xisto Community
XDelivery

Stability Is Beginning To Become A Severe Issue. On Alpha :(

OK....I've been with Xisto - Web Hosting, for darn near forever. I've recommended, and, still do, Xisto - Web Hosting to almost everyone I know. Stability used to be so good, but, over the last few months, it's beginning to become completely unusable.My sites have been down for more than 30 mins, almost 55 times this month now. Often, I'll SSH in, to make a small change via MySQL or whatnot (which, I ordinarily would have done via phpmyadmin.... :XD: ), only to not be able to do that EITHER, as the system load's at 15-20!I know, this is going on, because I have Nagios, both at home, and, work, monitoring my sites, AND, I use ServiceUptime, which watches from several places in the US, and, abroad.I see, that it's not just me, by looking here. As I type this, I can't even get https://xisto.com/ to come up.Is this situation something we'll see clear up soon? If so, when?Will buying a VPS alleviate the situation? What will keep the 'problem customers' off of THOSE servers, too?

Hi XDelivery,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your opinions with us.

My sites have been down for more than 30 mins, almost 55 times this month now. Often, I'll SSH in, to make a small change via MySQL or whatnot (which, I ordinarily would have done via phpmyadmin.... sad.gif ), only to not be able to do that EITHER, as the system load's at 15-20!

I would had appreciated if you had sent a support Ticket and brought this issue to our notice long time back.

The system load being 15-20 (in the past - we did have a spammer on ALPHA) is perfectly understood and that issue was taken care of.

We also had one more site on ALPHA who got Digged (where lots of users jump through Digg.com) and this again had to be handled on priority. Services were restarted frequently and major IP bans had to be done.

I see, that it's not just me, by looking here. As I type this, I can't even get https://xisto.com/ to come up.

This has to be some other issue then. Because https://xisto.com/ is not on ALPHA server (where you are hosted) and Its Internet Connection is connected to an altogether different network at another DC. Because Xisto - Web Hosting.com Server (called "shree") will be converted to a DNS server and we are planning to increase the stability of our DNS even more.

Is this situation something we'll see clear up soon? If so, when?

I won't hide anything. I received Support tickets from more than 3 clients on ALPHA and we transfered them to server ETA. Send a ticket and I will get your site moved.

You have been one of our oldest customers and you know since then ALPHA server was never touched. We never dispatched any mails regarding alpha upgrade or whatsoever. Alpha server has our DNS at present and any messing up w/ it can bring down our entire network. Because of which, We have been reluctant to do hardware upgrades to that server.

Will buying a VPS alleviate the situation? What will keep the 'problem customers' off of THOSE servers, too?

VPS is anytime more advanced than shared hosting. However, I recommend you to please send a ticket first and give us a try for another month :-)

If you still feel you need a an expensive VPS account, you can go ahead and I will be more than happy to assist you with the shift :-)

Thank you for your continued support and co-operation.

-Shree

Back then, When you had joined, we neither had :-- 24/7 chat support.- Nor a dedicated Ticket System.- No Reseller hosting support- Not even a Billing system :-)Today we have come a long way and trust me, we have never look back since then. Our Uptime can be checked on other sites. For year 2007, its more than 99.99% :-)

Now what am I hearing in here? I hope everything you said are not true.

My sites have been down for more than 30 mins, almost 55 times this month now. Often, I'll SSH in, to make a small change via MySQL or whatnot (which, I ordinarily would have done via phpmyadmin.... sad.gif ), only to not be able to do that EITHER, as the system load's at 15-20!

There is this tourism promotion company we are about to start here and I, as the new Director for Information Technology for the company has recommended Xisto - Web Hosting to my colleagues. I have given them as run down of all the services, scripts and everything being offered by Xisto - Web Hosting. I have actually suceeded in building up faith in Xisto - Web Hosting n their part...and now this.

I honestly hope that everything has beeen rectified 'cos it is going to be a huge degrading for me if my colleagues start thinking that I have recommended a bad webhost for the new company.

Back then, When you had joined, we neither had :-
- 24/7 chat support.
- Nor a dedicated Ticket System.
- No Reseller hosting support
- Not even a Billing system :-)

Today we have come a long way and trust me, we have never look back since then. Our Uptime can be checked on other sites. For year 2007, its more than 99.99% :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cancelling anytime soon.

You guys have ALWAYS been there for me. And, AFAIK, support was 24/7, I always got an answer to any questions w/in 30 mins or so.

And, thanks, for getting a reseller system, prolly because of my nagging :XD: (even tho I never used it!)

Xisto - Web Hosting has always been awesome, for me, I was just getting a little bit frustrated....

Hi XDelivery,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your opinions with us.

I would had appreciated if you had sent a support Ticket and brought this issue to our notice long time back.

The system load being 15-20 (in the past - we did have a spammer on ALPHA) is perfectly understood and that issue was taken care of.

We also had one more site on ALPHA who got Digged (where lots of users jump through Digg.com) and this again had to be handled on priority. Services were restarted frequently and major IP bans had to be done.

This has to be some other issue then. Because https://xisto.com/ is not on ALPHA server (where you are hosted) and Its Internet Connection is connected to an altogether different network at another DC. Because Xisto - Web Hosting.com Server (called "shree") will be converted to a DNS server and we are planning to increase the stability of our DNS even more.

I won't hide anything. I received Support tickets from more than 3 clients on ALPHA and we transfered them to server ETA. Send a ticket and I will get your site moved.

You have been one of our oldest customers and you know since then ALPHA server was never touched. We never dispatched any mails regarding alpha upgrade or whatsoever. Alpha server has our DNS at present and any messing up w/ it can bring down our entire network. Because of which, We have been reluctant to do hardware upgrades to that server.

VPS is anytime more advanced than shared hosting. However, I recommend you to please send a ticket first and give us a try for another month :-)

If you still feel you need a an expensive VPS account, you can go ahead and I will be more than happy to assist you with the shift :-)

Thank you for your continued support and co-operation.

-Shree

Thanks, for the quick and courteous reply, first off! And, for your honesty. That means a lot to me.

I didn't send a ticket, regarding recent stability problems. There's a lot of reasons for that. I've got a lot of scripts that I wrote, that are tied to IP addresses, or, to specific directories. I figured that the solution would be to move me, and, I really don't want to have to deal with that... (You know, I've been here forever... I used to be a REALLY lazy coder :XD: ) I've also got third-party DNS on some of my sites, and, that would mean getting other people to change things, which, is annoying, at best, and, embarrassing, at least. If I'm going to move somewhere, it's probably going to be to a VPS.

RE: System load. When I made that post, the load on alpha was at 16.77. It stayed there, for about 7 mins. Honestly, this kinda thing, sadly isn't really that uncommon these days, on Alpha.

I know, btw, that https://xisto.com/ isn't hosted on alpha. Odd as it must seem, I haven't been able to access that website, for almost a week. I've no idea why, but, it's just not working for me. I tried just now, and, still, I can't get to it. I can via anonymouse.org, so, I assume it's a problem somewhere on my end.

BTW, this isn't common for Xisto - Web Hosting. I've been here for years, and, this is the first real problem I've seen of this nature. They've always been rock-solid for me. I just piped up, as I was getting frustrated. I'm not sure, but, I don't think CH is even putting new users on Alpha, so, if you're getting a new account, this probably doesn't even apply to you.... One severe issue in 3-4 years, really, isn't bad. As a former/pseudo-present hosting provider, I know, these things happen. I'm just a bit frustrated, is all.

Thanks, for your patience regarding this matter, and, most of all, the years of stability I've enjoyed!

Now what am I hearing in here? I hope everything you said are not true.There is this tourism promotion company we are about to start here and I, as the new Director for Information Technology for the company has recommended Xisto - Web Hosting to my colleagues. I have given them as run down of all the services, scripts and everything being offered by Xisto - Web Hosting. I have actually suceeded in building up faith in Xisto - Web Hosting n their part...and now this.

I honestly hope that everything has beeen rectified 'cos it is going to be a huge degrading for me if my colleagues start thinking that I have recommended a bad webhost for the new company.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This is just a bump in the road, for CH. Out of the 3 or so years I've been here, this has been the first major problem, and, I believe it'll be cleared up, in short order, in fact, since I posted that message, it's already gotten much better.

However, my last major disruption was on 8/23/07 b/t 9:56pm and 10:25pm (both EST), reported by both Nagios machines and ServiceUptime, although, both Nagios servers reported it as from 9:57 and 10:12.

I would still recommend CH as a GREAT webhost. Everyone runs into problems, and, in the shared hosting world, abusive clients is a huge one. I'm sure, that this will get cleared up, in CH fashion, in record time.

I can shed some light on your inability to view Xisto - Web Hosting.com's site.

Please send your IP with subject "Inability to view Xisto - Web Hosting" along with your IP address to support{at}Xisto - Web Hosting[dot]com and mention the possibility of your IP address in the block list.

This isn't to justify that you have been banned, but some activities such as too many failed connection attempts or repeated improper connections may have triggered auto protection of your account and the server.

The rest is being worked on by OpaQue and his Xisto - Web Hosting support team. We appreciate your patience.

Hello Xdelivery,We are planning to shift selected clients from ALPHA to our new server ETA. If you want to shift then please send me a support ticket at sales[@]Xisto - Web Hosting[.]com and I will help you with the rest of the procedure.I will be shifting your billing record to the new billing system as it is more efficient and user friendly :XD:Velma