xisto Community
seez

Homework- Do You Need It? I say NO

Most of the kids in America go to school for about seven hours a day. We get out of school. Then we might have an after school program. After that we might have an errand to run. We go from pretty tired, to ready-to-frop, to completely and utterly exhausted. Then we need dinner, to shower, and ....

Do that all-dreaded, hated, disgusting, thing that tortures us, makes our faces redden and beads of sweat to dribble down our scarlet, burning foreheads, makes us clench and unclench our fists and want to rip our hair out, makes us want to puke out our guts and burn and rot in Hell, that thing called...

homework.

That thing is like, no, it is, the most unfair thing of the unfair things. We work our tails off in seven hours of school, a.k.a. the TORTURE CHAMBER, push ourselves to the limit in after school, and rush to do errands sometimes even. All the while dealing with social, academic and emotional problems. And we have to shower, eat, breathe and sleep. And then we have homework.

Homework ican't be, no, it isn't, healthy. When we stumble into the doors of our houses and collapse on our couches and beds, totally and completely wiped out. And we have homework. It's frustrating, irritating and infuriating. And unfair. Sometimes it's so endless, so dreary, so perpetually-everlasting, so boring, it dulls our senses, makes us less alert, like our minds are slowly slipping away from us, our body and soul hanging on to eachother by one single, frayed thread. We must mend that thread together. But how can we if this useless, mortifying thing called homework is dumped on us more and more, choking us, suffocating us with its black cloak of misery?

I am not exaggerating.

How can we focus the next day of school after hours, endless hours, of straining to stay awake, trying our hardest to write the next sentence of our reports, fighting nausea and exhuastion as we deprive ourselves of that Heaven, that beautiful, effortless thing called sleep? Until finally we give up. We throw down our pencils, try to totter over to our beds, but can't make it, and crumple to the ground, sleeping. Just sleeping. Doing what we rightfully want, and should rightfully be able to do. And we do it.

And the next day when we have classes, we get in trouble for not having our assignments? Ridiculous. Who can blame us for being unable to think, our minds being dizzy and our brains being racked, unable to see, our vision being clouded over, red and black flashing before us, unable to do anything, because we long so much for sleep? For sleep, what our body truly needs, instead of all of this learning and being pushed so hard? Who can blame us? No one can. But yes they do.

It's the teachers.

The unfairness of it all makes my temper rise and sets my nerves on fire. Homework is unneeded. We have the right to rebel, the right to stand up and speak up, let our voices be heard, we have the right to say "NO!" "NO!" "NO!"

And that is what I say. And that is what I continue to say. And that is what I will say. I will mock homework, that stupid, uneeded thing by coldly bidding it good day. And I will say what is the right, truthful, answer to the questions of homework: "NO!"

I'm going to disagree with you. I think homework is very beneficial, and if you don't have time for it, make time. Homework is more important than your after school activities if you ask me. So far it looks like homework and school have done you good, because that was a nice piece of writing if you ask me. Homework is a dose of school away from school. They are trying to teach us as much as the can, and all of this learning is good and will help us. And if you had the time to write this, you should have time to do homework. I am one of the weirdest kids by saying this because I'm sure 99% of all other kids would disagree and say that school and homework stink, but I know it will be very important for the future.

I also got to disagree with you seez.School is one point in our life that is important, but homework only makes school easier since they let you practise what you hae learned in school and as we know by practising we only get better at things. Homework might be annoying and time eating, but look to the bright side of making it. Once you made it, you know how to make it the next time. That ability is called experience and skill and the more experience in making your homework, the faster you will be able to make it the next time. Also don't think the masterminds from today, or great inventors, liked to do their homework either. But look what happened to them, by making their homework, they received the experience and skills to do such great stuff. So imagine what great contribute you might make later, due to making your homework and getting better and better. Homework is somewhat necessary to keep this world running, and as long as we don't have any machinery or implants to grant us greater smartness, we are going to have to cope with it. Perhaps you might invent such an implant by making your homework. :XD:

No matter how much you can hate homework, you can't ignore the fact that it helps a great deal. For me, homework didn't matter much until high school, where subjects got considerably harder. Even though I didn't really like homework, I started doing it in groups with my friends, and it worked out pretty well. In the long run, I know it'll help me no matter what I believe now.

Most of the kids in America go to school for about seven hours a day. We get out of school. Then we might have an after school program. After that we might have an errand to run. We go from pretty tired, to ready-to-frop, to completely and utterly exhausted. Then we need dinner, to shower, and ....
Do that all-dreaded, hated, disgusting, thing that tortures us, makes our faces redden and beads of sweat to dribble down our scarlet, burning foreheads, makes us clench and unclench our fists and want to rip our hair out, makes us want to puke out our guts and burn and rot in Hell, that thing called...

homework.

That thing is like, no, it is, the most unfair thing of the unfair things. We work our tails off in seven hours of school, a.k.a. the TORTURE CHAMBER, push ourselves to the limit in after school, and rush to do errands sometimes even. All the while dealing with social, academic and emotional problems. And we have to shower, eat, breathe and sleep. And then we have homework.

Homework ican't be, no, it isn't, healthy. When we stumble into the doors of our houses and collapse on our couches and beds, totally and completely wiped out. And we have homework. It's frustrating, irritating and infuriating. And unfair. Sometimes it's so endless, so dreary, so perpetually-everlasting, so boring, it dulls our senses, makes us less alert, like our minds are slowly slipping away from us, our body and soul hanging on to eachother by one single, frayed thread. We must mend that thread together. But how can we if this useless, mortifying thing called homework is dumped on us more and more, choking us, suffocating us with its black cloak of misery?

I am not exaggerating.

How can we focus the next day of school after hours, endless hours, of straining to stay awake, trying our hardest to write the next sentence of our reports, fighting nausea and exhuastion as we deprive ourselves of that Heaven, that beautiful, effortless thing called sleep? Until finally we give up. We throw down our pencils, try to totter over to our beds, but can't make it, and crumple to the ground, sleeping. Just sleeping. Doing what we rightfully want, and should rightfully be able to do. And we do it.

And the next day when we have classes, we get in trouble for not having our assignments? Ridiculous. Who can blame us for being unable to think, our minds being dizzy and our brains being racked, unable to see, our vision being clouded over, red and black flashing before us, unable to do anything, because we long so much for sleep? For sleep, what our body truly needs, instead of all of this learning and being pushed so hard? Who can blame us? No one can. But yes they do.

It's the teachers.

The unfairness of it all makes my temper rise and sets my nerves on fire. Homework is unneeded. We have the right to rebel, the right to stand up and speak up, let our voices be heard, we have the right to say "NO!" "NO!" "NO!"

And that is what I say. And that is what I continue to say. And that is what I will say. I will mock homework, that stupid, uneeded thing by coldly bidding it good day. And I will say what is the right, truthful, answer to the questions of homework: "NO!"

wow that "speech" would go great wit that lensy lohen movie confesions of a teenage drama queen. anyways you are way over reacting my homework experience is never like that. while some teacher give their fare share amount of homework but they're mostly short and easy. and they are very helpfull. tip if you want to do the best in the class while not studying much always read the textbooks especialy when it's homework it realy helps.

You sure seem to be exaggerating to me. :XD: Don't get me wrong, homework is not my favorite thing to do, but there isn't enough time to get everything done in school so homework is assigned and projects so you can learn some more on your own. Homework is implied when you go to school, there are breaks and weekends and summer time that you can use for extra activities and stuff but if you work out your schedule you should have plenty of time for other activities. If they are organized activities like team sports, I think they have to understand if you don't have time one night if you have too much homework. Of course if you put everything off like I tend to do that's kind of your own fault. If the activities you talk about are hanging out with friends, you can't really blame it on the teachers that you don't have time or anything but yourself instead, for your friends can wait until the weekend or until a night when you don't have as much homework.

I believe that homework is necessary so that people can go over what we actually learned that day. Its literally what its for. Too much homework though is when it gets useless. In my opinion it would just disinterests people. After being assigned something over and over, it gets pretty boring and no one really cares anymore. To make someone learn and remember, you don't need to pound tons of homework, u just have to go over it every often or try and make it seem like one thing connects to another.I remember reading once that a study showed that countries who gave less homework had higher scores, and those who pound it on students scored less

Edited by mojoman (see edit history)

In a perfect educational system (so maybe an utopia) homework shouldn't be neccessary. If children spend let's say 6 hours in a day outside home, this should be enough to make them achieve the objectives. I mean, we work 8 hours a day and when we get home we don't need to revise what we have done in our jobs so... why should children do? I think that's a matter of the teachers and if there's not enough time then well... we all know that there are LOTS of things that we learn in school that are no use for anything, so it wouldn't be difficult to make some adjustments in school programs. Of course homework helps to get more knowledge but does it really worth it? What's the point on being X hours at school, and then leave to enter home and start doing the same but on your own. Why not then spend an extra hour at school instead?When children finish their school day, thay should play, then rest... let them live a bit while they can and don't have the responsibilities of adulthood.

What is WRONG with you people??? HOMEWORK is STUPID. "A dose of school away from school".... that's exactly what it is, and that's exactly what's so danged unfair about it! I work my tail off in school. Maybe you don't. I get 5-7 hours of homework each night. Maybe you don't. But 5-7 HOURS OF HOMEWORK??? That's ridiculous. You gotta admit... Sprnknwn is apparently the only one who sees through homework's nice, smiley mask. I wish you all did...

In a perfect educational system (so maybe an utopia) homework shouldn't be neccessary. If children spend let's say 6 hours in a day outside home, this should be enough to make them achieve the objectives. I mean, we work 8 hours a day and when we get home we don't need to revise what we have done in our jobs so... why should children do? I think that's a matter of the teachers and if there's not enough time then well... we all know that there are LOTS of things that we learn in school that are no use for anything, so it wouldn't be difficult to make some adjustments in school programs. Of course homework helps to get more knowledge but does it really worth it? What's the point on being X hours at school, and then leave to enter home and start doing the same but on your own. Why not then spend an extra hour at school instead?
When children finish their school day, thay should play, then rest... let them live a bit while they can and don't have the responsibilities of adulthood.

Exactly my thoughts. I hate homework so when I graduate, I am going to steer any from jobs that require extra work when you get home. I think maybe giving a few practice problems to remind you but not over an hour for just one class.

I don't even know why people say "homework will make you learn". No. Homework will make you frustrated. It doesn't help you learn. If we wanted to learn we'd just head right back to our classes again. And then theres another thing people say. "Homework helps you study". No. The teacher's help will give us study. All homework is, is a packet/piece of paper/book where we just answer stupid questions that we already knew since the 2nd grade. Its terrible. I agree.

When I look back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder I can thing at all. Although my lack of education hasn't hurt me, I can read the writing on the wall

I have to agree with you, I think homework is unfair, unneeded, and for the most part, redundent and a waste of time. There are always some exceptions, special projects that cannot be conducted in school that teach life's lessons, but for the most part, school should be over when the last bell rings.

One reason is, I don't think the education system is all it's cracked up to be. They don't teach you a lot of things that you will need and can use when you get out of school. The government wants to teach you what they want you to know. They want it pounded into your head. The more time you spend learning what they want, the less time you have to think and learn for yourself.

Then there is the family. While so many kids come from dysfunctional homes, there is no better learning experience than you can get from growing up in a family with caring, responsible parents. It should not be left in the hands of the government to teach you responsibility, morals, attitude, right from wrong, etc. You aren't going to get that from a book anyway, it should be taught by example. Kids are lucky if they are given the oppertunity to learn from their parents, if the parents have a family business, the kids can learn many important, first hand leassons that they are never going to get in school.

A friend of mine did a debate topic on this. The most important topic that he raised, I think, is that in many cases its not fair because children have different amounts of resources. Some parents can help their kids while others are busy working, some kids have been taking the class longer than others or are new to the school, some kids have to help around the house... My friend said that it would be better to have an hour after school reserved for "out-of-classroom work" where kids could reinforce what they had learned. Then they would also have a more positive outlook on getting home: they don't have to be bummed out by any amount of homework they have to do.Projects, however, I think they should keep. Even though there is an imbalance of resources, sometimes life isn't fair. If it's way too unfair, kids will have to talk to their teachers and ask for more time or help. Kids still need to learn a little about working independently/at home for future careers! Parents take days off all the time and work from home. It would be difficult if they had never done it before.

i admit: HOMEWORK IS THE WORST THING EVER! in australia we only have about 1 hour of homework, but its kind of helpful sometimes. like when you dont really get a subject or a new topic because your teacher is crap, you go in the text book and thee is everything. and homework is very helpful in those situations. but yeah, i have to say that it is really BAD!

Well let me put it in another way, think home as a way to prepare you for the outside world of school, because homework is used for people to study, research and to think outside the box. It's not the matter of simply copy and pasting an answer from a book, its the matter of understanding the material and then thinking beyond what a book says. Trust home in 1-12 is cake walk compare to college because you get swamped rather quickly with it and on top of that you have to think out the box because when it comes to research papers, one book is not going to cut it.So if you plan on going to college you better enjoy the workloads you get in highschool because it is nothing compared to college course work and homework.