally gets outdated within a span of 5 years related to science and technology. Other systems that relate to basic education may not even change in 20 years.Any education system must thrive on the knowledge that comes and adds up to the already existing plethora.US education system may be one but that of the developing countries and the underdeveloped countries, the education system does not change even in 30 years for subjects that relate to technology. The reason given are lack of information and funds.United Nations has done a lot to establish good and fair knowledge among the developing and underdeveloped countries, by providing books and training to teachers.Schools and colleges are provided with funds to carry out tasks that boosts knowledge.

Good point but its irrelevantThe Us Education System Needs Improving.

You have a good point about the availability of jobs here in the U.S. But it really has nothing to do with the education. People are not really getting more jobs here as compared to other countries because of the education system but rather there are way more jobs available here. You could have a master degree in business in china but have a tough time finding work because the economy sucks and are almost no jobs available. The education systems are way more advanced and more strict in other countries just ask anyone who has studied abroad before.

-reply by Marcello Nieto

I think that four year math in high school is important. I guess it's not related to nuclear and space rocket technology, but it is related to intelligence development. Students who have a higher degree of math exams seems to get a higher IQ. So math is important to improve your intellectual degree. So in easy terms you get more smart while studying math. Than even trading needs lots of skills. It's not easy to be a trader though it seems so.