xisto Community
satyaparija

How To Get A Joomla Site With All For Free How to make a good looking website with all features

If you r looking for building a website with all features,u may call it portals..then best way is to use a CMS(content management system). Joomla is one of the best open source CMS available.So,u got a script free and its all features for free. It is one of the most widely used CMS,so support is quite good. If u do not know any programming language,then also u can make a great looking website using free themes available on net.I ve made a website using Joomla . http://www.nitkcampustalk.co.nr/

First do a google n wikipedia on Joomla.If you want to give a try .. go to http://freejoomlas.com/

Anyway you ll need Xisto,if you want a website without paying much.. So do not forget Xisto.comI am ready to share anything i know about building a site .So experts and beginners are invited to drop their experience and queries here.STOP WORRYING; START LIVING

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I think http://freejoomlas.com/

is a rip-off. They have ads and horrible forums on your site. If you're looking for a free joomla use Xisto or some ad free layered panel site.

You ve got a point. But I ve been using their service since 3 months.They ve not put any banner or ads on my site.Basically,it is is totally free and you can start right away.Server is doing fine for me till now.May be in future,they ll put banner. But my point is if u want /test a Joomla site straight away without any cost and commitment ,they are best.You ll become well experienced with Joomla administration panel.and your site ll be up overnight. NOT BAD. Anyway,you ve limited freedom in choosing templates.So,I m here at Xisto.

tbh i dont like joomla, just because i dont like its content or its layout on its website (yes im literally that picky). If its layout sucks, no point in looking at it right? well thats exactly what i think about joomla, or at least when i last loked at it.

tbh i dont like joomla, just because i dont like its content or its layout on its website (yes im literally that picky). If its layout sucks, no point in looking at it right? well thats exactly what i think about joomla, or at least when i last loked at it.

Every CMS has its own advantage and disadvantages.But Joomla gives you a lot of flexibillity especially you plan to make a portal site with a lot of features.There are a lot of templates out there to make its look out of the box.And also do not forget about the add-ons avilable for Joomla.It is best for portal site to say the least.
But if your site is to serve something specific like blog ,forum then Joomla may not be the best.

If you do not like Joomla, do not forget to post the CMS you use.It ll be helpful for a lot of people.

I would insist that one should use XOOPS. This is not because I am a XOOPS user. But it is because I have tried all available CMS opitions and XOOPS is best of all.It's really easy and flexible. There are also so many modules available to use with xoops. Even PHPBB is also available as a module. ANy Ways I think That XOOPS Rocks!

If you want to give a try .. go to http://freejoomlas.com/

If you are talking about one of those sites that hosts your PHP script and doesn't give you much access, I recommend you use an actual web host instead. A few years ago, I ran a clan with my cousin, and we decided to use a service called Invision Free (they hosted modified copies of 1.3 Final). Although this was fine for a clan, who had leaders that knew nothing about forum software at the time, it is not fine for someone who really wants to customize their board. Invision Free did not give out FTP access and blocked many areas that allowed the board to have a lot of customizations. The only thing they allowed was one CSS stylesheet. There was no FTP access, so it was impossible to add features to the board other than a CSS, HTML, or Javascript customization (and even these were limiting). After that experience, I would not recommend you use one of those sites that host a script for you and give nothing else (it sounds like this freejoomlas does that). They really limit the way you customize your site.
Also, I went to this freejoomla site, and it did not look very professional. I always compare a web host's website to their service. If they don't care about working on their website, they don't care about working on their servers to keep your website online.
Edited by tigercat (see edit history)

If you are talking about one of those sites that hosts your PHP script and doesn't give you much access, I recommend you use an actual web host instead. A few years ago, I ran a clan with my cousin, and we decided to use a service called Invision Free (they hosted modified copies of 1.3 Final). Although this was fine for a clan, who had leaders that knew nothing about forum software at the time, it is not fine for someone who really wants to customize their board. Invision Free did not give out FTP access and blocked many areas that allowed the board to have a lot of customizations. The only thing they allowed was one CSS stylesheet. There was no FTP access, so it was impossible to add features to the board other than a CSS, HTML, or Javascript customization (and even these were limiting). After that experience, I would not recommend you use one of those sites that host a script for you and give nothing else (it sounds like this freejoomlas does that). They really limit the way you customize your site.
Also, I went to this freejoomla site, and it did not look very professional. I always compare a web host's website to their service. If they don't care about working on their website, they don't care about working on their servers to keep your website online.

Hey..I know their home page is not that professional....But they have been giving best since 5 months and it loads pretty fast.
My point is just that if you want to take the feel the power of Joomla.Of course, if you can get a web account and know how to install Joomla...then forget it. they are the best I ve come across..

hey satyapriya i completely agree with u , i am a mechanical engineer by profession , but since i landed up in sofware i got exposed to CMS, joomla is by far the best CMS i have come across, i too was planning to open a forum for my coll , but site like orkut it hard to grap people to your forum, i gave up , but i would like to learn how to bridge joomla with phpbb, i dont understand anything about php , or sql , tats why i thought of using joomla, if u are interested we can work on , why jus NIT , WHO NOT THE whole campus of india?think abt it . .tak care .

Edited by mabhishekjhawar (see edit history)

Joomla is probably the best open-source CMS out there. With just a little bit of experience, you can build an easy to navigate site, complete with forums, a photo gallery and whatever else you could think of. For developers (which I'm not), you are given a powerful framework to build your applications on. If you have never used a CMS before, or are thinking about trying another one, give Joomla a shot, and you'll see the difference.

juz got my site and installed joomla, I must say that joomla is definitely a feature-packed CMS but in terms of customising for your own use, newcomers might find themselves lost (myself included). you have to figure out where and what each module does in the template before you can actually start to customise. will continue to explore joomla to do my own site.

juz got my site and installed joomla, I must say that joomla is definitely a feature-packed CMS but in terms of customising for your own use, newcomers might find themselves lost (myself included). you have to figure out where and what each module does in the template before you can actually start to customise. will continue to explore joomla to do my own site.

very true , i agree with you , i have lotta prob , now paying aroung with joomla , i have trouble installing addons , some of them dont get installed also. since my site had to be only about posting new topics on mobile and trends in technologoy , i moved from joomla to wordpress.
http://www.mobilereviews.co.nr/

:P

tried joomla via localhost and its good....no need to hard code from scratch , but just edit it and managed..joomla and mambo are few to mention to be a good cms

I think Joomla is among the best CMS's for expansion and options, But reason many complain is perhaps because it IS A BIT HARD TO UNDERSTAND AT TIMES?Don't get me wrong - I'm not calling people stupid for not understanding all the cool features, or "how" it all works. But don't blame Joomla, try something easier.Tons of other open-source one's too, like e107 etc. Try them if you disliked Joomla. :)

wow~joomla is such a famous cms.I am planning to build my own website.although I am just a beginner webmaster, I am interested in this.I heard of many cms's, and it is said by many ppl that joomla is a very excellent one.so I have decided after I get my Xisto hosting here, I will learn how to use joomla.wish me goodluck! :P