xisto Community
JSonicC

Xp Dual Boot

When adding in my old 40gig HD i had a lot of trouble formating it, due to the fact it had been partitioned. So i used my XP boot cd to reformat it, Somehow it added a boot option saying there was a OS on the hd. When booting up my pc i would get 2 option and would have to select the second one. I found out how to swap them so mine is the top option (Meaning i dont have to be here to change option when pc loads) but i want to know how to remove the second option. Any help would be greatly aprciated :D

in the root of the C: drive you should find a file called boot.ini, open it with notepad.

it should have the variable 'default' set to something, like

[br]default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[/br]

in this case partition(1) is the one

under the [operating systems] section there will be two lines in your case, remove the line that is NOT the default.

Alternatively, a safer approach, change the value of timeout to 0

both should work, the first one may accidentally erase the default OS choice rendering your actual OS unbootable.

1. If there is any data on the 40GB drive you need then back it up.2. Delete all of the data on the 40GB drive.3. Go to Start->Run, type "msconfig", press Enter (or click OK)4. Click the "BOOT.INI" tab5. Click the "Check all boot paths" button6. It should tell you that the path to Windowx XP on the 40GB drive is invalid. It will ask if you want to remove it. Click "Yes"7. Restart the system and make sure it works.Tell me how it goes. Hope this helps.

the better way that u should check your boot.ini opened with notepad like the saying of alperuzi.if the method above are all failed you supposed to use the boot cd and select the recover.through the recover control panel,u can type help to acknowledge the command.good luck!