xisto Community
birudagmawi

Telemarketing Calls, How Do You Stop Them!?!

There have always been, ever since I can remember telemarketing calls. They always call looking to solicit crap that no one would ever buy in their right mind. Even after repeated calls to cease and desist, they never listen. My question is, is their some type of hot line where I could call to add my home phone to a do not call list? :XD: And what do you do to combat against telemarketers, and their pre recorded calls....

Edited by birudagmawi (see edit history)

I have always been, ever since I can remember telemarketing calls. They always call looking to solicit crap that no one would ever buy in their right mind. Even after repeated calls to cease and desist, they never listen. My qquestion is, is their some type of hot line where I could call to add my home phone to a do not call list? :XD:
And why do you do to combat against telemarketers, and their pre recorded calls....

There is a list you can add your name to that keeps most telemarketers from calling. Click here. Effective for five years. :)

There are also numerous humorous things that people have done to telemarketers just to get back at them. I'm sure a lot of comedians have exploited many a telemarketer for a few laughs.

But of course, you can just hang up, or even screen your calls using your answering machine. I'm not sure what else you could do aside from adding yourself to the "Don't Call" list or just hanging up.

Wow, I didn't think there was really anything I could do about the calls on my cell phone. Thanks for the link, this will surely help tons of people combat spam that hits you in the ears rather than the eyes.

What? They're sending out Spam in Cell Phones now? The Government should step in and do something about this problem before it spirals out of control, maybe a hefty fine for each and every one a telemarketing firm calls would do it. If Only.

There is a list you can add your name to that keeps most telemarketers from calling. Click here. Effective for five years. :XD:

Despite its slight effectiveness, there are easy loopholes that they can exploit to continue to irritate you about products or services. In particular I get annoyed by the Lupus Foundation and a loan company every other day because charities and people you've done business with before can still solicit you. Luckily I see them on caller ID, and just turn the phone on and off in rapid succession.

There are also numerous humorous things that people have done to telemarketers just to get back at them. I'm sure a lot of comedians have exploited many a telemarketer for a few laughs.

Tom Mabe in particular likes to mess with them. However there are ways that telemarketers have been exploited by people not for show. For example my father will answer the phone, and if it's a telemarketer he will set the phone down on the table, and watch football or eat dinner while the telemarketer is stuck on the line (they aren't allowed to hang up, especially if they're soliciting for something that isn't charitiable) wondering what happened to their customer. An hour or two later he comes back to the phone and says "If you want to waste my time, I'll waste yours.", then hangs up on them.

But of course, you can just hang up, or even screen your calls using your answering machine. I'm not sure what else you could do aside from adding yourself to the "Don't Call" list or just hanging up.

I do reccomend using the "Do not call" list in addition to the rapid hanging up method for telemarketing calls. When they start to realize their potential customer isn't interested at all at their service. That two hour method really rings up your phone bill if you aren't a privliged customer like he is (he gets 200 hours free per month IIRC because he's consistently on the phone being an advertiser selling ads to local businesses and inserting them into displays in local markets and sports venues.).

Or you could pretend you have a politically incorrect Tourettes Syndrome.

The Government should step in and do something about this problem before it spirals out of control, maybe a hefty fine for each and every one a telemarketing firm calls would do it. If Only.

Actually, in Missouri, the government has done something about it. You can sign up for the governer's No Call list. If you get a call, you can simply tell them you are on the Gov. No Call list, and boy do they hang up fast. I think the state has collected something in excess of a million dollars in fines from telemarketing companies.

Actually, in Missouri, the government has done something about it. You can sign up for the governer's No Call list. If you get a call, you can simply tell them you are on the Gov. No Call list, and boy do they hang up fast. I think the state has collected something in excess of a million dollars in fines from telemarketing companies.

Apparently the number one way to stay off of a telemarketing phone number list is to have a unlisted number. Also in Canada they have special lists that you can register to stay off of a
telemarketing list but do not think it works that great. I also remember seeing a device a long time ago that would catch the telemarketing calls and hang up on them. Problem is if there is money to be made they will do it such as the cellphone stuff which can only be stopped with legal action so they will no longer be allowed to do this. The problem is that there might be one person willing to buy something and I do not think they care that they bother another 20 or more people who are not interested till they are made to through legal channels.

There have always been, ever since I can remember telemarketing calls. They always call looking to solicit crap that no one would ever buy in their right mind. Even after repeated calls to cease and desist, they never listen. My question is, is their some type of hot line where I could call to add my home phone to a do not call list? :angry:
And what do you do to combat against telemarketers, and their pre recorded calls....

I found that the "do not call" list has gotten me more calls than before I joined it. As such, I changed my number and just deal with them in what I consider to be a fair way.

"Hello...would you be interested in XYZ ponytail extenders?" or w/e.

"Actually, I was going to ask you if you were interested in buying Cattle Prods for your office."

For those of us in the UK, you can sign up to the Telephone Preference Service. It blocks any marketing calls, surveys, political canvasing and loads of other calls you don't want. The only businesses allowed to call are those who have a good reason to - those you already do business with. Any calls you do receive, you can report to Ofcom and the company could get fined.

As for more fun tactics, I like to play repeat offenders any of my sister's music after informing them that I am busy and placing them on hold until a representative for me is available. Its worrying that most of them will patiently sit on the line for hours waiting. Sometimes they end up getting left there until I need to use the phone again :XD:

For a more 'interactive' way to annoy repeat callers, you can try this script from EGBG. Its great to turn the conversation around and start asking random questions to them.

Why would you add yourself to that list?Have some fun.Act like you're horny."I like your voice""I know you're not calling just to sell something""You know where i live, right?""I bet that your neck is just waiting for me to rub it after sitting all day long in that cramped office"Have some lame fun with them..."Would you be interested in buying a cattle prod for your office"ME: Nah, but does it work with annoying telemarketers? I bet i'll get rich after i invent something to castrate people over the phone.Have some fun. Scream at the bastards... Anything except hang up.

There have always been, ever since I can remember telemarketing calls. They always call looking to solicit crap that no one would ever buy in their right mind. Even after repeated calls to cease and desist, they never listen. My question is, is their some type of hot line where I could call to add my home phone to a do not call list? :XD:
And what do you do to combat against telemarketers, and their pre recorded calls....

When telemarketers call, I say 'Um no thanks. Could you please take me off your list?"

I mean there will still be an ocasional call, but they will not be calling quite as often. From what I know, there is no hotline to call for them to take you off their list, because diffrent telemarkets are calling for diffrent companies, and a hotline may take you off of one telemarketers list, but not every telemarketers list.

Tom Mabe in particular likes to mess with them. However there are ways that telemarketers have been exploited by people not for show. For example my father will answer the phone, and if it's a telemarketer he will set the phone down on the table, and watch football or eat dinner while the telemarketer is stuck on the line (they aren't allowed to hang up, especially if they're soliciting for something that isn't charitiable) wondering what happened to their customer. An hour or two later he comes back to the phone and says "If you want to waste my time, I'll waste yours.", then hangs up on them.

Tetraca, that has to be the most hilarious thing to do.

But I have never heard of a hotline to add your phone to a "do not call" list.

Even if there is, what if a different telemarketing company calls? That would be a drag.

Just block every single call except those from your close friends, family, your boss, your... But it would cost much work and for 1000% sure, you will miss some of them and those "some of them" call next time, they'll get blocked. According to the Parkinson's law, the worst case usually occurs... i.e. you forgot to add your boyfriend or girlfriend or boss to the list...

Edited by ktPatriot (see edit history)